Marc Sneyd.

After Hull's golden point win at Wakey last night, I was walking out of the ground talking to a fellow Hull fan that I know but not someone I talk to regularly. 

I mentioned Sneyd coming to our rescue once again and he replied, in no uncertain terms, that if it wasn't for his defensive lapses and lack of creativity in attack, we'd have won far more games during his time at Hull FC than he's ever won us with his goalkicking.

Now I will admit that I think his opinion is valid to an extent, Sneyd isn't the strongest defensively, but I still think he has a good attacking brain and creates most of whatever little structural creativity my team has these days. And, of course, his kicking game is nearly always pinpoint, both from his hands and also from the kicking tee.

So, I was kind of curious to hear what fans of other clubs make of the man. If he divides opinions of Hull fans then I have a feeling the replies I get are hardly to be all that complimentary towards him.

At the end of the day, or rather, match, I would guess his name would be right up there when it comes to choosing a golden point kicker or touchline converter, but that aside, does anybody have a good word for him?

Oh, and to Kenny Tiger, your views are well documented mate, I imagine there will be a line formed by the words..he, is, does, all and kick in your reply. ?

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Players aren’t robots and it’s why you have individuals with different but complementary skill sets. He’s clearly in the team because of his organisation and kicking abilities amongst others, whilst there’ll be players who are in there because they’re better defensively. It’s called a team! 

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

I never think he gets the credit he deserves for his all round game. Obviously everyone knows what an outstanding kicker he is, but he is the one that runs the team. He marshalls the attack, he gets the good ball out to Kelly and Connor for them to do what they do. He doesn't take the line on often, but when he does he is dangerous. He tends to play conservatively, but he has all the tricks when he needs them.

Is he Jonathan Thurston? Of course not, but he is above average in all aspects, and the fact his kicking is so good makes him one of the better scrum halves in the league.

As for defence. Scrum halves aren't there to defend. If he misses a tackle my first question would be who were the guys either side who allowed him to be isolated? And FWIW, I dont think he is that bad a defender anyway. I've definitely seen worse.

He's a good player most of the time, and a very good one in the back end of tight games. I don't think he is international class but he would add something to most Super League teams.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

As I have said on another thread (it was about young Harry Smith). I have been watching the game since 1984 and the one part of the game where we have been consistently and massively behind the Australians is the tactical kicking game.

I have seen over and over how a good tactical half (Sterling, Johns, Thurston, Cronk and more) can strangle the life out of a team.  We seem to think that a quality pack will somehow let us dominate teams but it is the half backs that create field position, not the pack.

We just never seem to produce these half backs and Sneyd is as close as we have at the moment. I think he is an asset to Hull. Whether he could step up to international level is debatable but I think in an international team his contribution would be notable.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Poor attacking strategies and structures are the reason why Sneyd looks less able than he should.

Comes down to the coach.

Look at Wigan in 2009 under Noble and 2010 under Maguire. Same team. Same players (except Deacon in his final season). Completely and utterly different performances.

Radford is very much a "Brian Noble" style coach. Run big and hard and the rest should fall into place.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

35 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

As I have said on another thread (it was about young Harry Smith). I have been watching the game since 1984 and the one part of the game where we have been consistently and massively behind the Australians is the tactical kicking game.

I have seen over and over how a good tactical half (Sterling, Johns, Thurston, Cronk and more) can strangle the life out of a team.  We seem to think that a quality pack will somehow let us dominate teams but it is the half backs that create field position, not the pack.

We just never seem to produce these half backs and Sneyd is as close as we have at the moment. I think he is an asset to Hull. Whether he could step up to international level is debatable but I think in an international team his contribution would be notable.

And yet a succession of coaches have had Sneyd nowhere near the England squad. You have to ask why not.

12 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

And yet a succession of coaches have had Sneyd nowhere near the England squad. You have to ask why not.

Probably the same reason Briers didn’t get much joy with GB.  Both are lightweight and easily muscled out of it in defence whereas Sterling punched above his weight for Australia as did Greg Mackey.

Im 100% with Dunbar in this though.  Our national team have had a poor kicking game for too long and we shouldn’t be as once the balls in the air and in the right place it’s 50/50.  Why we have been bordering on pathetic for so long is a mystery, but one things for sure, Sneyd can do anything with the ball in any given moment and better than anyone in SL.  Pressure isn’t a problem either.

I doubt he’ll ever play for the national side but I think he’d go ok if he got a shot.  

21 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Probably the same reason Briers didn’t get much joy with GB.  Both are lightweight and easily muscled out of it in defence whereas Sterling punched above his weight for Australia as did Greg Mackey.

Im 100% with Dunbar in this though.  Our national team have had a poor kicking game for too long and we shouldn’t be as once the balls in the air and in the right place it’s 50/50.  Why we have been bordering on pathetic for so long is a mystery, but one things for sure, Sneyd can do anything with the ball in any given moment and better than anyone in SL.  Pressure isn’t a problem either.

I doubt he’ll ever play for the national side but I think he’d go ok if he got a shot.  

The one thing about Sneyd that makes me think he could do ok at international level is his composure. He never seems to feel pressure. Some players shy away from those big moments but he seems to revel in them. If you needed to kick a touchline conversion or a 40m drop goal with time running out I'm not sure there is anyone better.

I think he would take playing for England in his stride, and in the right system with a strong pack he would be a real asset.

9 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

I mentioned Sneyd coming to our rescue once again and he replied, in no uncertain terms, that if it wasn't for his defensive lapses and lack of creativity in attack, we'd have won far more games during his time at Hull FC than he's ever won us with his goalkicking.

What a load of utter ######.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

I think he is a good half back, but his game does appear to lack something, maybe consistency? maybe the right desire and application?

He doesn't come across as much of a destructive runner, or a brilliant organiser, but has a very good long and short kicking game.

I get the feeling that he isn't quite at a level that can take a club to success, i don't think he'll go down as a great or a real top class half but on his day he can be as good as any half back we've seen.

3 hours ago, meast said:

I get the feeling that he isn't quite at a level that can take a club to success

Presume you're talking solely about Super League success. He won the Lance Todd Trophy as MoM 2 years running to help Hull claim consecutive Challenge Cups. To me that shows he's a big game player, and I'd have no problem seeing him in an England shirt for that reason.

11 hours ago, Ullman said:

What a load of utter ######.

Indeed.

It may well be a while before our conversational paths cross again.

Thanks to everyone for their honest opinions on this thread btw, makes for interesting reading and is much appreciated.

And that even includes you, JB. ? ?

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

15 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

Greg Mackey never played Rep football did he?

Peter Sterling was around the same height and weight as other Half Backs of the era.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

2 hours ago, Allora said:

Greg Mackey never played Rep football did he?

Peter Sterling was around the same height and weight as other Half Backs of the era.

No he didnt, that I know of anyway, but my comment was based on his stature.  Both him and Sterling got stuck more in but thats not Sneyds game.

Interesting point though.  I wouldve thought Terry Lamb, Friend and maybe Dessie were heavier!

2 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

No he didnt, that I know of anyway, but my comment was based on his stature.  Both him and Sterling got stuck more in but thats not Sneyds game.

Interesting point though.  I wouldve thought Terry Lamb, Friend and maybe Dessie were heavier!

Terry Lamb is a lot heavier nowadays back then he was 80Kg

Des Hasler 79 Kg

Steve Mortimer 78 kg

Ricky Stuart 83 Kg

Alfie Langer 76 Kg

Sterlo was around 78 Kg

1 minute ago, Lowdesert said:

Were these after breakfast of before?

In Lambs case it was before he ate a full Pig.

15 hours ago, meast said:

I think he is a good half back, but his game does appear to lack something, maybe consistency? maybe the right desire and application?

He doesn't come across as much of a destructive runner, or a brilliant organiser, but has a very good long and short kicking game.

I get the feeling that he isn't quite at a level that can take a club to success, i don't think he'll go down as a great or a real top class half but on his day he can be as good as any half back we've seen.

That post is the most contradicting post I've ever seen. He's not a great however he can be as good as we've seen hahahahah haha what a clown comment 

Archived