Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Damien said:

Google and Apple are involved in the NHS app. This is quite clear from every report I have read today, even now looking at the original Times article that sparked this conversation it explicitly says Google and Apple are involved. All of the tracking functionality will be coming from Apple and Google and as 98% of phones and tablets use iOS or Android then this simply wouldn't be possible without them. They will be packaging up all of this data and providing Web API's, or something similar, for health organisations all over the world to extract the data for their own individual apps, like the NHS one. The data is key for something like this to work. As is getting people to use the app which with huge privacy concerns may not be that simple. 

Today's reports indicate you are correct with their involvement so point taken. I do maintain though that it was unfair to claim there would be no app without their new service as they were already working on it prior to the Google/Apple initiative (existing bluetooth and related APIs I believe).  Good to see a software project take the long term view rather than the more common bodge it and (never) fix later approach. Hopefully switching to the Google/Apple service makes managing privacy concerns a lot easier as well.

Edited by Moove
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well... after 66 days in ICU my sister's fella who was described as being as near to death as can be without dying.... has made it. He's home. Half the fella he was.... and the virus has ravaged his l

I'm not putting up with this goading of a volunteer moderator who does a sterling job on my behalf generally on here, but especially recently when I was ill for almost a month with what might well hav

Well my sister's fella is making very small steps in the right direction. From being described as as near to death without being dead, he's now sat up, off dialysis and yesterday was breathing on

Posted Images

Belgium probably has the most conservative reporting of deaths in Europe. Look at their numbers and scale them.

Calculating how few a percentage are dying is ridiculous. This is an exponentially growing infection and without lockdown there could be half a million deaths or more and the NHS would collapse.

The government aren't doing this because they want to. 

  • Like 3

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve been offline working since 10am, no reports so I’m assuming all’s ok and I’m not reading back the thread as I’m knackered. If you wildly disagree, hit report on what you think is out of order and I’ll look back later. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tim2 said:

Belgium probably has the most conservative reporting of deaths in Europe. Look at their numbers and scale them.

Calculating how few a percentage are dying is ridiculous. This is an exponentially growing infection and without lockdown there could be half a million deaths or more and the NHS would collapse.

The government aren't doing this because they want to. 

Deaths per 100,000 population for a few European countries. Belgium looks particularly bad

europe.png

Edited by Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Clogiron said:

I wasn't surprised when the figures announced on Thursday and Friday spiked, timely to emphasize the Government message for the Easter holiday. On the same theme I should imagine the figures for PPE issued include gloves as 1 item not as pairs so 1 million looks better than 500,000 pairs, they come in boxes of 50 or 100 so it's strictly true to count them as such.

There is the same pattern every week: hospital death numbers dip at weekends and on Monday/Tuesday and then they shoot up on Wednesday/Thursday and fall back slightly on Friday.  The difference between each week is of course that the numbers have consistently gone up.  It's a fluctuation based upon the way we record our deaths.  In each total there are deaths from the previous 10 days included so it is really hard for us to know what the overall hospital death picture is other than at present an upward trend.  But then hospital deaths will be the last number to stabilise and then drop so there will be only increases in the next few weeks, sadly.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Another consequence of coronavirus:

There are a lot of unforeseen consequences of the coronavirus lockdown - and one is more people suffering eye injuries from doing DIY.

Oxford Eye Hospital said it had seen an increase in injuries and people who needed operations.

The hospital saw six "traumatised eyes" in a week, but would usually see one no more than every two to three weeks. It urged people to wear eye protection while doing DIY or gardening.

The hospital added wearing glasses instead of contact lenses would also protect the eyes and reduce the chance of spreading coronavirus.

Consultant Stella Hornby said: "Wearing glasses at the moment reduces the risk of contact lens-related complications, and reduces the need to touch your face."

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Niels said:

The reporting of people seems to be getting out of control. Four police came to a house in our street last night, a Police van and a car.  

I have upset people here in the past with comments about police but I don't care.... This is the worst possible use of police resources in my view

Worse than traffic police..... Easy pickings compared to tracking assaults/gang members/ anti social violence and intimidation in the community....... My brother was assaulted unprovoked in a town centre during the day and police didn't bother coming to interview him for 3 days citing stretched resources.....

He did however get pulled over a month later and 3points/ftp for doing 35mph on a main road at 10pm which is as wide a motorway that has been designated 30mph

Tarred our whole families view of policings decisions and allocation of resources 

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I have upset people here in the past with comments about police but I don't care.... This is the worst possible use of police resources in my view

Worse than traffic police..... Easy pickings compared to tracking assaults/gang members/ anti social violence and intimidation in the community....... My brother was assaulted unprovoked in a town centre during the day and police didn't bother coming to interview him for 3 days citing stretched resources.....

He did however get pulled over a month later and 3points/ftp for doing 35mph on a main road at 10pm which is as wide a motorway that has been designated 30mph

Tarred our whole families view of policings decisions and allocation of resources 

 

 

It may not be a palatable concept.... BUT, if your brother was doing 30mph or less he wouldn't have got collared.

The research is there with regards to the consequences of speeding and the rise in death rates from collisions as speed increases.

Whether the police came up short in attending to your brother is an entirely different argument and not related to how he drives. 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

It may not be a palatable concept.... BUT, if your brother was doing 30mph or less he wouldn't have got collared.

The research is there with regards to the consequences of speeding and the rise in death rates from collisions as speed increases.

Whether the police came up short in attending to your brother is an entirely different argument and not related to how he drives. 

Prior to the lockdown, GMP always seem to have resources available for the pie shop.

Only time you see them out of the van round here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BryanC said:

Prior to the lockdown, GMP always seem to have resources available for the pie shop.

Only time you see them out of the van round here.

I always see them in tesco.... not a job I want or would do. But those I know doing that job are being expected to plait fog! Another essential service drastically starved of funding.

Edited by Robin Evans
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

I always see them in tesco.... not a job I want or would do. But those I know doing that job are being expected to plait fog! Another essential service drastically starved of funding.

Another essential service that would rather spend time and resources on investigating off-colour comments on social media, rather than get it's hands dirty tackling real criminals.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BryanC said:

Another essential service that would rather spend time and resources on investigating off-colour comments on social media, rather than get it's hands dirty tackling real criminals.

How do you know they would "rather do that"?

How much time and resources is spent on internet policing compared with detection hours in CID? Just to back up your argument...

The local CID are chocka block with work. They would much sooner have more resources to do more.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Saintslass said:

I think until mid March the overall death rate across the UK was about average for that time of year, any year, but during March the numbers crossed into being higher than average because of course flu usually subsides as the spring arrives whereas Covid does not seem to respect climate (or anything else).

I actually find myself being a bit concerned about countries where Covid hasn't really hit hard because I wonder that once we come out the other side of this and we begin to open things up again, will the lack of exposure/illness in other countries create a second pandemic?  Surely in order for us to be protected in the future we either have to find a treatment which helps get people better, develop a super effective vaccine or eradicate it completely from the whole world smallpox style?  Unless it dies out of its own accord of course.

The figures I've seen for total deaths in England and Wales during March are about 1000 (ca10%) up on the previous 5 years average. Whether that is a statistically significant difference (and due to Corona) I've no idea and until the statisticians crunch the numbers we won't know.

Edited by Les Tonks Sidestep
Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting:

Spain, one of the countries worst hit by the coronavirus, is beginning to ease strict lockdown measures that have brought its economy to a standstill.

People in manufacturing, construction and some services are being allowed to return to work, but must stick to strict safety guidelines.

The rest of the population must still remain at home.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52267376

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Damien said:

Interesting:

Spain, one of the countries worst hit by the coronavirus, is beginning to ease strict lockdown measures that have brought its economy to a standstill.

People in manufacturing, construction and some services are being allowed to return to work, but must stick to strict safety guidelines.

The rest of the population must still remain at home.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52267376

Spain's easing looks a lot like the UK's current situation?

  • Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Copa said:

Australia is so huge we have a broad range of climates.

Indonesia is hot and is currently ravaged by it. Their official count is low because they simply don’t have the resources to test. The Indonesian language media refers to people dying, being wrapped in plastic and buried without testing.

Indeed Indonesia is difficult to predict how it will go. It has the potential to be devastating.

The latest figures are:

  • 4,557 cases
  • 3,778 under treatment
  • 380 recovered
  • 399 deaths.

There is a population of 260 million on a sprawling archipelago of 17,000 islands.

However, 2/3 of that population live on the very densely populated island of Java, where the majority of cases have been reported. (315 of 399 deaths in Java, with 204 in the capital Jakarta alone).

There is an advantage for isolation in that transport between the islands can be closed down. The responsibility for dealing with the outbreak has been delegated to local district governments. This means the rules and their application are very mixed.

They did start self-isolation, social distancing fairly early in the piece, but there is practically zero capacity to deal with any severe cases. I'm in my 5th week of working from home.

The stats from the official government source look rather strange. Testing is generally not available. The numbers are relatively small, for now, but the shape of the graph for new cases is very worrying considering, in theory, action has already been taken.

http://covid19.bnpb.go.id

1111630891_covid19Indonesia13-4-20.thumb.png.bb5e8a0709de6f3c56368fa09dafc624.png

Also, it is worrying that of those positive cases, more have died (meninggal) than have recovered (sembuh). This could be for a variety of reasons. It could be that they're only testing critical cases or that the lack of ICU facilities means that anyone who becomes really ill will die.

The big challenge will be next month when, traditionally, people travel back to their home town / village for the end of Ramadan (Mudik). Politically, it will be very difficult to prevent this, but it could be just at the worst time for spread of the virus.

The curve needs to be made extremely flat here, but how long can the current lock-down situation be sustained?

Edited by Wholly Trinity
add Java stats
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...