Jump to content

Has playing a SOO game in England ever been considered?


Recommended Posts


14 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Just a bit of a wonderment really, has the idea of playing a State of Origin game in England ever been considered? 

I do hope not!

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Just a bit of a wonderment really, has the idea of playing a State of Origin game in England ever been considered? 

It has been talked about, but I doubt it's been taken any further than that.

  • Like 2

"Men will be proud to say 'I am a European'. We hope to see a day when men of every country will think as much of being a European as of being from their native land." (Winston Churchill)

Link to post
Share on other sites

With it being so central to Channel 9 as a ratings and revenue winner I can’t see it , it would be kicking off in the morning 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe there was some talk on here a while back that that a game between two States in Australia that most people couldn't pick out on a map would sell out Wembley in an instant.

I think their reasoning was that loads of Australians work behind the bar in Shepherd's Bush.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dunbar said:

I believe there was some talk on here a while back that that a game between two States in Australia that most people couldn't pick out on a map would sell out Wembley in an instant.

I think their reasoning was that loads of Australians work behind the bar in Shepherd's Bush.

To be fair, when it was Thurston, Slater, Cronk, Inglis and Smith in their pomp - it could well have sold out Old Trafford or The Etihad. Wembley was a bridge too far IMO. Now some of that Queensland side wouldn't make the Combined National All Star Squad 😄 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Scubby said:

To be fair, when it was Thurston, Slater, Cronk, Inglis and Smith in their pomp - it could well have sold out Old Trafford or The Etihad. Wembley was a bridge too far IMO. Now some of that Queensland side wouldn't make the Combined National All Star Squad 😄 

There’s enough Aussies in London to sell it out, loads from the north of England would go and also interested non RL fans. I think it would sell out no bother. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Eddie said:

There’s enough Aussies in London to sell it out, loads from the north of England would go and also interested non RL fans. I think it would sell out no bother. 

I don't know if it a social demographic thing (I.e. those who travel after uni or work abroad etc.) but none of the Aussies I have spoken to in London are Rugby League fans.  I was hoping to chat about League to someone who grew up in 'the' Rugby League country but it is nearly always Union and AFL.

I can honestly say that if you were to judge the popularity of sport in Australia by the interests of the London Aussie set you wouldn't even know Rugby League existed.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I don't know if it a social demographic thing (I.e. those who travel after uni or work abroad etc.) but none of the Aussies I have spoken to in London are Rugby League fans.  I was hoping to chat about League to someone who grew up in 'the' Rugby League country but it is nearly always Union and AFL.

I can honestly say that if you were to judge the popularity of sport in Australia by the interests of the London Aussie set you wouldn't even know Rugby League existed.

Fair enough, I haven’t had a lot to do with them, I just know that when I used to go there a lot (10 years or so ago) you couldn’t move for them, but what you say makes sense. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eddie said:

There’s enough Aussies in London to sell it out, loads from the north of England would go and also interested non RL fans. I think it would sell out no bother. 

Apart from people on here - no one in the UK has a clue what SoO is, so no chance.

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

I don't know if it a social demographic thing (I.e. those who travel after uni or work abroad etc.) but none of the Aussies I have spoken to in London are Rugby League fans.  I was hoping to chat about League to someone who grew up in 'the' Rugby League country but it is nearly always Union and AFL.

I can honestly say that if you were to judge the popularity of sport in Australia by the interests of the London Aussie set you wouldn't even know Rugby League existed.

Interesting as I've met loads who do. I obviously mix with in better social circles than you 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Just a bit of a wonderment really, has the idea of playing a State of Origin game in England ever been considered? 

Never mind State of Origin, England playing International games in England outside a World Cup would be a start, with a full strength England side (NRL players) against decent (Southern Hemisphere) sides.

Edited by Sir Kevin Sinfield
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Never mind State of Origin, England playing International games in England outside a World Cup would be a start, with a full strength England side (NRL players) against decent (Southern Hemisphere) sides.

Thought you'd ****** off to union?

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Interesting as I've met loads who do. I obviously mix with in better social circles than you 

Fair enough.  Mine was by no means an exhaustive study but I do remember being frustrated and surprised with how little Aussies I met over here were interested in Rugby League.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I don't know if it a social demographic thing (I.e. those who travel after uni or work abroad etc.) but none of the Aussies I have spoken to in London are Rugby League fans.  I was hoping to chat about League to someone who grew up in 'the' Rugby League country but it is nearly always Union and AFL.

I can honestly say that if you were to judge the popularity of sport in Australia by the interests of the London Aussie set you wouldn't even know Rugby League existed.

 Unfortunately It is a social demographic thing, League fans are far more likely to be found in Bali.

Why do think I am such a big fan of DCE, well-spoken, not a tat in sight and intelligent and I think he`s a very good player.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Just a bit of a wonderment really, has the idea of playing a State of Origin game in England ever been considered? 

Apologies,  but this has to be the most, to be polite, silly question ever.

Being serious, I remember  QLD doing a brief tour (in the Wally Lewis days?).  A nice little earner for the players and a bit of holiday back in the old country.   So that sort of an idea against some top teams and rep fixtures?? Surely plausible.

However, that really was killed when we went to Summer.  Having looked at this experiment, I think it's been a failure.  We should go back to Winter.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I just want to point out, I was asking this question in the interests of learning a bit of our games history, I was literally asking, in the history of our game has this ever been considered? I was not actually putting it out there as a suggestion. 

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I just want to point out, I was asking this question in the interests of learning a bit of our games history, I was literally asking, in the history of our game has this ever been considered? I was not actually putting it out there as a suggestion. 

Ihttps://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/state-of-origin-melbourne-one-day-perth-and-london-the-next-20140602-zrvd1.html

Beyond this, I don’t think I’ve ever seen any other press about it or that this was ever a serious suggestion. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hela Wigmen said:

What commercial value does a game in England give the NRL? Very little, so it’s a non-starter, I reckon. 

There's more likelihood of it being taken to Dubai or similar.

(And the likelihood of that is basically a statistical zero).

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

I just want to point out, I was asking this question in the interests of learning a bit of our games history, I was literally asking, in the history of our game has this ever been considered? I was not actually putting it out there as a suggestion. 

I think it's been suggested, but, as far as I'm aware, not by anyone sensible or with anything to do with it.

I think they'd be lucky to get 10k wherever it was held.

People called Romans they go the house

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...