Jump to content

Ben Flower comes out of retirement :)


Recommended Posts


36 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

It’s a shame so many retired Super League players choose to play lower level Rugby Union rather than Rugby League. It would have been nice to see him turn out for West Wales Raiders, with their funding cuts I guess they can’t get near to what 3rd division Welsh Rugby Union can offer him in wages.

In this case he started in RU so not unusual to go back to it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

It’s a shame so many retired Super League players choose to play lower level Rugby Union rather than Rugby League. It would have been nice to see him turn out for West Wales Raiders, with their funding cuts I guess they can’t get near to what 3rd division Welsh Rugby Union can offer him in wages.

The man is lower than a snakes belly, he has held out his hand all season at Leigh for doing sod all, he hasn't been injured he was just refusing to play, "I signed on to play in the Championship not SL" he said, well why didn't he do the honorable thing resign and find a Championship club, he showed his true colours about what kind of man he is when he refused to play for Wales, I seem to recall the standard of his to be teammate's were not to his liking, or words to that effect was his reasoning. 

I would normally wish a long standing player in our game all the best for their future but in this case I will make an exception.

  • Like 15
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

It’s a shame so many retired Super League players choose to play lower level Rugby Union rather than Rugby League. It would have been nice to see him turn out for West Wales Raiders, with their funding cuts I guess they can’t get near to what 3rd division Welsh Rugby Union can offer him in wages.

Did you read the article? They’re his original club and the one that his family are involved with. It’s 70 odd miles from Pontypool to Llanelli. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

It’s a shame so many retired Super League players choose to play lower level Rugby Union rather than Rugby League. It would have been nice to see him turn out for West Wales Raiders, with their funding cuts I guess they can’t get near to what 3rd division Welsh Rugby Union can offer him in wages.

Wasnt he playing lower level RL when he retired

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

He showed up in two games, doubtful that he completed 40 mins in total of hardly going through the motions, BUT it was in SL not lower level, unless that is a cheap swipe at Leigh.🤔

Of course it was.

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

The man is lower than a snakes belly, he has held out his hand all season at Leigh for doing sod all, he hasn't been injured he was just refusing to play, "I signed on to play in the Championship not SL" he said, well why didn't he do the honorable thing resign and find a Championship club, he showed his true colours about what kind of man he is when he refused to play for Wales, I seem to recall the standard of his to be teammate's were not to his liking, or words to that effect was his reasoning. 

I would normally wish a long standing player in our game all the best for their future but in this case I will make an exception.

The guy seems like a real piece of work (and that's before we start on his Grand Final indiscretions)

What I don't understand though is how he wasn't in breach of contract in some way? How was he able to just sit on his booty and collect the money?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

The guy seems like a real piece of work (and that's before we start on his Grand Final indiscretions)

What I don't understand though is how he wasn't in breach of contract in some way? How was he able to just sit on his booty and collect the money?

Tight hammies are a ###### when it comes to a teamsheet - any player not wanting to play can find a reason not to. We had a squad on its arriss, no middles and 4 hookers/halves on the bench at one point but still no hand went up. Suppose the club can't call him out as very difficult to prove.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

The man is lower than a snakes belly, he has held out his hand all season at Leigh for doing sod all, he hasn't been injured he was just refusing to play, "I signed on to play in the Championship not SL" he said, well why didn't he do the honorable thing resign and find a Championship club, he showed his true colours about what kind of man he is when he refused to play for Wales, I seem to recall the standard of his to be teammate's were not to his liking, or words to that effect was his reasoning. 

I would normally wish a long standing player in our game all the best for their future but in this case I will make an exception.

No one who gets a six month ban should get any kind of great send-off. Same goes for drug bans etc.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

It’s a shame so many retired Super League players choose to play lower level Rugby Union rather than Rugby League. It would have been nice to see him turn out for West Wales Raiders, with their funding cuts I guess they can’t get near to what 3rd division Welsh Rugby Union can offer him in wages.

Got to laugh Sir KEVIN (Union) SINFIELD

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

He showed up in two games, doubtful that he completed 40 mins in total of hardly going through the motions, BUT it was in SL not lower level, unless that is a cheap swipe at Leigh.🤔

Not at all, wasnt it reported that he felt hard done to that he signed to play championship footy. 

I cant see any other Championship club to pay him a FT contract

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Not at all, wasn't it reported that he felt hard done to that he signed to play championship footy. 

It seems a curious thing that a player would not only WANT to play at a lower level, but would actively ENSURE that he didn't have to play at a higher level.

I'm sure 99.9999% of players want to play at the highest level they can

Even then he could have asked to be loaned out to a Championship club or just retire gracefully. Instead it just kinda looks like he saw an opportunity to literally get 'money for nothing' and took it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

It seems a curious thing that a player would not only WANT to play at a lower level, but would actively ENSURE that he didn't have to play at a higher level.

I'm sure 99.9999% of players want to play at the highest level they can

Even then he could have asked to be loaned out to a Championship club or just retire gracefully. Instead it just kinda looks like he saw an opportunity to literally get 'money for nothing' and took it.

Degsy strikes again. Pays a player who didn’t actually want to play, only a few seasons after not paying players who wanted to 😜

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, paulwalker71 said:

It seems a curious thing that a player would not only WANT to play at a lower level, but would actively ENSURE that he didn't have to play at a higher level.

I'm sure 99.9999% of players want to play at the highest level they can

Even then he could have asked to be loaned out to a Championship club or just retire gracefully. Instead it just kinda looks like he saw an opportunity to literally get 'money for nothing' and took it.

Would his argument be that he sighed up to play at a certain level - with a certain reward.

An analogy would be if you signed a contract for work and as soon as you started they said you have a bigger job with more pressure and more chance of failure but we are not paying you any more!

Not saying he is right or wrong, just looking at perspective. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

Would his argument be that he sighed up to play at a certain level - with a certain reward.

An analogy would be if you signed a contract for work and as soon as you started they said you have a bigger job with more pressure and more chance of failure but we are not paying you any more!

Not saying he is right or wrong, just looking at perspective. 

Wouldn't that also be true for almost every member of the Leigh squad this season?

The difference is that the others rolled their sleeves up and gave it their best shot.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Wouldn't that also be true for almost every member of the Leigh squad this season?

The difference is that the others rolled their sleeves up and gave it their best shot.

I do agree with you and I have to say, I would have wanted and expected him to play as well. 

As I say, just trying to add a bit of perspective.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Would his argument be that he sighed up to play at a certain level - with a certain reward.

An analogy would be if you signed a contract for work and as soon as you started they said you have a bigger job with more pressure and more chance of failure but we are not paying you any more!

Not saying he is right or wrong, just looking at perspective. 

Absolutely Leigh wanted Flower to play in Super League on a Championship wage, his contract stated it was for Championship Rugby League. Leigh tried to bully Flower into playing Super League on this deal, something the RFL should block anyway, all Super League players should have a Super League contract. Well done to Ben Flower for demanding a Super League contract and a Super League wage to play in Super League, it’s the Leigh club who acted disgracefully in this dispute.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...