Toulouse chairman Calls for more French teams in the Championship

Davo5

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Sounds good for the English system but if two of the strongest Elite 1 teams left to join the Championship where would that leave them? 

I think French Rugby League can use it to grow the game by adding cities, such as Lyon as mentioned in the article.

It begs the, at this stage, vague question, what is the bigger picture for The RFL and Super League and for the game of Rugby League in France if we admit more French based sides? 

I wouldn’t be against it, it’s essentially growing the heartlands of the game but it still needs to be implemented strategically as there are challenges and issues that present themselves with French clubs in the Rugby League pyramid. 

18 minutes ago, Damien said:

I think French Rugby League can use it to grow the game by adding cities, such as Lyon as mentioned in the article.

Well yeah, that will take millions, but if someone’s got that to chuck at big city rugby league in France then good on them. 

4 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I think we should aim to make Elite 1 and League 1 of equalish standing or to make it equal to the championship even.

I definitely think pan European competition is something we should grow. 

From what (limited highlights and stuff on YouTube) I’ve seen Elite 1 is as good as L1 already, I certainly wouldn’t advocate the best Elite 1 team having to go into L1 if they joined our system. 

1 hour ago, Chris Taylor said:

What is the long term strategy of the French game?

Shouldn't they be looking to make the game full-time?

I think you need to look at the economics/cash involved before you ask that question.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

2 hours ago, Eddie said:

From what (limited highlights and stuff on YouTube) I’ve seen Elite 1 is as good as L1 already, I certainly wouldn’t advocate the best Elite 1 team having to go into L1 if they joined our system. 

I agree. League 1 should really be a British only affair.

It's annoying that the French hold their own at u16s and u19s although the French are almost a year older when they play these games but struggle after these age groups, we have some very good youth coaches and the level is great saying how small the player pool is, we definitely need something to push these players to the next level after the u18s/19s. 

Even the dragons seem to struggle to get the young players to super league level. 

4 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Should be either straight into the Championship or Super League imo. I know you have suggested you agree with the latter.

That was before I saw SLs reaction to Toronto 

And as I replied to Eddie , at who's expense do you put then in at a higher level ?

Just now, GUBRATS said:

That was before I saw SLs reaction to Toronto 

And as I replied to Eddie , at who's expense do you put then in at a higher level ?

Whoever, don't really care. Relegate 2, add extra teams to the league, take your pick.

Archived