Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
owls

Commonwealth Games

Recommended Posts

Just read on the cricinfo website that womens cricket is being introduced at the 2022 games in Birmingham, has Rugby League missed a trick here ?, the governing body  should have pushed to  get League included in this  global tournament,. may be a 9s version,  it would have been great publicity.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A 9s tournament has been played as a demonstration sport before the last 2 games with a view to becoming part of the games,don’t know where it stands as regards to being accepted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

A 9s tournament has been played as a demonstration sport before the last 2 games with a view to becoming part of the games,don’t know where it stands as regards to being accepted.

I'm not sure that's entirely right. We've played tournaments around the time of Commonwealth Games but never as a demonstration sport within the main event. We're as far off being part of the Games as ever, and that's assuming there's any interest in pushing that forward. I'd suggest we have other priorities right now.

  • Confused 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I'm not sure that's entirely right. We've played tournaments around the time of Commonwealth Games but never as a demonstration sport within the main event. We're as far off being part of the Games as ever, and that's assuming there's any interest in pushing that forward. I'd suggest we have other priorities right now.

This must be a top priority...to have 9's played in the Commonwealth Games is critical and very, very important...this must be pushed!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

This must be a top priority...to have 9's played in the Commonwealth Games is critical and very, very important...this must be pushed!

Oh, behave.

  • Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, owls said:

has Rugby League missed a trick here ?

The answer is always 'yes'.

  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

new rise.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, owls said:

Just read on the cricinfo website that womens cricket is being introduced at the 2022 games in Birmingham, has Rugby League missed a trick here ?, the governing body  should have pushed to  get League included in this  global tournament,. may be a 9s version,  it would have been great publicity.

What sort of impact do you think having 9s in the commonwealth games would have on rugby league? Does anyone even still watch the commonwealth games, other than school kids with free tickets? 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This may be a useful thread: 

 


Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

This must be a top priority...to have 9's played in the Commonwealth Games is critical and very, very important...this must be pushed!

Correct, it’s an important vehicle so England/GB can reassert their authority on the lesser nations we once owned 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

I'm not sure that's entirely right. We've played tournaments around the time of Commonwealth Games but never as a demonstration sport within the main event. We're as far off being part of the Games as ever, and that's assuming there's any interest in pushing that forward. I'd suggest we have other priorities right now.

Both the 2014 tournament in Glasgow & the 2018 one in Redcliffe were played a couple of weeks before the main games and on both occasions were classed as a demonstration sport by the games committee 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, owls said:

Just read on the cricinfo website that womens cricket is being introduced at the 2022 games in Birmingham, has Rugby League missed a trick here ?, the governing body  should have pushed to  get League included in this  global tournament,. may be a 9s version,  it would have been great publicity.

I doubt RL's missed anything here. If you imagine that TGG stands a chance in the committees formed around things like the Commonwealth Games then you probably think we're all in this together. Demonstration and category 3 for a sport 125 years old is about as good as it will get. Er around a fair bit longer than the Games themselves. And yet we're still waiting .................................................................................

Edited by Oxford

"I think that's quite an patronising response to a player who is a rugby union icon." Martyn Sadler

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Both the 2014 tournament in Glasgow & the 2018 one in Redcliffe were played a couple of weeks before the main games and on both occasions were classed as a demonstration sport by the games committee 

I apologise if I got that wrong - I thought they were put on by RL itself to showcase the game. Not by the CGF to show how a medal sport would work.


Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Kayakman said:

This must be a top priority...to have 9's played in the Commonwealth Games is critical and very, very important...this must be pushed!

I think this is the first time I’ve seen the terms Commonwealth Games and very very important in the same sentence 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have to agree with the OP, if we can get 9s in the Commonwealth Games there’ll be an explosion of interest in the 13 a side game across Africa and the Indian Subcontinent, as the millions watching in those places are amazed by it and set up clubs and tournaments. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Birmingham 2022 will feature "Rugby Sevens" (notice not Rugby Union Sevens), so I fully support having Rugby League Nines at the event too.

Even if Nines aren't your thing, why would you not want to take every opportunity to showcase the game? If nothing else it will force them to better name Rugby Sevens.

Loads of RL playing nations take part in the Commonwealth games, so I would have thought it's an ideal sport to have included.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Oh, behave.

 

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

What sort of impact do you think having 9s in the commonwealth games would have on rugby league? Does anyone even still watch the commonwealth games, other than school kids with free tickets? 

 

36 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I think this is the first time I’ve seen the terms Commonwealth Games and very very important in the same sentence 

The insular world some RL fans live in is mind boggling sometimes...the world no longer revolves around Britain...let me digress.

In most Commonwealth countries many many athletes are 'carded' or 'flagged' for a sport if playing at a high level.  For example, in Canada a carded athlete receives funds for training, education etc. so they can concentrate on their sport.  Australia is also a very good example.  These athletes then have an income (steady) to draw upon for their sporting careers.  Many go to university at the same time as being carded and further their educational studies.

This fact allows an athlete to live and survive financially as they participate fully in  the sport.  If the sport is recognized as being in the Commonwealth or Olympic Games these athletes will be financially supported and eligible for carding.  This is very important, especially in RL, since finances seem to be a constant problem for many athletes and clubs.

For this reason having 9's recognized in the Commonwealth Games could lead literally to an explosion in growth and participation for the sport (both Mens and Womens)....this is one of the main reasons why Rugby 7's has taken off, it massive growth began when it was included as an Olympic sport.   By ignoring this potential large source of 'found' money RL does itself a disservice at all levels.

Vison people, VISON!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bird said:

There are some really miserab!e beggers on this board - and these are the enthusiasts.

It's being miserable that keeps us cheerful, bird!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The review of whether or not Rugby League Nines will move from a Cat 3 to Cat 2 sport and be added to the games will be decided after Birmingham and if successful, we will be added to 2026.

Naturally the two main criteria for us to qualify is to increase our presence in Asia, Africa and the Americas and to showcase our commitment by hosting three 'demonstration' events.

In terms of us ticking boxes, we've already held two successful events and plans for Birmingham have started, in addition our presence in Africa has significantly grown, with strong development in Nigeria, Cameroon, Ghana, Kenya and Sierra Leone.

Americas, arguably if the Wolfpack stay in Super League, between Canada and Jamaica we should tick that box, making Asia the weakest part of our bid as we neither have numbers or profile.

Now in terms of whether we should be putting time or effort into becoming a Category 2 CGF sport, for me the reasons I feel we should are:

- The Commonwealth Games still draws significant audiences. In NZ the last games outdrew the Rio Olympics, in Australia, audiences of up to 6 million were watching over the day each day and in the UK, Glasgow drew over 60% of the total TV audience for the two weeks it ran.

- It helps with us getting Government recognition in Commonwealth countries. Want RL recognised in Canada? Makes it a lot easier when the National Sporting body in those countries are needing to consider whether to add it to their high performance program or not.

- It will help the sport grow. Whilst the impact in Australia or NZ might not be much, there will be countries who take up league simply because it is part of the Commonwealth Games or who have access to more money or more high performance options as a result.

 

We are fortunate that the CGF seems to see value in us, as they've made our path to inclusion a lot easier than some other sports, especially as we've only been recognised since 2013. Hopefully we don't blow the opportunity.

  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

PACIFIQUE TREIZE: Join the team by registering as a fan today at pacifique13.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Much rather see rugby league play the 13 man game at the winter Olympics after all it is a winter sport. Plus you could get more countries from the Pacific nations participating in winter Olympics.

My proposal.

Have 12 nations in 4 pools of 3. Top qualifiers for semi final , then final. 

4 from Europe, 4 Pacific/Asia, 1 Americans, 1 Africa and 2 remaining from Qualifying  knock outs. 

Great thing about this would be that the Aussie couldn't pick and choose the rules, refs and conditions as they see fit. Instead it would be mandated by the International Olympic Body.

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

Much rather see rugby league play the 13 man game at the winter Olympics after all it is a winter sport. Plus you could get more countries from the Pacific nations participating in winter Olympics.

My proposal.

Have 12 nations in 4 pools of 3. Top qualifiers for semi final , then final. 

4 from Europe, 4 Pacific/Asia, 1 Americans, 1 Africa and 2 remaining from Qualifying  knock outs. 

Great thing about this would be that the Aussie couldn't pick and choose the rules, refs and conditions as they see fit. Instead it would be mandated by the International Olympic Body.

Beggars cant be choosers. Getting into the Commonwealth games is a far more realistic prospect than the Olympics. As is a nines variant compared to the full blown 13 a side version. Nines at the Commonwealth games can be used as a springboard to further recognition and things like the Olympics.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the problems is investment, or lack of it.

Its been mooted before, but to 'get out from under' we need to bring in a capital investment business.   F1 was sold for zillions who intend to make it even bigger and more profitable to all concerned.  The Williams F1 team were sold likewise.

With investment we can sell (well, market...) ourselves... sell to TV, to potential expansionist owners and to Commonwealth Games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Damien said:

Beggars cant be choosers. Getting into the Commonwealth games is a far more realistic prospect than the Olympics. As is a nines variant compared to the full blown 13 a side version. Nines at the Commonwealth games can be used as a springboard to further recognition and things like the Olympics.

9s just isn’t rugby league though, imho, just like 7s isn’t Union and 5 a side isn’t football. 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Eddie said:

9s just isn’t rugby league though, imho, just like 7s isn’t Union and 5 a side isn’t football. 

Maybe not but its worth it if it allows for recognition in countries where this is a barrier, access to funding and leads to development and interest in the full game. Its certainly better than the alternative which is nothing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

40 minutes ago, Damien said:

Maybe not but its worth it if it allows for recognition in countries where this is a barrier, access to funding and leads to development and interest in the full game. Its certainly better than the alternative which is nothing.

 

50 minutes ago, Eddie said:

9s just isn’t rugby league though, imho, just like 7s isn’t Union and 5 a side isn’t football. 

For me it's down to who sanctions the sports "Sevens" or "Rugby 7s" is sanctioned by World Rugby who are the world governing body of Rugby Union. If 5 a side football is a local league then it's not football in the 11 aside sense however if its Futsal that is sanctioned by FIFA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...