Sign in to follow this  
Mr Plow

Invincibles

Has any team ever gone a full season in the top division without being beaten? I recall Dewsbury did it a few years ago in the third division I think.

Could Saints go this season unbeaten?

17 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Has any team ever gone a full season in the top division without being beaten? I recall Dewsbury did it a few years ago in the third division I think.

Could Saints go this season unbeaten?

No. Too many games to be constantly 'on'. That's ignoring whether it's even worth it, rather than rotating and building for the back end of the season.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

No. Too many games to be constantly 'on'. That's ignoring whether it's even worth it, rather than rotating and building for the back end of the season.

29 games unbeaten is a big task especially with golden point meaning you have to win every game. I do think 22 games with no GP could be do able

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr Plow said:

29 games unbeaten is a big task especially with golden point meaning you have to win every game. I do think 22 games with no GP could be do able

I think it would be doable (Saints came pretty close in 2006, largest defeat was 4 points), but that sort of consistency means you probably haven't rotated your team much. With our crazy season length, it isn't worth it! We're still also a bit vulnerable with kicking to Grace, Naiqama defending shape and our lack of a long kicking game.

Beat Salford first game and it’s definitely a season unbeaten.

Edited by Tex Evans Thigh
  • Haha 1

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Is there summat missing from the thread title?

The apostrophe would suggest so.

• Like 1

RADFORD OUT!

I can't be bothered checking but isn't this about the fourth time that an early season thread has asked if Saints can go unbeaten?  I think the others might have at least waited until they had won three or four games.

• Haha 1

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Keep reading and hearing that saints will walk it this year, can't see it myself. With an unchanged squad they should start well but I think other clubs will improve later when their new signings settle in and I can  see Wigan, Warrington, hull and one or two others having a big say when the trophies are handed out. 

Edited by ELBOWSEYE

38 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Keep reading and hearing that saints will walk it this year, can't see it myself. With an unchanged squad they should start well but I think other clubs will improve later when their new signings settle in and I can  see Wigan, Warrington, hull and one or two others having a big say when the trophies are handed out. 

Seen plenty predicting a Saints win/top spot, which makes sense given how far ahead we were last season and it's the same squad with improving youngsters. Haven't seen many (if any) say we'll walk it though, would be pretty daft to think that. These threads are usually started so people can come back after a couple of defeats and claim how arrogant the fans were.

As for the original serious question in the OP though, has any team actually gone unbeaten in the top flight?

12 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

In the wartime season of 1940-41 the teams were divided into county leagues with the winners then playing each other in the championship final.  Wigan were therefore in their "top division", winning 15 and drawing 1 of their 16 matches.

There may be other instances but, although not in the top division, Hull won all 26 of their division 2 league games during the 1978-79 season.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, RL does what Sky says said:

NO, the apostrophe just doesn't need to be there.

Like the capital “O” in “No”?

It's time to say bye for now to this thread.  See you next February.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

vincible
/ˈvɪnsɪb(ə)l/
adjective
LITERARY
  1. (of an opponent or obstacle) able to be overcome or conquered.