coronavirus

2 hours ago, Saintslass said:

Alternatively, the Health Secretary could have caught it first and passed it on to the PM.  Or the chief medical officer could have been the spreader.  You have no idea and nor does that twit Codwallop.

Even someone who is carrying as much water as you are for the Conservative party, should be able to accept that this was terrible, terrible advide from the Prime Minister. Whether it's where he picked it up form is somewhat moot.

(should being the operative word there).

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

The virus does not care how long you are out of the home.

Stop this.

The key thing is it can be exploited, the police will need something possible to police, rather than a highly complicated model for minimising transmission.

Give it a rest. 

Stop what? Posting things you don't agree with on the internet? 

Tell the government and the police to stop this. It's clear as day that everything is geared towards minimising the amount of time you are outside the home;

"These reasons are exceptions - even when doing these activities, you should be MINIMISING time spent outside of the home and ensuring you are 2 metres apart from anyone outside of your household." 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/full-guidance-on-staying-at-home-and-away-from-others/full-guidance-on-staying-at-home-and-away-from-others

2 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Give it a rest. 

Stop what? Posting things you don't agree with on the internet? 

Tell the government and the police to stop this. It's clear as day that everything is geared towards minimising the amount of time you are outside the home;

"These reasons are exceptions - even when doing these activities, you should be MINIMISING time spent outside of the home and ensuring you are 2 metres apart from anyone outside of your household." 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/full-guidance-on-staying-at-home-and-away-from-others/full-guidance-on-staying-at-home-and-away-from-others

Bob, I am pleased you can see that this exception can be exploited. The other reasons can be easily verified with a line of questioning and some simple enquiries if needed. ?

21 minutes ago, M j M said:

Even someone who is carrying as much water as you are for the Conservative party, should be able to accept that this was terrible, terrible advide from the Prime Minister. Whether it's where he picked it up form is somewhat moot.

(should being the operative word there).

There is a separate section for red mist political posters and their posts.

36 minutes ago, JohnM said:

There is a separate section for red mist political posters and their posts.

Identifying public figures who are giving bad advice is not political. although it's fascinating that you think it is.

This is apolitical just something i thought of

ALL visas/work permits state "No recourse to public funds" so can their employers claim the 80% furlough amount AND?OR can the person claim benefits in this case as officially as soon as out of work they only have 60 days grace to find another job or leave the country which could be impossible at present anyway

16 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Smudger,

There is a reason I wrote the pm to you. I was being generous.

You have lectured me on scientific data and the thinking behind pandemic response.

I am a PhD scientist, have spent much of my professional career working with viruses and vaccines and have actually worked on pandemic response. I told you this, and yet you continue to preach at me. Stop it. They are foolish posts.

I certainly know what people working on a response will have been thinking of in part. This is very different to a  serious flu pandemic. Being outside is positively beneficial in tackling viruses, as fresh air and sunlight both seem to help. You do not know the mechanism for this. This is outweighed by person to person contact.

Once the police have to enforce it there are different pressures.

Being outside is not the issue. The issue is minimising person to person contact. Keeping people inside is not the aim of the policy, that is what can be policed most easily. If we could trust everyone to act responsibly, people driving to the woods for their exercise would be the best thing. But, how do we police that? We have to come up with a suitable blunt tool, and we have a duty to accept that. It is about populations rather than us as individuals.

You know the people who repost false memes on Facebook? They are not malicious, they are just reposting what they think is useful information. You are doing the same.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

9 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Smudger,

There is a reason I wrote the pm to you. I was being generous.

You have lectured me on scientific data and the thinking behind pandemic response.

I am a PhD scientist, have spent much of my professional career working with viruses and vaccines and have actually worked on pandemic response. I told you this, and yet you continue to preach at me. Stop it. They are foolish posts.

I certainly know what people working on a response will have been thinking of in part. This is very different to a  serious flu pandemic. Being outside is positively beneficial in tackling viruses, as fresh air and sunlight both seem to help. You do not know the mechanism for this. This is outweighed by person to person contact.

Once the police have to enforce it there are different pressures.

Being outside is not the issue. The issue is minimising person to person contact. Keeping people inside is not the aim of the policy, that is what can be policed most easily. If we could trust everyone to act responsibly, people driving to the woods for their exercise would be the best thing. But, how do we police that? We have to come up with a suitable blunt tool, and we have a duty to accept that. It is about populations rather than us as individuals.

You know the people who repost false memes on Facebook? They are not malicious, they are just reposting what they think is useful information. You are doing the same.

The thing is fella, I ain't reposting false memes. 

Ive lectured you on nothing. Not a thing. 

Mate, you don't need a PhD to know that been outside is not the issue. 

What I am posting is essentially to stay at home, that is the most useful information. Stay at home Bob. 

1 minute ago, Bob8 said:

Sweet Lord.

Please, be less stupid. Or consider you are nowhere near as smart as you think you are.

Do not lecture secientists on science.

I'll try not to Bob. But it depends on if there is substantial evidence that they could be wrong. 

862 deaths in Spain yesterday. Even though there are very strict rules a couple down my street has just had visitors in there villa even though it is strictly forbidden to visit neighbours or family or social mix. Just this morning in my area the dog walking law as been strengthened because people,mostly Brits are completely ignoring the law. Now the Local Police are stopping dog walkers,asking their address and want proof there and then,if they are more than 100 metres from their own home they will be fined. I have just relayed this to the couple who are also dog walkers.Their reaction, I could not care less I am still walking my dog as it will not go to the toilet in our garden and it needs the exercise. This couple walk 2 or 3 kilometres twice a day. I am praying they get stopped and issued with a big fine.If they do not get stopped I personally will report them and I have told them that.

5 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Sweet Lord.

Please, be less stupid. Or consider you are nowhere near as smart as you think you are.

Do not lecture secientists on science.

Can you PLEASE give it a break? BOTH OF YOU. I simply don't have time to moderate this forum and want to actually enjoy it in my time off.

Pick one of:

1. Learn to live in harmony;
2. Put each other on ignore AND ABIDE BY IT; or
3. Keep going and run the risk of being binned from the forum.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

2 posts removed, don't have time to do more as my brew is ready and I need to get back to work.

(inc one by Robin who did absolutely nothing wrong but his post was out of place now in referring to the other deleted post!)

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

2 minutes ago, ckn said:

Can you PLEASE give it a break? BOTH OF YOU. I simply don't have time to moderate this forum and want to actually enjoy it in my time off.

Pick one of:

1. Learn to live in harmony;
2. Put each other on ignore AND ABIDE BY IT; or
3. Keep going and run the risk of being binned from the forum.

Sorry CKN. 

Thinking outside the box from Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland:

First ever Aer Lingus flight to China takes off

Under these most unusual circumstances, the first ever Aer Lingus flight to China has taken off.

The plane left Ireland today and is travelling to pick up much-needed personal protection equipment (PPE).

Yesterday, Finance Minister Conor Murphy said Northern Ireland had entered a joint deal with the Republic and would receive equipment as part of this.

Between now and Tuesday, 10 flights will make the journey to China, and will bring back about €225m (£200m) worth of the equipment.

It is much higher than the Irish healthcare service's usual €15m (£13.5m) annual spend.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-northern-ireland-52075082

3 minutes ago, JohnM said:

The ignore list is a useful facility to avoid adding to ckn's load. 

It is used now ?

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

UK death figure breaks the 1000 barrier ?

A pretty vicious rise. Not sure what else to say. What’s done is done. I fear things are about to get a lot, lot bleaker.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Shamelessly knicked from the BBC (and Johns Hopkins data), logarithmic plots of death figures for a few European countries. The (albeit small) positive is that the graph for Italy is slowly flattening and may also be for the UK and possibly Spain, although there is still a long, long way to go before we start to feel less pain and things start to ease (fingers crossed that these trends continue). Graph for Germany doesn't look great considering all the stuff I've been reading about how they're managing things better.

68ff113a-e44f-42a1-9854-b3cb81a8e209.png

003e8a5f-e592-4c8d-8bb7-d6f63488edae.jpeg

3 hours ago, Saintslass said:

Are you from Wigan per chance? ? 

Following on from my previous post about the Eccleston face guard crew, it seems my local NHS Trust is well supplied with PPE.  This is a relief as in St Helens our hospitalised (ie known) cases are doubling every 24 hours now: from 8 two days ago, to 32 today.

How dare you! That is one of the most slanderous, despicable, shameful things I have ever been called (and I have been called a few things in my time!) I would have you know I am from the sunny side of the Pennines and have no part in you're local tribal squabbles ?

4 hours ago, JohnM said:

I've raised this before when initislly lots of people were arriving at Heathrow etc. Tourists and so on. I adek on here if anyone knew what was being done to communicate advice and rules to people who neither read nor spoke English. 

Are there no such people or does everyone speak and read English? 

Why is that appearing to be racist? 

I haven't read the whole thread John, but I haven't seen anybody call your question racist. But I think GJ covered the fact that there has been literature in foreign languages. 

Archived