Putting Leigh in SL is the biggest mistake RL ever made (Merged threads)

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, lucky 7 said:

So what happens to the Championship team that wins the Championship grand final?

You can't have a situation where one season you gift a team a Super League place and the next season deny a club that has won a Championship grand final a Super League.

Rugby League is losing fans and sponsors due largely to the inept people running the game and denying a club a Super League place that has just won would see a further decline in fans and sponsors

I would suggest that if the team who wins the Championship grand final is not promoted to Super League, who ever that is, more fans and sponsors will walk away from the game.

30 minutes ago, Snowys Backside said:

If everyone isn't playing everyone home and away in the Champioship, then isnt it making things a mockery of that great competition too ?

Na. It was the best option given the circumstances. Lots of bashing of SL now with all the midweek fixtures. They probably should have done the same

This thread seems short-sighted. 

Leigh are just making up the numbers in a difficult year. Willingly.

If Toulouse are promoted this year, as seems probable, they'll be joining Super League with (hopefully) full crowds and unrestricted travel. Instead of worrying about Green Lists, rugby league fans should be able to make plans for trips to SW France to see Catalans and Toulouse games.

If they'd been in SL this year, they'd be looking at cancelled games, small crowds, sparse away support and possible recruitment issues. If there's a year to avoid being in Super League, it's 2021.

1 hour ago, Snowys Backside said:

If everyone isn't playing everyone home and away in the Champioship, then isnt it making things a mockery of that great competition too ?

The NRL doesn't, nor do American top major league sports (I am sure there are more around the world as well they are just 2 examples off the top of my head). wouldn't say those leagues are a mockery.

Just now, RP London said:

The NRL doesn't, nor do American top major league sports (I am sure there are more around the world as well they are just 2 examples off the top of my head). wouldn't say those leagues are a mockery.

Sssshhh, get out of here with your common sense and let the straw clutchers, clutch. 

2 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

Sssshhh, get out of here with your common sense and let the straw clutchers, clutch. 

many apologies.. i shall go back and sit in the corner.... 

I am ashamed 🙊

Any team coming up last year would get hammered every week, the question is by how much.

A big chunk of the Featherstone team didn’t even want to go full time so Featherstone would have been signing similar quality players to what Leigh did plus a few Leeds loans.

Toulouse would go OK but would still quite easily be bottom, confidence is high in the champ beating Swinton by 60 but it doesn’t take long to get into a rut when you lose a couple of SL games. 

Just thank god it wasn’t York like a load of the so called experts on here wanted. They did do a nice video though.

2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Leigh are just making up the numbers in a difficult year. Willingly.

If Toulouse are promoted this year, as seems probable, they'll be joining Super League

Quick one before I depart this awaful work thing.....

Leigh would have been much better this year building a side that can compete for promotion from the Championship to Superleague either actually this year itself, or next year, when one of their rivals (Fev or Toulouse) may be out of the way playing in Superleague.

Yet mr. Beaumont seems happy to show little ambition, and spend nothing on players, leading to a serious suggestion earlier in the thread he was going to fill his pockets with SL money and leave the game.

He may be doing this, but if not the sensible thing would have been to compete for promotion this year. I'm mindful that SL may make their own changes when the new TV deal comes in, given all the money and power is theirs. If somewhere the Superleague have confirmed promotion and relegation will happen than fair enough......  I can't find that though?

for SL this year whilst Toulouse 

1 hour ago, binosh said:

Any team coming up last year would get hammered every week, the question is by how much.

A big chunk of the Featherstone team didn’t even want to go full time so Featherstone would have been signing similar quality players to what Leigh did plus a few Leeds loans.

Toulouse would go OK but would still quite easily be bottom, confidence is high in the champ beating Swinton by 60 but it doesn’t take long to get into a rut when you lose a couple of SL games. 

Just thank god it wasn’t York like a load of the so called experts on here wanted. They did do a nice video though.

You beat me to it , I was going to remind a few on here how they wanted York , how are they doing ATM ?

12 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

You beat me to it , I was going to remind a few on here how they wanted York , how are they doing ATM ?

York are doing pretty poorly but wouldn’t have the same team if they were in super greed. Same with fev and Toulouse. That said they would probably still be in Leigh’s position 

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

Just now, DEANO said:

York are doing pretty poorly but wouldn’t have the same team if they were in super greed. Same with fev and Toulouse. That said they would probably still be in Leigh’s position 

Correct 

10 hours ago, lucky 7 said:

So a 13 team Super League? That will work out well for the magic weekend.

Scrap the stupid magic weekend and have a balanced fixture list

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

3 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

They wanted York because they are from a nice place that’s reasonably well known in other countries - bizarre. 

13 hours ago, lucky 7 said:

It doesn't help with the incompetent people running the game. Those at the RFL wouldn't get another job in any sport when you look at their total incompetents,and for example the decision to charge the Catalans £500,000 to enter a comp that they were the holders off and the total incompetent handling of the acadimies

You say incompetance for the academys but you dont know all the facts.

The community game are against too many academys for instance

Has Cas got a track record of promoting youth?

Is this failure an academy failure or a first team coaching failure to turn to youth?

10 hours ago, Snowys Backside said:

Explain !

Are the top 5 playing each other home and away ?

why does that matter... other leagues in other countries that have a much higher profile dont do this.. thats why there are play offs. 

13 hours ago, DEANO said:

Scrap the stupid magic weekend and have a balanced fixture list

you say stupid, others would say successful.. 

18 hours ago, The Future is League said:

I would suggest that if the team who wins the Championship grand final is not promoted to Super League, who ever that is, more fans and sponsors will walk away from the game.

Not as many as would walk if SL returned to a closed shop.

16 hours ago, RP London said:

They don't employ promotion and relegation though do they? That is a very good reason every club should play each other on an equal number of games.

Archived