Jane Fonda ... *faints*

*wakes*

Thinks of Jane Fonda in Cat Ballou again

*dies happy*

It is also a brilliant film.

What else was Jane Fonda in?

Oh yes

Barbarella

(listens for sound of Gingerjon exploding)

Yes I know it's not a western

7 hours ago, longboard said:

Jon, is also something of a Milo O'Shea fan  apparently.

Yes ... Milo ... that's it ...

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1. The Searchers

2. Rio Grande

3. The Outlaw Josey Wales

4. The Wild Bunch

5. Blazing Saddles

6. Stagecoach

My choices are a bit John Wayne/John Ford heavy, but hey, they made great Westerns.

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

the thing with westerns is for me - i always worry about the welfare of the real horses in real times- not the ones in the films that were magnificent beasts bred for the movies - but thats just me

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

24 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

the thing with westerns is for me - i always worry about the welfare of the real horses in real times- not the ones in the films that were magnificent beasts bred for the movies - but thats just me

The early ones are very problematic to watch for this reason. Yakima Canutt's cruel "Running W" hobble is now outlawed, but killed and crippled many horses over the years. Sadly, it remained in use up 'til the early Eighties.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 27/11/2020 at 12:26, Bleep1673 said:

Spaghetti westerns, filmed in Spain.

So why aren't they called 'paella westerns'?  Just wondering!

Of course Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid! How could I have forgotten that one.

I remember watching it when I was very young, and just assumed that, when they were surrounded in the final scene, our two happy-go-lucky heroes would escape somehow. The actual ending blew my tiny mind.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

15 hours ago, DavidM said:

I wonder if people from Wild West times were actually in early westerns a few decades later

From the wilds of West Lancashire maybe -

BBC website -  Forget Hollywood - the world's first Western was shot in the countryside of Lancashire, new research has suggested.  

Artist Jamie Holman made the link to Lancashire in a study of records by the British Film Institute .

Mr Holman said the information, which showed a filming location close to Blackburn, was "hiding in plain sight".

Kidnapping By Indians was filmed in 1899, four years before 'The Great Train Robbery' from the USA, which until now was widely seen as the genre's first film.

Jam Eater  1.(noun. jam eeter) A Resident of Whitehaven or Workington. Offensive.  It is now a term of abuse that both towns of West Cumbria use for each other especially at Workington/Whitehaven rugby league derby matches.

St Albans Centurions Website 

16 hours ago, DavidM said:

I wonder if people from Wild West times were actually in early westerns a few decades later

I don't know about movies, but Buffalo Bill Cody's live "Wild West", while being a collection of cliches, included quite a few of the genuine article, including Geronimo and Chief Sitting Bull.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I don't know about movies, but Buffalo Bill Cody's live "Wild West", while being a collection of cliches, included quite a few of the genuine article, including Geronimo and Chief Sitting Bull.

I was just reading that Wyatt Earp was a movie consultant in the 20s

Wild Bill Hickok was on Cody's show, but not for very long. He hated attention, so often hid behind other people or scenery, and allegedly once shot out a spotlight that was trained on him.

Annie Oakley was fired for getting drunk and starting fights.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

15 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Because the crew were Italians.

And because without Sergio Leone and Ennio Morricone, they probably wouldn't have been so good. Not their nationality, but their talent - if The Good, the Bad and the Ugly had been directed by Claudio Fragasso and scored by Goblin, nobody would remember it. Except maybe bad movie buffs like me.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 27/11/2020 at 12:13, tonyXIII said:

OR any that depict the mass murder of native americans.

Wow that must leave about 4.

Little Big Man  &  Judge Roy Bean

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Archived