Teams not wanting to come to Perpignan (Merged Threads)

6 hours ago, cookey said:

Let me guess,Hull KR,Salford and Castleford dont want to travel? Not two pennies between them.

Salford travelled to Perpignan in early March and aren't due to play there again this season. Similarly, Castleford travelled there in February and aren't due to go there again this season.

So, I'd be interested to see your workings out on this one. Care to share them?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, creditwhereitsdews said:

I hope Catalans refuse to go to Leeds, or wherever, in return for their management being self-serving dipsticks. It's like something from a primary school playground. I can't see why any club would want to squander a positive opportunity for the sport for something so petty. The phrase "rugby league family" is quickly bandied around in times of tragedy but when it comes to basic morality, it's out of the window. As a previous poster said, where is the leadership from the game's authorities?

Expecting a bit too much with the last line mate.

1 hour ago, barnyia said:

Leeds already said they don't want to come as the catalans will have an unfair advantage having a crowd, as Bernard says in the interview the catalans play every other week in front of a one sided crowd, although this isn't the English clubs fault. 

Do you have a link please? 

If this story is true, then Gary Hetherington has once again shown himself to be a barrel chested buffoon. Decent club owners like Ian Lenagan, and (I hope), Eamonn McManus, Simon Moran, and Ken Davy, need to stand up against this Francophobe destructiveness. We need Catalans to be a prosperous member of Super League.  

58 minutes ago, barnyia said:

I'll try and find it, it was an interview in french about the game that got called off, leeds said they wouldn't travel back to France to play the game as it should now be played in England 

I'd be genuinely surprised if that was the case but we do know the catch-up games, of which Catalans vs Leeds is one, are being played in the UK which is where the contention may come from.

Hopefully there aren't many clubs objecting to playing in France once the season restarts properly and SL should just put their foot down if they do.

21 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

If this story is true, then Gary Hetherington has once again shown himself to be a barrel chested buffoon. Decent club owners like Ian Lenagan, and (I hope), Eamonn McManus, Simon Moran, and Ken Davy, need to stand up against this Francophobe destructiveness. We need Catalans to be a prosperous member of Super League.  

Is he barrel chested?

Just now, Gooleboy said:

Is he barrel chested?

Yes, and he is tall as well. I wouldn’t want to get in a fist fight or a wrestle with him. 

But an Oxford Union debate with him is something that I would relish. 

54 minutes ago, M j M said:

I'd be genuinely surprised if that was the case but we do know the catch-up games, of which Catalans vs Leeds is one, are being played in the UK which is where the contention may come from.

Hopefully there aren't many clubs objecting to playing in France once the season restarts properly and SL should just put their foot down if they do.

Although the fixture that was postponed was Catalans v Leeds I wouldn't be surprised if the catch up fixture (i.e behind closed doors fixture) when played was to be the reverse Leeds v Catalans. The reason being that it was stated that the games likely to draw larger crowds were being weighted to the latter stages of the season when crowds attending is thought more likely. So lower draw fixtures should be early ones. I suspect that the visit of Catalans for most if not all clubs would be one of the lower crowds due to almost no away fans whilst the visit of Leeds probably has potential to draw one of the larger crowds for Catalans.

2 hours ago, Celt said:

People on here over the years have accused the Aussies of small-minded, parochial attitudes, governed by self-interest and guilty of holding back development of the game.

Unfortunately they are unwittingly describing the vast majority of their own English clubs. Based almost entirely in small towns, with incredibly insular mentalities, and zero interest in the game outside their own postcode.

This is yet another example of English clubs looking out for themselves, with no interest in the profile of the game as a whole.

Couldn't agree more with you. I am sick and tired of the selfishness and narrow mindedness of some of our clubs. If the Dragons can put on games safely with a healthy number of spectators in attendance then they should be allowed to do so. 

The NRL games are much better to watch with a bit of an atmosphere so the sooner we can do the same the better. I'd rather watch one attended game on TV from the South of France than a triple header at a soulless Headingley.

Unfortunately some clubs are more equal than others and their spurious reasons will win the day. Just like the Aussies always get their way internationally we are just as bad as them domestically.

From Google translate

According to our colleagues from L’Indépendant, Leeds would not want to come and play their late match against the Catalan Dragons in Perpignan and insists that it be played in England.

As a reminder, the meeting could not be held in March since the Rhinos had decided not to travel after one of their players showed symptoms of Covid-19. While France has authorized stadiums to accommodate up to 5,000 people from July 11, the British government has not given such authorization and the resumption of the Super League will take place behind closed doors in England. The Rhinos, who say it is not fair, would pressure the Super League to hold the match in England and behind closed doors like other Super League games. This request obviously does not please Steve McNamara and the Catalan Dragons who hope to be able to play their home games at Gilbert Brutus this summer.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

The only story I can find from L’Indépendant is this one.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lindependant.fr/amp/2020/06/26/la-super-league-de-retour-le-2-aout-avec-saint-helens-dragons-catalans,8951096.php

Again from Google translate below. I see a reference to all games probably being played in England but nothing about English teams refusing to travel.

The Super League returns on August 2 with Saint-Helens-Catalans Dragons

It's confirmed, the Super League will be back on Sunday August 2, 2020 with three matches organized on the same field including Saint-Helens-Dragons Catalans (5:15 pm).
While the protocol to be applied is still under discussion, the Super League has formalized the return of competition.

The matches will take place behind closed doors on a minimum of sites, probably only in England.

On August 2, three games are on the recovery menu: Hull KR-Toronto Wolfpack (2 p.m.), St-Helens - Catalan Dragons (5:15 p.m.) and Huddersfield Giants - Leeds Rhinos (7:30 p.m.). The location of these meetings has not yet been validated.

The other championship teams will resume competition the following weekend (August 8/9).

The season will be shortened and will only include 15 days in the end. The Top 4 will qualify for the semi-finals and the 2 winners for the Super League Final which will take place at the end of November 2020.

The clubs also looked at the impact of the end of the 2020 season almost two months later than planned and agreed to start the 2021 season later than the first traditional weekend in February.

At the time of the season break, the Dragons had only played 4 games for 3 wins and one loss. Most teams have already played seven games.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

10 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

From Google translate

According to our colleagues from L’Indépendant, Leeds would not want to come and play their late match against the Catalan Dragons in Perpignan and insists that it be played in England.

As a reminder, the meeting could not be held in March since the Rhinos had decided not to travel after one of their players showed symptoms of Covid-19. While France has authorized stadiums to accommodate up to 5,000 people from July 11, the British government has not given such authorization and the resumption of the Super League will take place behind closed doors in England. The Rhinos, who say it is not fair, would pressure the Super League to hold the match in England and behind closed doors like other Super League games. This request obviously does not please Steve McNamara and the Catalan Dragons who hope to be able to play their home games at Gilbert Brutus this summer.

Decent translation 

Archived