Kyle Eastmond (Merged threads)

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Tbf he wasn't alone in that position in the RU Premiership 

A point of interest...  was he/they then paid off, or just sacked for not accepting the cut.  Surely he had a contract?

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This would have been the perfect run out for Mccelland, who showed a lot of promise in 2019 at Featherstone. 

I thought for 12 weeks they could have given him a chance for him to be a consistent performer. Something he hasn't really been at Leeds. In one week, out the other. 

2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

26 minutes ago, Hela Wigmen said:

It’s a lesser risk given Leeds will only be paying 50% of his salary in year one. Given how late it is into the off season and, I’m guessing the lack of ready talent at Leeds, I can see why they’ve done it. 

Leeds will be paying all his salary.

But half will apparently be cap exempt.

Just now, Rupert Prince said:

In a manner someone else once said,  Eastmond used to be the future once.    Now, at 31 and not having made unfortunately a name for himself, he is something of a sticking plaster for Leeds.

A strange signing.  Clearly a Sean Long signing.  Leeds have money to burn, it would have been better on their Academy and scouting system for me.

One point to remember is that even after only 10 years, the game has changed a lot!  But apart from Saints fans I don't expect many will complain.

Meantime it's a shame Gale is again injured.

One thing that I have liked in the Kev Sinfield DoR era at Leeds is that for the first time in maybe 20 years the club is starting to flex its finacial muscles in the player market.

The comparison with the academy and scouting is a bit flawed. Leeds have a problem with the playing roster now that needs solving so the budget for that has been spent here. No amount of spending on what I assume aren't ridiculous wages for Eastmond on the academy instead would solve that problem in the here and now.

4 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

A point of interest...  was he/they then paid off, or just sacked for not accepting the cut.  Surely he had a contract?

Honestly don't know. I expect there are a fair few players in his position though

1 minute ago, Chris Taylor said:

This would have been the perfect run out for Mccelland, who showed a lot of promise in 2019 at Featherstone. 

I thought for 12 weeks they could have given him a chance for him to be a consistent performer. Something he hasn't really been at Leeds. In one week, out the other. 

Both Gale and Lui are likely to be out for the start of the season, so Mclelland will probably be starting with Eastmond and Myler as 1,6,7. 

This doesn't make Leeds any more likely to win stuff so quoting odds is madness.

It reveals weakness rather than strength if anything, although the injury position makes it a worthwhile risk. But It's the sort of gamble, high profile signing we've not seen at Leeds for a couple of decades. It could work out but it just as well could be a flop.

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

Panic stations at Headingley and you’ve been banging on all winter about Salford having no squad depth 😂

Strange how Sir Kevin keeps going on about Salford’s lack of depth, yet Eastmond wouldn’t even be in our starting 17. But he knows best.

1 minute ago, johnh1 said:

Strange how Sir Kevin keeps going on about Salford’s lack of depth, yet Eastmond wouldn’t even be in our starting 17. But he knows best.

Eastmond is wearing shirt 33, our half backs are Gale, Lui, Myler, Mclelland and now Eastmond, Leeds certainly have plenty of depth to their squad.

Just now, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

How many times have Leeds won the Grand Final and how many times have they won the LLS? 

I know but I'd have thought Leeds getting to the GF - in the laws of probability - should be longer odds than finishing top 2 due to the up to three extra games. 

2 minutes ago, johnh1 said:

The difference is Salford don't have much after their starting 17 and couldn't recruit any more if they wanted to.

11 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

In a manner someone else once said,  Eastmond used to be the future once.    Now, at 31 and not having made unfortunately a name for himself, he is something of a sticking plaster for Leeds.

A strange signing.  Clearly a Sean Long signing.  Leeds have money to burn, it would have been better on their Academy and scouting system for me.

One point to remember is that even after only 10 years, the game has changed a lot!  But apart from Saints fans I don't expect many will complain.

Meantime it's a shame Gale is again injured.

That seems a bit unfair on Sean Long given no evidence whatsoever for the inference. No doubt if/when he fails it will all be Long's fault?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Just now, Man of Kent said:

I know but I'd have thought Leeds getting to the GF - in the laws of probability - should be longer odds than finishing top 2 due to the up to three extra games. 

Out of the 12 Super League teams, 2 will finish in the top 2 and 2 will make the Grand Final, one isn’t easier to achieve than another.

1 minute ago, Blind side johnny said:

That seems a bit unfair on Sean Long given no evidence whatsoever for the inference. No doubt if/when he fails it will all be Long's fault?

The master strategist Kevin Sinfield never takes risks without having a fall guy lined up 😁

😂 Whino's sign Eastmond 😂 - made my day this one !!!

Never managed to string more than a hand full of games together in either code.

Always flattered to deceive and thought he was better than he actually ever was, Saints quickly learned he didn't have the skills to be a half back and he ended up as a fill in at wing or centre.

Showed utter contempt for our game before he left with some pathetic, disparaging comments, and constantly droning on about how yawnion was always his ultimate goal, blah blah blah.

Only made the England yawnion team because they'd thrown big money to lure him away and felt they had to put him in the national squad. He was quickly found out and dumped after just 1 year.

Now after an entire career of underachievement he comes crawling back - at least he's stealing a wage from the Whino's pockets 🤣 They'd better pre-book him a spot in their treatment room, he'll spend more time in there than on the pitch.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

2 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

😂 Whino's sign Eastmond 😂 - made my day this one !!!

Never managed to string more than a hand full of games together in either code.

Always flattered to deceive and thought he was better than he actually ever was, Saints quickly learned he didn't have the skills to be a half back and he ended up as a fill in at wing or centre.

Showed utter contempt for our game before he left with some pathetic, disparaging comments, and constantly droning on about how yawnion was always his ultimate goal, blah blah blah.

Only made the England yawnion team because they'd thrown big money to lure him away and felt they had to put him in the national squad. He was quickly found out and dumped after just 1 year.

Now after an entire career of underachievement he comes crawling back - at least he's stealing a wage from the Whino's pockets 🤣 They'd better pre-book him a spot in their treatment room, he'll spend more time in there than on the pitch.

If I said 5 years in a row would you actually explode? 😂 don't let anyone know its getting to you

6 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

If I said 5 years in a row would you actually explode? 😂 don't let anyone know its getting to you

I think Eastmond can be filed under "something Toppy absolutely 100% doesn't care at all about".

Talk about triggered.

48 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Honestly don't know. I expect there are a fair few players in his position though

There were 5 of them at Leicester, including Eastmond and Tuilagi. Case is still to be heard in court from what I can gather. All very messy and way more expensive than either side could have earned/saved had it not got this far - so very costly for the losing party. 

Archived