Sign in to follow this  
jannerboyuk

RLWC 2021 to take place at Buckingham Palace

3 hours ago, MattSantos said:

How do the quarter finals work?

Top of A plays who etc? Then how do semis work?

I’d like to know this.

Who will we play in the quarter finals, if there are no upsets in the groups?

Who will we play in the semi finals if the big 4 win their groups and quarter final games?

27 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

I’d like to know this.

Who will we play in the quarter finals, if there are no upsets in the groups?

Who will we play in the semi finals if the big 4 win their groups and quarter final games?

If it follows the traditional 4 group 2 qualify from each group method used by the Euros then its likely to be Fiji at Anfield in the quarters followed by the kiwis at emirates OR the RUWC method being the same QF but Tonga in the semi. 

Edited by Tommygilf

2 hours ago, RP London said:

yes it is... and the point i am making is that to them it doesnt matter at all about the Jason Robinson thing.. it will not make them question anything and if it does they will simply google him and find out about his RL heritage.. 

you are making an everest sized mountain out of the smallest of molehills. 

No.. you are !  I never said it was wrong for Robinson to do the draw (yes that would be negative), I just asked if it might have been better to have someone better-known for his RL involvement.  You have seemingly read into it to find something which is not there.  There is a difference between being "negative" and being "not positive" ... yes my original comment maybe was the latter but certainly not the former.

Edited by RL does what Sky says

For this occasion, Jason Robinson was an absolutely perfect choice.

As a Rugby League player, he was superb... 329 club appearances with over 300 for Wigan and 19 test caps.  As a Rugby League player he had all the credentials to be there.

Then add in that alongside Jonny Wilkinson he is the closest we have to a household name in 'rugby' and you have a name that will grab the attention of casual viewers.

I cannot see how anyone can see Robinson being there as a negative (and I cannot see how anyone can see Robinson being there as a 'non positive')

• Like 3

What a fantastic occasion!

I normally could care less about a major sporting draw as an event, but we struck gold this time (with a touch of fortune obviously over the timing of current events).

Can’t wait for it now!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I can see NZ and Jamaica being based around Leeds and Donny.

There are 3 big stadiums that need filling for non-England games: Boro, Hull and Coventry.

I presume they will host the marquee games in the other groups: Aus vs Fiji, NZ vs Lebanon and Tonga vs PNG. 

Is there a natural tie-up for any of those?I reckon TongaPNG for Hull, the other 2 could go either way. 

I desperately need to see Tonga this tournament, and the Tonga/PNG is arguably the best game of the group phase. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

For this occasion, Jason Robinson was an absolutely perfect choice.

As a Rugby League player, he was superb... 329 club appearances with over 300 for Wigan and 19 test caps.  As a Rugby League player he had all the credentials to be there.

Then add in that alongside Jonny Wilkinson he is the closest we have to a household name in 'rugby' and you have a name that will grab the attention of casual viewers.

I cannot see how anyone can see Robinson being there as a negative (and I cannot see how anyone can see Robinson being there as a 'non positive')

A cynic might suggest today’s ball grabbers ticked some boxes.

3 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Then they'd be being cynical for the sake of it and on no real basis. One is the patron of the host nations national governing body, the second was a successful Olympian and current chair of UK sport, the third was a very successful rugby league player who went on to be successful in Rugby Union as well and is well known across the country (as well as being a RLWC2021 ambassador and team manager for Jamaica).

How anyone could be cynical about that I'll never understand.

Edited by Tommygilf
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

A cynic may do.

Personally I would say they ticked all the boxes.

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

There are 3 big stadiums that need filling for non-England games: Boro, Hull and Coventry.

I presume they will host the marquee games in the other groups: Aus vs Fiji, NZ vs Lebanon and Tonga vs PNG. 

Is there a natural tie-up for any of those?I reckon TongaPNG for Hull, the other 2 could go either way. 

I desperately need to see Tonga this tournament, and the Tonga/PNG is arguably the best game of the group phase. 

Yeah I remember reading that Boro and Cov had both been given "Marquee non England games", with Boro definitely hosting the Kangaroos. If they host Fiji on the opening weekend then it could make a nice trip for travelling fans to the north east for the England opener against Samoa to tag on. 

I agree that I can see Hull getting that group D clash between Tonga and PNG. 

It will be interesting to see which group games happen where. Warrington, St Helens, Leigh, Newcastle (opener aside) and Doncaster each have 3 group games and Headingley has 2. As you said Cov, Boro and Hull each have group games also. All of these are non-England games. (my only disappointment is the lack of a London or South-West presence in the group stages)

I'd imagine Scotland would be earmarked for Newcastle whilst Warrington for Wales? Other than that Ireland, New Zealand or Jamaica could be happily based at Leeds.

Personally I'm a fan of close games between unfancied teams I never get to see much of, so an Ireland v Jamaica or Scotland v Lebanon for example. Greece v France could be a classic if the French get caught off guard and the crowd gets behind the Greeks. With 2 qualifying spots in each group now every team can aspire to the knockout stages.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

The last time Tonga played PNG in Hull, it was apparently a classic. This time, it'll be on a TV channel everyone can watch, so it had better be good!

• Like 1

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

The team have done near on everything right so far and have also benefitted from fortunate circumstances!

The draw is good. The advance of Pacific nations means that games like England vs Samoa and Tonga vs PNG should be brilliant.

The fair group structure adds credibility and means the group you were drawn in doesn't unfairly advantage or disadvantage.

Also by not starting with England vs Aus we give ourselves a shot at a huge crowd against a tier 2 nation and the anticipation will be greater if we play Australia later in the tournament.

There's a lot of tickets to sell and lot of work still needed to succeed, but we've made the best possible start!

Edited by Chris22
  • Like 8

Twitter: @TrylineBlog 
Latest Blog: Wigan vs Leeds 1998 Grand Final - Watchalong! - LINK: https://thetryline.blogspot.com/2020/04/tryline-blog-watch-along-3.html

1 minute ago, weloveyouwakefield2 said:

high profile idiot gets involved in rugby league draw...

Those Cups look bleeding impressive.

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Yeah I remember reading that Boro and Cov had both been given "Marquee non England games", with Boro definitely hosting the Kangaroos. If they host Fiji on the opening weekend then it could make a nice trip for travelling fans to the north east for the England opener against Samoa to tag on. 

I agree that I can see Hull getting that group D clash between Tonga and PNG. 

It will be interesting to see which group games happen where. Warrington, St Helens, Leigh, Newcastle (opener aside) and Doncaster each have 3 group games and Headingley has 2. As you said Cov, Boro and Hull each have group games also. All of these are non-England games. (my only disappointment is the lack of a London or South-West presence in the group stages)

I'd imagine Scotland would be earmarked for Newcastle whilst Warrington for Wales? Other than that Ireland, New Zealand or Jamaica could be happily based at Leeds.

Personally I'm a fan of close games between unfancied teams I never get to see much of, so an Ireland v Jamaica or Scotland v Lebanon for example. Greece v France could be a classic if the French get caught off guard and the crowd gets behind the Greeks. With 2 qualifying spots in each group now every team can aspire to the knockout stages.

Apart from Kingston Park, all the non-marquee venues are so close together I reckon they might just rotate all the teams around them, rather than having teams staying in one or two places. Depends if you think local communities want to adopt a team as their own, or see as many teams as possible. If they're going to hit their ticket targets they're going to have to sell a lot beyond the local area anyway. I also think Tonga, Aus and NZ need to be spread as widely as possible round the country. 

• Like 1

rob burrow should have been doing the draw with harry- not a union defector and traitor to tgg.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but the crows are just as black

21 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

The team have done near on everything right so far and have also benefitted from fortunate circumstances!

The draw is good. The advance of Pacific nations means that games like England vs Samoa and Tonga vs PNG should be brilliant.

The fair group structure adds credibility and means the group you were drawn in doesn't unfairly advantage or disadvantage.

Also by not starting with England vs Aus we give ourselves a shot at a huge crowd against a tier 2 nation and the anticipation will be greater if we play Australia later in the tournament.

There's a lot of tickets to sell and lot of work still needed to succeed, but we've made the best possible start!

I was sceptical about the draw structure because I was sceptical about the ability of the sport to sell the tournament without a blockbuster to start with. 

But the organisers have exceeded every expectation and I'm delighted to have been proved wrong. Early days, but this could really be something special. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

I was sceptical about the draw structure because I was sceptical about the ability of the sport to sell the tournament without a blockbuster to start with. 

But the organisers have exceeded every expectation and I'm delighted to have been proved wrong. Early days, but this could really be something special. 

I genuinely think we should be selling out the opener. And that would be a record for a tournament opener IIRC and that is despite always rigging it for a Big3 clash. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Toby Chopra said:

Parody account, right? 

cant believe Craig Charles could fit this in between his radio and tv commitments anyway

the grass may be greener on the other side of the fence but the crows are just as black

27 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

rob burrow should have been doing the draw with harry- not a union defector and traitor to tgg.

Not the only person trolling the RWC draw - former z-list sleb turned multiply-bankrupt oaf Katie Hopkins also tried to have a go. You can tell a lot about someone from the company they keep.

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Not the only person trolling the RWC draw - former z-list sleb turned multiply-bankrupt oaf Katie Hopkins also tried to have a go. You can tell a lot about someone from the company they keep.

just would rather have offiah or hanley or Sculthorpe involved not players known better  for puling on the rah rah jersey and kicking rl in the teeth- LEAGUE FOREVER- UNION NEVER

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toby Chopra said:

Apart from Kingston Park, all the non-marquee venues are so close together I reckon they might just rotate all the teams around them, rather than having teams staying in one or two places. Depends if you think local communities want to adopt a team as their own, or see as many teams as possible. If they're going to hit their ticket targets they're going to have to sell a lot beyond the local area anyway. I also think Tonga, Aus and NZ need to be spread as widely as possible round the country. 

I think there is scope for both approaches, teams will have "training bases too", the first of these announced being Preston so I imagine they will stick close to them.

I wasn't able to watch the draw live as I was at work but I've just watched it back on the BBC website.  Wow!  Given that snippets of the draw have been shown repeatedly on both Sky and the BBC this evening, holding the draw at Buck House with Harry involved must be the best bit of publicity the sport has ever pulled off.  Whoever did pull it off deserves an OBE!  I've never enjoyed a draw as much as I enjoyed that one.  It was so well done and Harry brought his humour to the event which really was the cream on top.

Great stuff.

Oh, and there were some fascinating draws too.  I've already lined up a match from each of the three tournaments that I would like to watch live.

• Like 3

Wonderful wonderful occasion. Just watched a replay and this is absolutely unprecedented coverage - albeit with a stroke of fortune due to current events.

Went over to the Australian sites to see if it got a mention. The sports section of SMH and Fox Sports sites gave it 0 coverage despite the World Champions finding out their opponents. Shame.

• Like 1