This Sporting Life...tonight.

Gritty realistic b/w social drama from 1963 set in the world of Rugby League, when the world was what existed within a 10 mile radius of Wakefield, and the M62 was just a pencil sketch on a set of Ordnance Survey maps.

It's on tonight on Talking Pictures (channel 445 on Virgin and I guess on other platforms) at 21.15 tonight.

54 minutes ago, Tattersfieldtreiziste said:

Gritty realistic b/w social drama from 1963 set in the world of Rugby League, when the world was what existed within a 10 mile radius of Wakefield, and the M62 was just a pencil sketch on a set of Ordnance Survey maps.

It's on tonight on Talking Pictures (channel 445 on Virgin and I guess on other platforms) at 21.15 tonight.

I've recorded it.

My dad says (said) he was there when they filmed some of the rugby scenes. I'm guessing at when Wigan were away to Wakefield.  

In any event the team involved in one game looked like Wigan. Does anybody have recollections fro. their family?

I was there as well when it was filmed and Wigan visited in a C Cup match.  Unfortunately Trinity won and I think went on to win the Cup. 

Don't think the M62 was built then. I went by train on a rugby special from Wallgate station and pretty sure the team were on the same train.

Great film too. 

5 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

I was there as well when it was filmed and Wigan visited in a C Cup match.  Unfortunately Trinity won and I think went on to win the Cup. 

Don't think the M62 was built then. I went by train on a rugby special from Wallgate station and pretty sure the team were on the same train.

Great film too. 

No M62 then.

They filmed  the Harris try at half time. Great atmosphere. Don't believe Wigan players actually involved - ###### tackling- did they need Equity cards in those days ?.....

12 minutes ago, Wigan Riversider said:

Believe tacklers dove the other way❓

1997 film with Sam Janus n Neil Morrissey (❓) was amusing.

Help me out here.

Was this the  same game that got Colin Clarke red carded  ( straight up  tackle on  the line to prevent a Trinity score ) and missed Wembley only to be found not guilty afterwards,? 

The Sam Janus film was the adaptation of the famous stage play 'up'n'under', originally by the Hull Truck Theatre Company, about a group of deadbeats and misfits  being made into a rugby league team. Classic underdog story. Mainly remembered for Ms Janus's shower scene.

11 minutes ago, Tattersfieldtreiziste said:

The Sam Janus film was the adaptation of the famous stage play 'up'n'under', originally by the Hull Truck Theatre Company, about a group of deadbeats and misfits  being made into a rugby league team. Classic underdog story. Mainly remembered for Ms Janus's shower scene.

Also includes Griff Rhys-Jones' impressions of Eddie Waring. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

That scene where he takes the landlady and her kids for a drive in the countryside - was that Bolton Abbey? I skimmed a lot of stones there, years ago.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

12 hours ago, del capo said:

No M62 then.

They filmed  the Harris try at half time. Great atmosphere. Don't believe Wigan players actually involved - ###### tackling- did they need Equity cards in those days ?.....

Trinity coach Ken Traill had a speaking part and because of this he got paid. I used to work with a man who went in Traills pub and he told me everytime the film was shown on TV anywhere in the world Traill received a small cheque 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

1 hour ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

Trinity coach Ken Traill had a speaking part and because of this he got paid. I used to work with a man who went in Traills pub and he told me everytime the film was shown on TV anywhere in the world Traill received a small cheque 

Ken Trail's pub was in Hunslet just before the hill up to Parkside dog track and the Rugby Ground.I was at the game 61/62 season which Wakey won 5-4 in front of over 28 thousand spectators.As i have said before the big lad banging on the Mecca doors when the players went in was my brother in law Roy Wilson.

13 hours ago, del capo said:

Was this the  same game that got Colin Clarke red carded 

That needs narrowing down a bit as it was either that or he was carried off on two bits of wood.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

19 hours ago, Tattersfieldtreiziste said:

Saw the stage play , pile of dung......I left at the interval.

3 hours ago, Stirlin said:

Saw the stage play , pile of dung......I left at the interval.

I'll take John Godber over Shakespeare any day.

Actually, I'd take the LibDem Party Conference over Shakespeare.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

19 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

I'll take John Godber over Shakespeare any day.

Actually, I'd take the LibDem Party Conference over Shakespeare.

Plenty of laffs from the audience during first half , why ? , they only laughed at the profanity .

Archived