coronavirus

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Did he make it clear he’d be standing outside or doing it online?

Because, y’know, otherwise it might be open to interpretation.

Which is the point.

It was confirmed not long after, it would be via Skype. 

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

It was confirmed not long after, it would be via Skype. 

Was it? Genuinely didn’t see that.

Do you have a link?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

17 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Did he make it clear he’d be standing outside or doing it online?

Because, y’know, otherwise it might be open to interpretation.

Which is the point.

I know that you don’t like him but even you can understand the difference between seeing & visiting and that you were incorrect with your statement

Whether deliberately or not only you know

For those STILL not sure how social distancing and isolation helps, here’s a powerful graphic illustration:

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

3 minutes ago, LeeF said:

I know that you don’t like him but even you can understand the difference between seeing & visiting and that you were incorrect with your statement

If I say (or hear) the phrase “seeing” in relation to someone, such as “I saw him yesterday” I would assume that that was an actual physical thing. You need context/clarification to take it online.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, ckn said:

For those STILL not sure how social distancing and isolation helps, here’s a powerful graphic illustration:

Has there been a single TV ad about any of this?

A video from the US.  The first store had a limit of 1 of any item i.e. 1 tin of beans, 1 tin of soup.  So it isn't just over here that it is happening.  Later in the video they go to Walmart and there is a queue going around 10-12 aisles that is just for toilet paper.

3 hours ago, Smudger06 said:

Screenshot_20200322-163337_Samsung Internet.jpg

Sorry to nag you for this, I really would be interested in the source if you would have it?

Thanks

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Less than ten days ago the Prime Minister was shaking the hands of everyone he met and saying that there was no need to do anything as gauche as insisting a mass gathering of 60,000 horse racing fans be stopped.

Journalists, and others, constantly pressing him is needed at this time because he's not giving much of an impression of being proactive.

One for the political thread? 

13 minutes ago, JohnM said:

One for the political thread? 

Yes, probably.

On my phone, I don’t always notice which one I’m on.

28 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

Here's the website the page Smudger quotes comes from. Not sure where the main sources are from, other than press links.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

Thanks!

It is always going to be unreliable, as we do not really have much idea of the total number of cases I would suggest. The 5,683 figure does look very low (we have an estimate of ten times that in Denmark alone, which is ahead but has a tenth of the population).

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

48 minutes ago, LeeF said:

If you knew you were Skypeing someone, you wouldn't say you were "seeing" them, you would "call" or "Skype" them.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

So I haven't been shopping for 4 days.

My daughter will get us some milk etc but before long I am going to need a top up and things like washing powder and liquids are heavy. So I ordered on line, well I tried to order on line. I completed a list which was by no complete but would do.

I got to the vinegar stroke on the choose a slot page of the Tesco website. No slots available to the last option of 11 April. So non available to pick.

Went to Morrison's and tried to order. Another long winded procedure but the option of slots ended on 28 March.

That's an hour of my life I will never get back.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

5 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

The UK loses 10,000 people every year to the flu. Given that it's primarily a winter infection, we can estimate 500 per week for 20 weeks.

According to the Daily Mail today, we have lost 240 to Coronavirus in, say, 2 months. That's 30 a week. The UK is, on the face of it, completely over-reacting.

Since you're keen on statistics here are a few for you:

It took 90 days to record the first confirmed 100,000 cases. The second 100,000 took 12 days to record. The third 100,000 – recorded today – took just four days.

3 minutes ago, Bearman said:

So I haven't been shopping for 4 days.

My daughter will get us some milk etc but before long I am going to need a top up and things like washing powder and liquids are heavy. So I ordered on line, well I tried to order on line. I completed a list which was by no complete but would do.

I got to the vinegar stroke on the choose a slot page of the Tesco website. No slots available to the last option of 11 April. So non available to pick.

Went to Morrison's and tried to order. Another long winded procedure but the option of slots ended on 28 March.

That's an hour of my life I will never get back.

I am being a gentleman. Honestly.

There is no point on me going into the supermarket, as it would double the wife's risk of being infected. So, I stay out, while she goes in, as she bizarrely enjoys shopping.

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Less than ten days ago the Prime Minister was shaking the hands of everyone he met and saying that there was no need to do anything as gauche as insisting a mass gathering of 60,000 horse racing fans be stopped.

Journalists, and others, constantly pressing him is needed at this time because he's not giving much of an impression of being proactive.

It's called a fluid situation , he has made that quite clear , he has ruled nothing out , but will only take action at the right time , I doubt he'll give much notice either 

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

It's called a fluid situation , he has made that quite clear , he has ruled nothing out , but will only take action at the right time , I doubt he'll give much notice either 

That's one way of putting it. Another would be that he got things wrong and after realising he cocked up changed his mind.

9 minutes ago, Damien said:

That's one way of putting it. Another would be that he got things wrong and after realising he cocked up changed his mind.

There will be no way of ever knowing if he got it right or wrong , glad it's not me with the responsibility 

This week I have popped into Aldi most evenings to see what is there and if there is anything I want.  I don't "need" anything but would like to get some beans.  Each time there has been none apart from 4 packs of Heinz for £2.99.  Nah, I'm good until I can get some own brand.

I was out this morning to take cards round to my mum.  I did keep my distance, but when I said I was going to ASDA she asked for some stuff.  So I go down to ASDA and get her 2x beef joints & some wash capsules.  Me, I got 6x tomatoes and some mushrooms.  No beans at all.  They were low on a lot of stuff.  On the way back home, I went to Sainsburys Local and got nothing again.  I was only after some sandwich meat and basmati rice.  No rice and the meat was very expensive - 3 slices of beef for £1.95 - I should have got a joint of beef for myself as well.

I also went to the Eastern European shop across the road.  Nicely stocked but didn't have what I wanted.  

And I will say that I keep forgetting to look for beans - I will look in the shop opposite work tomorrow.

I expect a full closure of non essential business by the end of the week.

1 minute ago, Damien said:

All UK and Ireland McDonalds to close from tomorrow evening. It feels like the entire country is shutting down:

Yep , my daughter who works for them part time while at Uni will be home shortly from her possibly last ever shift , she'll not be in a good mood ?

Archived