London Broncos Moving Update

54 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

AHH SS one can change your missus but never your football/rugby league/cricket team for me Beckenham Town/London Broncos and Kent 🙂

Thing is, I did.

By your maxim, I should support a hugely successful northern team.

But I moved down south in my twenties, and had a interest in rugby league that extended beyond the fact that it was a sport that represented my home town (Imagine that).

And I gradually drifted into watching my new "local" team, who turned out to be honourable and virtuous, with the best and most committed fans you could ever possibly meet. I loved everything about them and soon hated my home town team with a passion (still do).

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Guys I dont want to start an argument here and will just try to give a balanced view.

My own opinion as a massive fan of the Broncos is that moving away from Ealing is not a good move (I completely understand MOK being a Wimbledon and Broncos fan of wanting it to be a success) however I personally (I hope I am 100% wrong) do not see fans flocking to Wimbledon (In reality Merton) Rugby of either code is best in West London and with the right promotion the Broncos can build the crowds back up again.

If we end up attracting 450/550 fans and have to pay all this rent then its pretty pointless IMHO maybe we would be better doing a deal with Richmond Rugby and investing in their stadium upgrade seating etc the CEO there Jimmy Wallace is a super guy and I am sure would be open to a long term deal, remember Richmond were in the RU Premiership in the early days of professional RU a small amount of investment could easily upgrade it to a nice round ground, and with great transport connections to Richmond not too mention pubs restaurants etc for me its the perfect place.

Lets get real here 5000 would be a success and a simple upgrade at Richmond could easily handle this. 

Paul

Paul

Staying at Ealing was my preference ir Richmond second 

I doubt we'll draw more than 500 once post Covid bounce clears 

I'm mentally preparing myself for my club not existing in a few years time. It'll be Skolars home games and whatever SL games up north I fancy getting to

38 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

SS (I am a bit uncomfortable referring you to SS:)so from now on STUFF:)

I fully understand it can be frustrating however what is needed is engagement with the powers to be in a nice practical way.

Everyone is doing their best DIPLOMACY Is the best way forward.

It's an issue I have with negativity due to being an old, old man where everything was better back in the day.

But I remember Brisbane Broncos have taken over! it's going to be amazing!  It wasn't amazing, but it wasn't rubbish either.

And then, Richard Branson has taken over! It's going to better than not rubbish! It actually *is* going to be amazing! But —sign Spud Carroll, sack Tony Currie— you know the rest of the story...

Down hill from there really. Like many people have said  before, it's the hope that kills you.

I think that the saddest part of this is the club's sheer lack of confidence in itself.

Instead of really pushing this move, counting down the days and providing continuous updates, we get fb posts hidden if they are in any way critical, no news at all on where we'll play in the meantime and a very small group of insiders drip-fed titbits of info to keep them loyal.

I am against the move. But, even if I weren't, by God it has been handled abysmally. We should have started 2021 with a clear roadmap in place. The idea that we don't know whether we'll move to Plough Lane or when is madness; the thought that we haven't got an alternative venue announced is dafter still. 

And remember: this club filed an application for Super League in November. I cannot begin to imagine the fiction contained within when it came to the bit about home ground. 

Maybe I am wrong about the club's self-confidence. You have to have some balls to apply for Super League on the basis of being homeless.

9 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

everyone at the Broncos is doing their best

Then that's the problem in a nutshell.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

11 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Well said.

The self-indulgent negativity bordering on fatalism from some fans is understandable but LB should be applauded for recognising there was no future at Ealing and acting quickly to approach AFCW.

It’s an ambitious move but potentially a great one. Just don’t expect miracles from day one. 

You're not exactly neutral on this one, are you? You've nailed your colours to the AFCW mast from minute one. We'll find out how much of a future the club has in 4 or 5 months time when the Broncos are finally allowed to play a game on the hallowed turf.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

11 hours ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

I'm mentally preparing myself for my club not existing in a few years time. It'll be Skolars home games and whatever SL games up north I fancy getting to

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when Messrs Milner and Loubser were trying to explain the ground move situation in their SL application to the board. 'We hope to be in place by the start of SL season .......'

Its a complete joke. So much has been said above that hits the nail on the head. A 1 year option should have been maintained with Ealing so in the event of SL rejection, continue as is, whilst at the same time building up the relationship with Wimbledon and bringing the fans along on the journey. Commercially, I cant see how that would have been any worse than the 3 location strategy we currently have. But maybe that approach was too simple !!!!

Like BB, after all these years of following this club I now accept that for the foreseeable I'll go to the odd game but my interest lies with weekly doses of NRL.

Until London Broncos share their 5 year plan, they are having no more of my hard earned in the form of S/T, player sponsorship and merchandise. I want to be part of a club with a vision, that wants to go places, not this shambles.

MOK and the leadership of the BOSG will no doubt love the Wimbledon thing, but I suspect there will be many who give it a swerve.

2 minutes ago, nadera78 said:

You're not exactly neutral on this one, are you? You've nailed your colours to the AFCW mast from minute one. We'll find out how much of a future the club has in 4 or 5 months time when the Broncos are finally allowed to play a game on the hallowed turf.

But we’re not allowed to ruffle the grass or leave marks on the seats.

And we must, apparently, know our place.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

There seems to be a real changing of the guard occurring at Broncos with many long standing fans saying either that enough is enough, they will become irregular attenders or that they will try a game or two and then decide on their future as a fan.

I hope the shiny stadium theory works and this move does generate large numbers of fans.

The reduction in the central grant, a full time team, academy, and three locations to rent suggest this season will be the economics of the madhouse if there isn't a substantial rise in the gates.

It's difficult not to view where Broncos currently stand as being an incredibly important crossroads.

Whatever happens I hope the team and academy survive. RL retreating further in on itself would not be good news for the sport.

15 hours ago, Stuff Smith said:

It's an issue I have with negativity due to being an old, old man where everything was better back in the day.

But I remember Brisbane Broncos have taken over! it's going to be amazing!  It wasn't amazing, but it wasn't rubbish either.

And then, Richard Branson has taken over! It's going to better than not rubbish! It actually *is* going to be amazing! But —sign Spud Carroll, sack Tony Currie— you know the rest of the story...

Down hill from there really. Like many people have said  before, it's the hope that kills you.

Well I'll be paying on the gate rather than ST for the first time in 4 years. 

Usually watch 3 or so Skolars games a year. Might end up being about half half from now on. 

On 13/03/2021 at 09:41, Man of Kent said:

Of course! Plough Lane has luxuries like seats, sightlines and even toilets.

Whereas there were none of these at Griffin Park, The Valley, The Stoop, Crystal Palace and others ? Even Chiswick Poly had seats, sightlines and toilets !

Ealing had it's deficiencies but to move out with no confirmed new home ground strikes me as madness.

My wife complains I selfishly stop her fulfilling her true ambition -

she really wants to be a rich widow

1 minute ago, Archie Gordon said:

The club's announcement makes it clear that they have only just got approval to use their training ground as a matchday venue. Around a week before the first game. 

They're doing their best.

23 minutes ago, Magic XIII said:

I love the idea of a ground share ..... but the Wimbledon arrangement strikes me as renting a bit of grass and some real estate for 1/2 day on a few occasions. Am I missing something ? 

No, you're not. We're getting the least welcoming tenancy agreement I can recall us having.

Morning Everyone and HAPPY MONDAY:)

As I have said before I think that everyone at the club does their best however there is a distinct lack of understanding about the London rugby market, Wimbledon will have a bounce for the first match (Maybe + 1/2000) after that it will be back to normal and playing in front of a few hundred fans in an empty stadium which personally I find depressing.

Ealing was for me just about right Richmond with the right investment would be good to.

Rugby (Either code) is West London if you want to build your spectator base only ground share I could ever see it work outside of this would be somewhere like Dulwich Hamlet (New development) however this is my opinion Hamlet have done a fantastic job attracting what I would call (No disrespect here) The Guardian audience open minded/craft beer stands/street food nice match day atmosphere.

A Step 5 non league football club in a crowded London market managed to build their crowds up to 2/3000 with this approach must of whom just wanted a day out.

This is the route to go in London.

Paul

5 minutes ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

Rugby (Either code) is West London if you want to build your spectator base only ground share I could ever see it work outside of this would be somewhere like Dulwich Hamlet (New development) however this is my opinion Hamlet have done a fantastic job attracting what I would call (No disrespect here) The Guardian audience open minded/craft beer stands/street food nice match day atmosphere.

A Step 5 non league football club in a crowded London market managed to build their crowds up to 2/3000 with this approach must of whom just wanted a day out.

This is the route to go in London.

Paul

You’re half right. Matchday experience is important - and we’re told a lot of thought is going into that at Plough Lane - but Super League isn’t about a niche offering for hipsters in boutique non-league stadia with a few hundred seats.

Dulwich Hamlet's growth did not happen by accident. A plan to re-engage the club with its community was drawn up by two people. It was less than two sides of A4 long. The club was skint so it wasn't about splashing the cash.

In a decade they went from an average of 170 fans to approaching 2,500. 

Dulwich have always made it clear one size does not fit all and it's not a plan for other clubs to copy 100% however: it may well be a good starting point. For various reasons I won't bore you with, I think Broncos would be a better fit than most.

Both men involved were Broncos fans and offered to share their knowledge for free but were knocked back. Sadly one is now deceased.

Don't believe everyone who watches Hamlet is a hipster or that all the fan engagement offerings were targeted at hipsters. That's far too simplistic.

Put very simply it is about getting the on pitch and match day experience right. You get the pricing structure right. Then you can go out and use targeted, measurable initiatives. That's how you get people through the door for the first time. Non league football and RL, in London, both have a bit of an image problem making it harder to get people through the door first time.

If you have the rest right they may come back. The process isn't actually that different between SL and DHFC. How you get the match day experience right may differ but the steps are similar.

Broncos have one huge advantage, they can tap into curious Dons fans. They have one potential disadvantage. People need to be welcoming, from the top of the club to the bottom. One Hamlet fan was overheard asking about the clubs history on their first visit. At the end of the match they were taken into the boardroom and had the historic items explained and put into context. They said that simple gesture hooked them. First impressions are critical and a grumpy official or spectator can kill interest. It does need a bit of a culture change, including from the fans, to welcome newcomers and assist in explaining rules to newbies etc. 

Curiously I have reason to believe the club may be taking fan engagement seriously at last.

We shall see.

57 minutes ago, Ivarr the Boneless said:

Don't believe everyone who watches Hamlet is a hipster or that all the fan engagement offerings were targeted at hipsters. That's far too simplistic.

Agree with that - not been to a game at Hamlet, but have seen them when they've played at Hemel Town. There wasn't much hipsterism (?) going on with the fans standing near me!

Damn I miss going to games...

1 hour ago, Ivarr the Boneless said:

Dulwich Hamlet's growth did not happen by accident. A plan to re-engage the club with its community was drawn up by two people. It was less than two sides of A4 long. The club was skint so it wasn't about splashing the cash.

Dulwich have always made it clear one size does not fit all and it's not a plan for other clubs to copy 100% however: it may well be a good starting point. For various reasons I won't bore you with, I think Broncos would be a better fit than most.

Both men involved were Broncos fans and offered to share their knowledge for free but were knocked back. Sadly one is now deceased.

Put very simply it is about getting the on pitch and match day experience right. You get the pricing structure right. Then you can go out and use targeted, measurable initiatives. That's how you get people through the door for the first time. Non league football and RL, in London, both have a bit of an image problem making it harder to get people through the door first time.

If you have the rest right they may come back. The process isn't actually that different between SL and DHFC. How you get the match day experience right may differ but the steps are similar.

Broncos have one huge advantage, they can tap into curious Dons fans. They have one potential disadvantage. People need to be welcoming, from the top of the club to the bottom. One Hamlet fan was overheard asking about the clubs history on their first visit. At the end of the match they were taken into the boardroom and had the historic items explained and put into context. They said that simple gesture hooked them. First impressions are critical and a grumpy official or spectator can kill interest. It does need a bit of a culture change, including from the fans, to welcome newcomers and assist in explaining rules to newbies etc. 

Curiously I have reason to believe the club may be taking fan engagement seriously at last.

We shall see.

All very sensible comments Ivor 100% agree 

2 hours ago, Ivarr the Boneless said:

I agree with much of this but it has to be remembered Dulwich Hamlet has no ambition to be an elite club in a top flight like Super League, which requires considerably higher standards of facilities.

The growth of Dulwich Hamlet over the past decade shows the importance of patience and planning - not something associated with British rugby league. 

Hopefully the 10-year agreement at Plough Lane allows for that. Though I'm sure a few are itching to write it off after barely half a season...

The big difference I can see between Dulwich Hamlet and London Broncos is they actually communicate with their followers via social media, whereas six or seven days before they’re due to play their first game for about a year, London are announcing where they’re starting the year. 

Archived