Devon Ram

Coronavirus: Impact on Rugby League (Merged Threads)

3 hours ago, ojx said:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/mar/14/wakefield-michael-carter-fears-coronavirus-impact-on-some-rugby-league-clubs

It doesn't sound like there is insurance for this kind of thing. If season ticket holders want their money back too, it is going to be carnage. Only a government bail out can save them.

Apparently there is some type of clause in contracts in Australia for “acts of god” that result in financial devastation to the league. If enacted player salaries can be cut and salary caps renegotiated.

i only saw it in the paper yesterday so don’t know much about the details.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Copa said:

Apparently there is some type of clause in contracts in Australia for “acts of god” that result in financial devastation to the league. If enacted player salaries can be cut and salary caps renegotiated.

i only saw it in the paper yesterday so don’t know much about the details.

https://amp.nine.com.au/article/06d8d804-fd8e-492d-aff0-2117b5d3a671

• Like 1

SKY is probably our only hope of earning some cash without people going through the turnstiles.

You'd hope SL and SKY have been discussing this.

SKY have cameras at all grounds so it's possible SL games not being shown on SKY (and maybe even ones that are) could be screened online free of charge to season ticket holders and as a PPV for non-season ticket holders. 

Wouldn't be too difficult to set-up. 

Doesnt help lower league clubs of course, unless SKY used the lower leagues to also fill some gaps in their scheduling.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

23 hours ago, RobertAM said:

For all those incurring financial losses on account of the coronavirus pandemic suggest you collect all documentation and submit statements to the following;

Communist Party of China,

Great Hall of the People,

Tiananmen Square,

Beijing, Peoples Republic of China

att: Xi Jinping, General Secretary

Or Batman

Gotham city

Two things. 

The attendance for the cas game on Sunday will be interesting. Will people stay away in fear of the virus or flock to it as a "last chance to see"?

Secondly, is there a middle ground loophole big enough for SL clubs? What is a mass gathering? Could the clubs limit attendance to 500 per stand and keep them segregated? =2000 fans. Combine this with potential extra income from sky coverage, would this mitigate the worst effects? 

Straw-clutching maybe and also dependent on keeping all players/staff virus-free. Maybe just for challenge cup games to help that limp along?

Not looking good.

36 minutes ago, Wholly Trinity said:

Two things. 

The attendance for the cas game on Sunday will be interesting. Will people stay away in fear of the virus or flock to it as a "last chance to see"?

Secondly, is there a middle ground loophole big enough for SL clubs? What is a mass gathering? Could the clubs limit attendance to 500 per stand and keep them segregated? =2000 fans. Combine this with potential extra income from sky coverage, would this mitigate the worst effects? 

Straw-clutching maybe and also dependent on keeping all players/staff virus-free. Maybe just for challenge cup games to help that limp along?

Not looking good.

Trouble is now players ( in football etc) are getting infected so along with staff and officials who may also get infected, what ever we do there will be multiple reasons to cancel games in the coming weeks.

The Government is resounded to 80% or more of the UK population getting infected. At this stage all they are trying to do is level it out so not everyone is infected at the same time.

Worrying times for all RL clubs - the Government cant bail every worker, buisness or sports club out. This is where the SKY money could save a few clubs but its looking like some will fall.

Edited by Mr Frisky

A limit of 500 at a game wouldn't impact too much on League 1 attendances and therefore their income.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

1 hour ago, RayCee said:

A limit of 500 at a game wouldn't impact too much on League 1 attendances and therefore their income.

Fair shout but if you keep L1 going but SL and the championship are indefinitely postponed, what is the point of L1?

What would you be playing for? If no one is playing and so getting relegated from the league above, where are you going if you win it?

I know sadly some clubs might not make it full stop but I don't think you could play on that basis.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pricey81 said:

Fair shout but if you keep L1 going but SL and the championship are indefinitely postponed, what is the point of L1?

What would you be playing for? If no one is playing and so getting relegated from the league above, where are you going if you win it?

I know sadly some clubs might not make it full stop but I don't think you could play on that basis.

Great point.

All pro sport will surely be shelved. Even League 1.

3 hours ago, RayCee said:

You are aware there is a pandemic in progress? Not an epidemic. 

4 hours ago, SL17 said:

You are aware there is a pandemic in progress? Not an epidemic. 

Are you aware I was replying to concerns regarding the impact crowd limitation of 500 would affect RL clubs? I was pointing out that League 1 clubs wouldn’t be badly affected. Pricy got my point and replied with a reasoned response.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pricey81 said:

I'm sure that RL won’t have some divisions playing and not others. I also think this may be the last weekend with RL played before it joins other sports. If RL was to continue with limited crowds, only League One would be financially unaffected. I don’t expect that to happen, I saw the irony in the poorest suffering the least. That doesn’t happen very often in life.

1 hour ago, RayCee said:

Are you aware I was replying to concerns regarding the impact crowd limitation of 500 would affect RL clubs? I was pointing out that League 1 clubs wouldn’t be badly affected. Pricy got my point and replied with a reasoned response.

Have you seen the demographic make-up of a typical League 1 fanbase? They will be affected whatever happens.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

26 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Have you seen the demographic make-up of a typical League 1 fanbase? They will be affected whatever happens.

You may be making a good point but your comment was too lean on detail to add to my understanding of the situation.

Edited by RayCee

30 minutes ago, RayCee said:

I'm sure that RL won’t have some divisions playing and not others. I also think this may be the last weekend with RL played before it joins other sports. If RL was to continue with limited crowds, only League One would be financially unaffected. I don’t expect that to happen, I saw the irony in the poorest suffering the least. That doesn’t happen very often in life.

You're right and I think it was a fair shout. If you had a sport where under 500 was a typical attendance at the top end of it (can't think of one off top of my head) and you could limit it with tickets to ensure you didn't go above it, it would seem to be possible to go on. For clubs, a long shutdown will be disastrous but for RL I just think it is a matter of when the shutdown comes and how long for. It won't be pretty and lower league/non league football clubs, county cricket clubs etc etc are going to potentially be in a right mess too. 

None of that is as important as protecting people's health I know but this is a major concern as a byproduct.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pricey81 said:

I agree, its hard but at some point this week the season will be called to a halt once its over we shall see how things look then 

Surprised Sky haven't opted to show more NRL games than scheduled given they've not much else available.

Pricey,

Congratulations on a very sensible post. Rugby League does not matter in comparison with what the people around the world are going through. As I posted on another post the Health and Safety of any individual is far more important than any Rugby League game. At the moment I am in Spain which is in total lockdown from 8am in the morning. I am not even allowed out of my own house unless I need medical help or to visit the Pharmacy which is allowed to stay open. This will all be patrolled by the Guardia Civil, Local Police and the Armed Forces who are already patrolling. But, I accept the decision and reckon it is a small price to pay if it keeps the wife and I safe.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, M j M said:

Surprised Sky haven't opted to show more NRL games than scheduled given they've not much else available.

My Son in Australia says they are going ahead but behind closed doors, unless it gets worse of course. 

16 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

It's going to absolutely demand some creativity and innovation for some clubs to survive.

And don't discount the old saying "the bigger you are the harder the fall" the big concern is the smaller clubs, but it will affect right across the board.

1 minute ago, HKR AWAY DAYS said:

That's not very nice, Leigh aren't that bad ?

Looking forward to visiting NCP , anybody with the virus will be cured by the sub zero temperatures normally found there in spring ?