2021 New Kit Thread

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, M j M said:

I quite like the Wigan shirt.

However.

Wigan: We've done a big  brand identity exercise in which we reconfirm our pride in cherry and white hoops such that we've embedded them in our logo.

Also Wigan: here's our new red and black striped kit.

Hoops.

They are hoops.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

I believe they work off a three year cycle when it comes to shirts, one year traditional, one year retro and then one year alternative. Which is fine in itself but there’s loads of alternatives designs that could be used with Wigan’s actual traditional colours. 

This is correct, Wigan have operated the three year cycle for a few years now. This (2021) wouldn't be the alternative kit year as that should have been 2020 with a traditional kit in 2021, but 2022 is the club's 150th anniversary and we will have a traditional shirt then so they seem to have switched the cycle around for that reason. I like the shirt and will be getting one though some of our fans will hate it and be very vocal about it no doubt. It is always the same type of reaction to the year 3 alternative shirts, the worst reaction was the 2011 kit which looked like the colour had run turning the white hoops pink. That design sold more shirts than any other though.

6 hours ago, voteronniegibbs said:

with all respect to Wigan and what they have achieved, that shirt is not a rugby league shirt. No collar, random design, poor colouring and no recognisability. If you saw a Norweb jersey tomorrow whilst walking through town, everyone on here would know it was a Wigan RLFC jersey before they had got close enough to see the club badge. In 2 years time this will be forgotten.

Home Shirt 2021 AD

I like it tbf, much better than this season’s though the white should be prominent over the black and it would still look good. 

Looks better when seen with the shorts and socks. The socks probably being the nicest part.

But not a very nice kit IMO. I don't think the colours compliment each other very well on the jersey, same unflattering collar as the current shirt, detail on the shorts looks uninteresting and thats about it.

The fact the badge is a different colour to the jersey shows poor colour management from Hummel, which I wouldn't have expected. It's the obvious thing that would need to be aligned. They've also failed (from what I've seen) to anchor the hoops on the sleeve, hence why the location looks different from shirt to shirt.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

7 hours ago, voteronniegibbs said:

with all respect to Wigan and what they have achieved, that shirt is not a rugby league shirt. No collar, random design, poor colouring and no recognisability. If you saw a Norweb jersey tomorrow whilst walking through town, everyone on here would know it was a Wigan RLFC jersey before they had got close enough to see the club badge. In 2 years time this will be forgotten.

Home Shirt 2021 AD

What is a rugby league shirt? Always find it strange when people say that. You don’t hear other sports say anything like that, does a shirt have to have hoops or a V to be a rugby league shirt?

5 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

What is a rugby league shirt? Always find it strange when people say that. You don’t hear other sports say anything like that, does a shirt have to have hoops or a V to be a rugby league shirt?

You do. When Manchester United went with a red shirt with a black v on it, many called it a Rugby League shirt. 

20 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

The fact the badge is a different colour to the jersey shows poor colour management from Hummel, which I wouldn't have expected. It's the. It's obvious thing that would need to be aligned. They've also failed (from what I've seen) to anchor the hoops on the sleeve, hence why the location looks different from shirt to shirt.

I've almost given up on RL collars but these two things are the ones which get me most - the red colour difference to the logo maybe if they hadn't just done their rebrand wouldn't matter but just seems amateurish in that context.

The shoulders in this example line up perfectly - no surprise - but the other ones we've seen show them all over the place as you say which makes the kit look a mess.

7 hours ago, voteronniegibbs said:

Home Shirt 2021 AD

Reminds me of the old North Sydney Bears jersey

29 minutes ago, M j M said:

The shoulders in this example line up perfectly - no surprise - but the other ones we've seen show them all over the place as you say which makes the kit look a mess.

It is possible that the ones used in previous images could be samples, and not final production jerseys. This does happen quite often, and i would be very surprised if Hummell let such a thing slip through. On some of the other imagery the Hummell embroidery beneath the collar is also in different locations and in some even bordering the seam, which again, is most likely down to samples being used for promo.

The colour of the badge is schoolboy stuff though.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 hour ago, wiganermike said:

This is correct, Wigan have operated the three year cycle for a few years now. This (2021) wouldn't be the alternative kit year as that should have been 2020 with a traditional kit in 2021, but 2022 is the club's 150th anniversary and we will have a traditional shirt then so they seem to have switched the cycle around for that reason. I like the shirt and will be getting one though some of our fans will hate it and be very vocal about it no doubt. It is always the same type of reaction to the year 3 alternative shirts, the worst reaction was the 2011 kit which looked like the colour had run turning the white hoops pink. That design sold more shirts than any other though.

The current strip, ie the one they started with this season, is the one I've disliked since the first time they produced it 20 years ago.  The dazzling yellow and blue one they played in last week matched their dazzling performance, it certainly dazzled Saints, and it will be long cherished in the memory... for me anyway.

This one looks good to me and the saddo obsessives (with an axe to grind of course) should get a life.

8 hours ago, M j M said:

I quite like the Wigan shirt.

However.

Wigan: We've done a big  brand identity exercise in which we reconfirm our pride in cherry and white hoops such that we've embedded them in our logo.

Also Wigan: here's our new red and black striped kit.

Have you ever eaten a cherry?  Are you colour blind?

10 hours ago, voteronniegibbs said:

This was a good jersey, if they bring this back they're in

Classic Rugby Shirts | 1989 Ryedale York Vintage Old League Jerseys

One of my all time favourites that, alongside this one:

r1.jpg

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

North Queensland 2021 home and away kits. Now with Dynasty. Looks nice.

(Well you would be able to see if if the TRL attachment function was working.)

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Just now, Gooleboy said:

A bit of nostalgia here, this chart was a free gift with the Hotspur Comic in the 60s.

download.jpeg.jpg

Was it a very small comic?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 minutes ago, Moose said:

image.jpeg.d72421f2b88389ae9ec4e25fd971680e.jpegimage.jpeg.ae04c95c12fc0298f0e53c4167e78c8a.jpegNice to see Hunslet’s traditional colours used on both the home and away strips.

They really are nice shirts.

On 05/11/2020 at 01:57, Henson Park Old Firm said:

spacer.png

Has me slightly concerned for what they're going to do for Widnes, not a fan of that pattern across the shirt. Would look much better without. 

a8S9A6553-1.jpg

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

Archived