Devon Ram

Coronavirus: Impact on Rugby League (Merged Threads)

e-mail sent to me from QANTAS

All Qantas and Jetstar international flights from Australia will be suspended from the end of March until at least the end of May 2020. Some additional services may be considered to assist with repatriation. More than 150 aircraft will be grounded during this time, including all of Qantas’ A380s, 747s and B787s.

Relevant to the forum as there will be no new players friom down under and those antipodeans already here with RL Clubs now have a choice to make about staying here or going back home until this is over..

?

The dominant ideas in society are always and everywhere the ideas of the ruling class. And always and everywhere they portray us as stupid, untrustworthy with bad motives. Show us respect sir. We gave you everything progressive there is. We gave you democracy. We demand some too.

Eddie Demsey RMT

There were 17.4m people who voted to leave the European Union.

"Any attempt to try to cast their vote aside, as if they didn’t mean it or didn’t understand the consequences, whereas everybody else did, is a bit of a slur on the individuals who took the time to vote, many of them for the first time

Ian Lavery - Labour party chair  - 29th March 2019

6 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

I think the very best case scenario is that we see the season,what is left of it resume in say July.

At worst there will be no rugby league this year.

I cannot see the Government allowing any sporting events taking place until this Coronavirus is totally eliminated.

As to what will emerge from this wreckage I really do not know.

But my feeling is that this sport will never ever be the same again.

Agreed, what the future holds for rugby league, God only knows. Its probably the same thoughts as others in other sports. We're in the lap of the gods now and we can only hope that the game can come through this. Fingers crossed we can as a nation come through this and we can all get back to some sort of normality. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, roughyedspud said:

I've not been on here for a few week and I'm not reading through 22 pages so what I'm about to say has probably already been said..

Scrap the first half of the season and the cups and the loop games and restart the league season at the halfway point,play each other once then into the play offs.

By my reckoning that means we don't start super league again till June 26,play 11 rounds and then start the play offs as normal from the 18th September.

In theory i'd agree with that, but just restarting immediately causes a problem as clubs have already played differing numbers of games, some 7, some 6 and others only 5.

Personally i'd start from scratch again at the end of June. Everyone then plays 5 home & 5 away games and after 10 rounds we play a Magic weekend, then the play-off's

Lets Get Brexit Done !!!!!

10 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

In theory i'd agree with that, but just restarting immediately causes a problem as clubs have already played differing numbers of games, some 7, some 6 and others only 5.

Personally i'd start from scratch again at the end of June. Everyone then plays 5 home & 5 away games and after 10 rounds we play a Magic weekend, then the play-off's

Sorry i should have said everyone starts on zero again 

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

6 hours ago, nadera78 said:

Gareth Carvell, the players' union rep, has already spoken of the likelihood that players will defer wages in order to see clubs  get through this period.

Its needed and its mutually beneficial, players need to keep clubs afloat 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, roughyedspud said:

I've not been on here for a few week and I'm not reading through 22 pages so what I'm about to say has probably already been said..

Scrap the first half of the season and the cups and the loop games and restart the league season at the halfway point,play each other once then into the play offs.

By my reckoning that means we don't start super league again till June 26,play 11 rounds and then start the play offs as normal from the 18th September.

We're not going to start in June.

• Like 1

11 Rounds of 6 Games each, rounds hosted by 11 different venues could start on 4/5 July and use the original Old Trafford GF date of 10th October.

5 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

11 Rounds of 6 Games each, rounds hosted by 11 different venues could start on 4/5 July and use the original Old Trafford GF date of 10th October.

I think you're right in that we need to be prepared for something as basic as "everyone plays everyone else once" before a Grand Final being the best possible option. (And equivalents for Championship and League One.)

I think the Challenge Cup, 1895 Cup and international season should be assumed to be gone.

I'm not sure you can promote or relegate anyone after a season like that.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

For context rather than debate (so not cross-code): the RFU has just announced that the 2019/20 season is 'over', except for the Premiership which they don't control but are in discussions with.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

11 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

For context rather than debate (so not cross-code): the RFU has just announced that the 2019/20 season is 'over', except for the Premiership which they don't control but are in discussions with.

In fairness, the "big" decisions in RU are fairly straightforward. In the Championship, Newcastle are unlikely to be caught and Yorkshire are going to finish bottom. Even for the Premiership, we know that Saracens are down - the only issue for them is if and how they settle the play-offs / European qualification. 

46 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

We're not going to restart in July either.

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

We're not going to restart in July either.

Nobody seems to be listening do they? The Prime Minister has just said he hopes to stop the exponential increase in cases in 12 weeks time - and that's if everyone pays attention to social distancing measures which they are not. And that's hardly the same as beating the virus which is a long, long way off. And as the Imperial College report stated, as soon as social restrictions were relaxed then cases would likely surge up again until we have general immunity or a vaccine (a year to 18 months away). 

Circumstances could change of course but at the moment I can't see Super League starting up again for the foreseeable future.

52 minutes ago, LR23 said:

Nobody seems to be listening do they? The Prime Minister has just said he hopes to stop the exponential increase in cases in 12 weeks time - and that's if everyone pays attention to social distancing measures which they are not. And that's hardly the same as beating the virus which is a long, long way off. And as the Imperial College report stated, as soon as social restrictions were relaxed then cases would likely surge up again until we have general immunity or a vaccine (a year to 18 months away). 

Circumstances could change of course but at the moment I can't see Super League starting up again for the foreseeable future.

Let's not express our hopes for best case scenario on a RL forum then.

Social distancing will be in place if the rounds are played in front of tv cameras only, behind closed doors (no spectators) 

Players can't work from home, so they are working where they can, they are not been forced to work. 

Could implement a mandatory weekly COVID-19 test for all players. 

13 minutes ago, Smudger06 said:

Let's not express our hopes for best case scenario on a RL forum then.

Social distancing will be in place if the rounds are played in front of tv cameras only, behind closed doors (no spectators) 

Players can't work from home, so they are working where they can, they are not been forced to work. 

Could implement a mandatory weekly COVID-19 test for all players. 

Fine expressing hopes but I should also be able to express realism and then help our clubs get through this.

See the message he was replying to mentioning multiple venues, etc. Traveling across the country and even playing rugby goes against Government recommendations intended to stop the spread. Social distancing includes players and staff.

Lets say it somehow gets the go ahead with a full testing regime, who pays for these games behind closed doors? Sky are putting Sky Sports subscriptions on pause so they are not making any money from these. 

Let's say all that gets sorted and Sky throw money at it, what happens when a player or member of staff gets infected and a whole team needs to go into self isolation? And the teams they have recently played?

What happens with Cats and Toronto with international travel all but locked down?

Like I said, the situation could change but it seems pie in the sky to think we'll see a game any time soon. I'd love to be proven wrong but the actual experts think otherwise.

1 hour ago, roughyedspud said:

Great input 

See what's happening in the real world. The Imperial College document published earlier this week talks of the current restrictions in place until August and then on off (some permanently on) for a considerable period of time after that and that has been mentioned by government sources as the likely scenario this morning.  

Edited by Les Tonks Sidestep

2 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

See what's happening in the real world. The Imperial College document published earlier this week talks of the current restrictions in place until August and then on off (some permanently on) for a considerable period of time after that and that has been mentioned by government sources as the likely scenario this morning.  

Yes, must've been a shock to the modellers when they found out that the NHS has almost 0 surge capacity instead of the assumption that they were given for their initial analysis. Hence the curve had to be flattened almost immediately.

The restrictions might ease off a bit if they manage to actually buy extra equipment, etc, to build additional surge capacity. But, there is an international shortage of ventilators, etc, right now and Trump is likely offering top $ to get them to meet the US's needs. However there are people trying alternate ideas like Forbes article so there maybe some hope.

Edited by TBone

37 minutes ago, TBone said:

Yes, must've been a shock to the modellers when they found out that the NHS has almost 0 surge capacity instead of the assumption that they were given for their initial analysis. Hence the curve had to be flattened almost immediately.

The restrictions might ease off a bit if they manage to actually buy extra equipment, etc, to build additional surge capacity. But, there is an international shortage of ventilators, etc, right now and Trump is likely offering top $ to get them to meet the US's needs. However there are people trying alternate ideas like Forbes article so there maybe some hope.

I'm sure there's a fair bit of such going on around the world from big multinationals to the bloke next door in his shed (a la Trevor Bayliss) and at least one or two will prove to be useful in the coming months. When there's a need....a bit like the Apollo 13 fit square filter into round hole (or was it the other way round?) problem.

wuhan was first reported  on 31st december so that was 11 weeks last tuesday they have had 48,557 COVID-19 cases but have reported no new cases for past two days  so hopefully we could possibly look at the same timescale

13 minutes ago, POR said:

wuhan was first reported  on 31st december so that was 11 weeks last tuesday they have had 48,557 COVID-19 cases but have reported no new cases for past two days  so hopefully we could possibly look at the same timescale

I would hope the British government has a bit more credibility than the Chinese one.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, POR said:

They haven't beaten the virus, just stemmed the tide (and that's if, as TIWIT says, you believe them) for now. It will be a while before we find out what happens next and experts aren't convinced that things won't rebound on relaxation of the mitigation measures.

Look at the modelling predictions for the UK - or even read a summarised version of things here https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/873729/06-spi-m-o-consensus-view-on-behavioural-and-social-interventions.pdf  - to see what we're likely to be facing in the coming weeks and months

"It was agreed that a policy of alternating between periods of more and less strict social distancing measures could plausibly be effective at keeping the number of critical care cases within capacity. These would need to be in place for at least most of a year. Under such as policy, at least half of the year would be spent under the stricter social distancing measures."

1 hour ago, Robthegasman said:

I think we can forget rugby league this year.

We can forget a lot of things this year.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, LR23 said:

Fine expressing hopes but I should also be able to express realism and then help our clubs get through this.

See the message he was replying to mentioning multiple venues, etc. Traveling across the country and even playing rugby goes against Government recommendations intended to stop the spread. Social distancing includes players and staff.

Lets say it somehow gets the go ahead with a full testing regime, who pays for these games behind closed doors? Sky are putting Sky Sports subscriptions on pause so they are not making any money from these. 

Let's say all that gets sorted and Sky throw money at it, what happens when a player or member of staff gets infected and a whole team needs to go into self isolation? And the teams they have recently played?

What happens with Cats and Toronto with international travel all but locked down?

Like I said, the situation could change but it seems pie in the sky to think we'll see a game any time soon. I'd love to be proven wrong but the actual experts think otherwise.

Whilst I agree with your post in general.

Playing devils advocate,

Strictly speaking,

Currently; 

Travelling across the country via public transport would go against government recommendations. Travelling across the country privately would not. 

Playing Rugby League would go against government recommendations, playing Rugby League professionally would not.

If a player gets infected, the whole team does not need to self isolate, only those that live in the same household as the infected player. 

Cats & Toronto? Don't travel overseas, neutral venue in UK. 

I agree though, it does seem pie in the Sky, and unfortunately not Sky TV. 

Its way too risky even staying within guidelines, given what seems to be the increasing lethality of COVID-19. 

• Like 1