Stadium updates .......

10 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Can't access Facebook- what does it say mate?

Says he has secured 5.4 million from government, 1 million promised from allerdale conservatives and the borough park/ lonsdale park site is secured for the work. 

It's now up to town and reds to make it happen this year

• Thanks 1

Supporters of both clubs really need an update on this otherwise the rumour mill will be in full flow by the end of January.

Questions we need answered :

Funding - where are they with funding, are they waiting of confirmation of funding (FA or Sport England for example)

Delays - for example: the rumoured delay in Town being able to use the current DP site towards the new stadium construction as the current

Plans - when will the initial plans be released

Planned start date - surely they must have some sort of planned start date

• Like 1

20 hours ago, rockerlad said:

Hopefully he's only got less than 2yrs left masquerading as our MP , it's not about the constituency he represents,  its all about him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rockerlad said:

https://cumbriacrack.com/2023/01/03/exclusive-ground-breaking-nuclear-reactors-set-to-be-built-in-workington/?feed_id=846&_unique_id=63b45cbb59d57

the area has been selected to build small nuclear reactors, with the mine and now this maybe funding towards the stadium will come from these 2 sectors 

Yeah at the carneigie meeting they were targeting Rolls Royce nuclear for investment,  but now that's gone elsewhere these can hopefully fill the gap.

• Like 1

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

6 hours ago, Unicorn 106 said:

Hopefully he's only got less than 2yrs left masquerading as our MP , it's not about the constituency he represents,  its all about him.

There are separate pages on here for political opinions and threads - he was voted in by the people of workington so slating him on a RL thread will end up just causing arguments with people who support him.

Let's stick to RL / Town talk.

• Haha 1

The man is a fraud.He knows the stadium project is in trouble and may not go ahead at all. That's why his statement ends by saying 'its up to Reds and Town to see it goes ahead'. He's already passing the buck.

If he really believes in a new stadium for Wton, he should be spending less time filling in his expenses claims and doing something about a) his Tory friends at Allerdale blocking the D Pk land proceeds going into the stadium plan

b) fighting for the government to relax the strict conditions attached to the money so that stage 1 can go ahead  in April without all the matched funding being secured for stage 2. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, DocH said:

I'd be amazed if there were many if any RL fans that support him ? 

I'm amazed that anybody supports him to be honest given the record, but hey ho,  each to his own

Edited by Onreport

15 minutes ago, rockerlad said:

budget was 12m but that was before all this cost of living crisis 

The original plan that everyone liked including me - Which Jenkinson and the independent clowns cancelled - it incorporated offices in one of the stands for BFNL etc, and NHS in another Stand and we got a good looking stadium out of it---  now they are building Allerdale Borough Council’s Innovation Hub which is under development in Central Way [How many millions is that costing] and a  £15m NHS Community Diagnostic Centre (CDC) next to it.

Probably cost more to build all these separately than as per original plan.

Unfortunately we probably left with something akin to recre but without the covered Kells end. As one person put it on here "a bus shelter and 3 open ends.

I have said it before and will say again, this whole situation is just a manipulation to get the Reds a new stand, this is not a stadium build but a up grade for Borough Park. Can’t see Town getting much out of it, not even a full size pitch as we now have at DP.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bobg said:

I have said it before and will say again, this whole situation is just a manipulation to get the Reds a new stand, this is not a stadium build but a up grade for Borough Park. Can’t see Town getting much out of it, not even a full size pitch as we now have at DP.

I agree reds ground to small if i remember when we played there Tyler Mellor ended up as Gazza put it [about P Ince] like a pint of Guinness with the top of his head all bandaged with crashing into railings on dead ball line.

Also what about the new IMG categories - if we end up with  "a bus shelter and 3 open ends we will never get higher than grade C

36 minutes ago, bobg said:

18 minutes ago, Derwent Parker said:

I agree reds ground to small if i remember when we played there Tyler Mellor ended up as Gazza put it [about P Ince] like a pint of Guinness with the top of his head all bandaged with crashing into railings on dead ball line.

Also what about the new IMG categories - if we end up with  "a bus shelter and 3 open ends we will never get higher than grade C

I thought the plans involved turning the pitch 90 degrees,so it’s doubtful they’d have the exact same pitch dimensions & impossible to have those same railings.

Bus shelter,I’m sure a modern grandstand with corporate & community facilities will count for more than an extra non covered end if that’s what is built,especially as one of DP’s 2 ends is an unusable grass bank.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Davo5 said:

I thought the plans involved turning the pitch 90 degrees,so it’s doubtful they’d have the exact same pitch dimensions & impossible to have those same railings.

Bus shelter,I’m sure a modern grandstand with corporate & community facilities will count for more than an extra non covered end if that’s what is built,especially as one of DP’s 2 ends is an unusable grass bank.

Because the people in charge of this will not tell us anything - people are guessing or thinking the worst. So without that info forthcoming we can only go off the only piece of information written in black and white on Allerdale websites minutes which is :- 

RE: The stadium - It states they will only build the grandstand - nothing else 

it states in item 9.04 "The first phase of development to be funded through the Town Deal would be based on a partial redevelopment of Borough Park and primarily involve the demolition and replacement of a new stand in its place. The existing playing surface would be replaced with a new synthetic pitch which will allow for the increased use of the pitch by both clubs as well as offering potential for increase usage outside of match days".

item 9.31

"The Sports Village Company will be responsible for raising the additional funding necessary to deliver future phases of development."

So looking after what we currently have is not that expensive now, is it

So they are going to build the grandstand only the other 3 sides will have to be paid for by Town and Reds in future or stay as a one stand ground - half of what we have now at DP

2 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Edited by Derwent Parker
spelling

5 minutes ago, Derwent Parker said:

So at worst you’ll gain a modern grandstand that might well attract new fans & sponsorship opportunities & lose 1 old covered terrace & upset a few old boys who insist on standing on the same bit of crumbling terrace they’ve stood on for 40 yrs.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1