Jump to content

Miracle workers at Castleford


Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, RP London said:

While i agree with the point you're making, this is a year with a massively congested fixture list which is not allowing for some bumps and niggles to get sorted in a short turn around.. are we really suggesting that we should be putting out injured players to potentially damage themselves more? Do we not have a duty of care to the players not to do this?

 

Which is why I said without good reason. Clubs are exploiting the issues for their own benefit. Are we suggesting that some Super League clubs can't raise 17 players? All the clubs in Super League wanted this schedule (why didn't they scrap loop fixtures?) so they should have the squad and relevant contingencies to cope with it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


33 minutes ago, Dave T said:

What is the basis for a 24 v 0 result for not fulfilling a fixture? Maybe this should be more if it is meant to be a form of punishment. 24 v 0 doesn't really harm your PD too much and teams lose by more than 24 pretty regularly anyway. 

Maybe 60 nil would be slightly better?

How many games have we had 'cancelled' now - is it Cas, Hudds and we had Salford last season? Any others?

It always used to be 18-0 in the amateur game, then it was upped to 24-0 about 10 years ago.   Its just one of those historical things.  Some amateur league accompany the 24-0 with a 2 point deduction as well

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

Which is why I said without good reason. Clubs are exploiting the issues for their own benefit. Are we suggesting that some Super League clubs can't raise 17 players? All the clubs in Super League wanted this schedule (why didn't they scrap loop fixtures?) so they should have the squad and relevant contingencies to cope with it. 

To get rid of loop fixtures would have meant taking a pay cut from tv.. therefore their ability to pay a squad.. did everyone expect this to have such a toll on the players, obviously not.. add to that the ongoing issues around covid which have still had a heavy impact when one may have expected it to be less at the beginning of the season (after which strengthening the squads has been much much harder).

I dont think any clubs are exploiting the rules that badly.. if they honestly think they cannot get a team out on the advice of the medics (i assume you have proof that is not what is happening.. otherwise its mere speculation) then its probably best they dont (given the issues we have around forcing players to play with head knocks in the past and the pending legal action in union and potentially league).. 

Look i know its rubbish but we are all speculating that they are all cheating.. maybe just maybe this is a perfect storm of ###### that they just cannot get through with everything involved.. Yes we all saw it coming and we all said scrap loop fixtures but its hardly like we are swimming in cash and they took the least bad option in their opinion based on information they had at the time.. 20:20 hindsight will crucify pretty much anyone but we dont half b*tch and wh*ne on here without knowing the full facts.. i do it too... just trying to point out that maybe everyone is just doing their best in a god awful situation.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

Exactly. Teams not fullfilling fixtures sets a dangerous precident. It's absolutely the worst thing any club can do. Think about the amount of revenue lost when a game doesn't go ahead. Imagine a scenario where a team gets relegated on points difference due 24-0 scorelines. Anyone involved in a club that forfeits a game without a very good reason should hang their heads in shame. 

In Huddersfield's case we have a very good reason - we have 7 available players, Cas clearly just wanted to give a tough game a miss to be fresher for easier games.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Which of the Cas players should have been made to play?

Lots of people seem happy enough for people to risk their careers over this.

Or should they have played the youth team in a men's fixture?

No risk attached to that.

  • Like 2

People called Romans they go the house

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, daz39 said:

In Huddersfield's case we have a very good reason - we have 7 available players, Cas clearly just wanted to give a tough game a miss to be fresher for easier games.

I do like the different perspective depending on if its your club or not.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Damien said:

I do like the different perspective depending on if its your club or not.

As per with everyone, let's see what our next squad looks like and if it is anything near as strong as Cas' 'depleted' squad i'll curse my own club too.

Edited by daz39
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, daz39 said:

In Huddersfield's case we have a very good reason - we have 7 available players, Cas clearly just wanted to give a tough game a miss to be fresher for easier games.

Obviously for it to be so clear you work on the medical team at Cas? otherwise its just utter speculation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, daz39 said:

In Huddersfield's case we have a very good reason - we have 7 available players, Cas clearly just wanted to give a tough game a miss to be fresher for easier games.

Any thoughts on why there are so many injuries at Huddersfield?

With six out due to covid that's what 18 out injured from a 31 man squad?

There's only been one short turn around so far (I think) which is no worse than a normal season with an Easter weekend. Surely for 18 to be out injured all at the same time after just 12 games there's more to it than just bad luck?

Edited by Moove
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, daz39 said:

In Huddersfield's case we have a very good reason - we have 7 available players, Cas clearly just wanted to give a tough game a miss to be fresher for easier games.

Of course no team has ever fielded a weakened team before. Let's not forget that as well as the injuries, Cas' academy system was shut down for Covid reasons, meaning they couldn't call up players.

But it was against St. Helen's and, as we know, everyone is terrified of them so of course they just forfeited the game for a laugh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, RP London said:

Obviously for it to be so clear you work on the medical team at Cas? otherwise its just utter speculation.

Correct, i am of course speculating as i don't know but it doesn't look incorrect the way Cas have gone about it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Moove said:

Any thoughts on why there are so many injuries at Huddersfield?

With six out due to covid that's what 18 out injured from a 31 man squad?

There's only been one short turn around so far (I think) which is no worse than a normal season with an Easter weekend. Surely for 18 to be out injured all at the same time after just 12 games there's more to it than just bad luck?

No idea, but our biggest issue is long term injuries rather than short ones, we have 4 or 5 done for the season and 6 or 7 others short-mid term, add that to the 5 affected by Covid and then we're down to 12 or 13 mainly academy lads who also played at the weekend, playing those twice in 3 days is obviously a welfare issue given the stsge of their physical and match development.

I'm not happy but fairly certain the club didn't have a choice and like i have said if we have 90% of our 1st team squad back like Cas did i will criticise them too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Correct, i am of course speculating as i don't know but it doesn't look incorrect the way Cas have gone about it.

i take it you are a doctor or physio? if not then I suggest "incorrect" is the incorrect word to use.. 

Look, we dont know what the situation was and what extra risks would have been being added to these players by making them play. I suggest we leave the decision making and the criticism of those to the people with the knowledge and training. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, RP London said:

i take it you are a doctor or physio? if not then I suggest "incorrect" is the incorrect word to use.. 

Look, we dont know what the situation was and what extra risks would have been being added to these players by making them play. I suggest we leave the decision making and the criticism of those to the people with the knowledge and training. 

I dunno, "doesn't look incorrect" is a double negative and means it is correct....I think...

Edited by dkw
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, RP London said:

To get rid of loop fixtures would have meant taking a pay cut from tv.. therefore their ability to pay a squad.. did everyone expect this to have such a toll on the players, obviously not.. add to that the ongoing issues around covid which have still had a heavy impact when one may have expected it to be less at the beginning of the season (after which strengthening the squads has been much much harder).

I dont think any clubs are exploiting the rules that badly.. if they honestly think they cannot get a team out on the advice of the medics (i assume you have proof that is not what is happening.. otherwise its mere speculation) then its probably best they dont (given the issues we have around forcing players to play with head knocks in the past and the pending legal action in union and potentially league).. 

Look i know its rubbish but we are all speculating that they are all cheating.. maybe just maybe this is a perfect storm of ###### that they just cannot get through with everything involved.. Yes we all saw it coming and we all said scrap loop fixtures but its hardly like we are swimming in cash and they took the least bad option in their opinion based on information they had at the time.. 20:20 hindsight will crucify pretty much anyone but we dont half b*tch and wh*ne on here without knowing the full facts.. i do it too... just trying to point out that maybe everyone is just doing their best in a god awful situation.

As usual, a sensible post mate that I absolutely agree with.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, RP London said:

To get rid of loop fixtures would have meant taking a pay cut from tv.. 

This is the bit I don't understand 

Do Sky pay for a set number of games ? , Or a set number of rounds ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

This is the bit I don't understand 

Do Sky pay for a set number of games ? , Or a set number of rounds ?

I would guess rounds are more important to them, as long as we can put two games per week on, they should be happy

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Damien said:

I don't understand the relevance in the slightest. Teams should fulfil fixtures no matter where they are in the table.

because its what is happening if a team claims to be short on players they can just cancel and accept a 24-0 loss safe in the knowledge that it wont alter there seasons end  .

lets face it cas claimed to have a scratch team the game  before the semi final yet were close on full strength when they played in the semi the week after. so now what's to stop them just making the claim they do not have players whenever they want to although of course no doubt they will be fit for Wembley. 

lets face it even leigh fans know there going down so no other club need worry about relegation .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, paul hicks said:

because its what is happening if a team claims to be short on players they can just cancel and accept a 24-0 loss safe in the knowledge that it wont alter there seasons end  .

lets face it cas claimed to have a scratch team the game  before the semi final yet were close on full strength when they played in the semi the week after. so now what's to stop them just making the claim they do not have players whenever they want to although of course no doubt they will be fit for Wembley. 

lets face it even leigh fans know there going down so no other club need worry about relegation .

Sorry in a professional league system this is just nonsense. As I said , and the post you replied to, was that 24-0 is no deterrent and all you are doing is confirming that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does anyone know if clubs have to follow self isolating rules. As if players are training in bubbles if one player tests positive everyone in that training bubble would then have to self isolate for ten days. If that’s the case these players would be unavailable but may never fail a test so wouldn’t count towards the numbers a club needs to call a fixture off without penalty. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The only logical solutuon is to turn Super League into a double vaccinated over 50's league till the start of season 2022.

I may make my professional debut yet!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

The only logical solutuon is to turn Super League into a double vaccinated over 50's league till the start of season 2022.

I may make my professional debut yet!

If it gets Baz n Tez involved and off commentary I’m all for it 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, paul hicks said:

because its what is happening if a team claims to be short on players they can just cancel and accept a 24-0 loss safe in the knowledge that it wont alter there seasons end  .

lets face it cas claimed to have a scratch team the game  before the semi final yet were close on full strength when they played in the semi the week after. so now what's to stop them just making the claim they do not have players whenever they want to although of course no doubt they will be fit for Wembley. 

lets face it even leigh fans know there going down so no other club need worry about relegation .

Why won't a 24 nil loss affect their season? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...