JJB and Jon Wilkin join Sky commentary team for 2022

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
55 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

And whilst I agree that it's great we now have so many ways to watch RL let's not forget when it comes to paying for it, Super League is still only propped up by Sky and I highly doubt any of the others will start a bidding war when the next round of negotiation start. 

Just out of interest regarding the TV companies, who gets paid what?  Does C4 pay Sky, does Sportsman pay RFL?

I like both individuals and am northern enough to understand most of what JJB says. Both are on TV a lot so not particularly exciting additions.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Commentators and pundits are so subjective based on the type of insight you like to see and (probably more importantly) whether you like to listen to the people in question.

For what it's worth, if I am ever watching a Sky game I have recorded, I will fast forward through all of the studio chat with the exception of Jon Wells as I think he provides genuinely insightful views on the game while all the rest is just cliché.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

12 hours ago, Josef K said:

Are the Rugby League matches on long enough with Wilkin joining the gang. He loves babbling on so the mute button comes in really handy. 

Thete is always someone who is negative lol

2 hours ago, The storm said:

Everybody else can 

I can't and i'm a Northerner !!

He's a nice guy with a lot of RL knowledge & insight and his accent isn't an issue and he obviously can't help sounding like he's got rocks in his mouth, but that doesn't make him a good choice as a commentator.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

1 minute ago, The storm said:

Well they must be pretty inward looking if cant understand JJB

Maybe try sticking to the top of elephant lane

JJB doesn't have a good clear speaking voice for broadcasting. 

17 minutes ago, The storm said:

Well they must be pretty inward looking if cant understand JJB

Maybe try sticking to the top of elephant lane

Or maybe he's just a poor communicator who doesn't speak clearly and doesn't come across well on TV. Yes that could be it.

21 minutes ago, Dave T said:

JJB doesn't have a good clear speaking voice for broadcasting. 

While it is true he can be difficult to understand he has only moved into punditry fairly recently since retiring so could well get better in that regard as he does the job more regularly. From the little I've seen he does seem to understand the game very well and is good at articulating his points. As long as he doesn't fall into the sort of caricatured roles the Sky team have a tendency to do then he should be a good addition.

Just now, wiganermike said:

While it is true he can be difficult to understand he has only recently moved into punditry fairly recently since retiring so could well get better in that regard as he does the job more regularly. From the little I've seen he does seem to understand the game very well and is good at articulating his points. As long as he doesn't fall into the sort of caricatured roles the Sky team have a tendency to do then he should be a good addition.

Your first line is an issue though, I don't know any other pundit who has that challenge with their actual speaking voice. Sure, plenty improve, so I get the point you're making, but people don't generally start from his level. 

7 minutes ago, Damien said:

Or maybe he's just a poor communicator who doesn't speak clearly and doesn't come across well on TV. Yes that could be it.

JJB is one of the best communicators i have ever seen in our game. 

The fact that you struggle to understand him is your problem rsther than his 

2 minutes ago, The storm said:

JJB is one of the best communicators i have ever seen in our game. 

The fact that you struggle to understand him is your problem rsther than his 

You've come on this thread and immediately told lies to Dave by saying everyone else can understand him when if you'd have read the thread its quite obvious many can't. Therefore it certainly isn't just my problem. Then you start with the strawman arguments about Eton and spit your dummy out because people don't agree.

He's not even in the best 3 current communicators from Leeds never mind in the game or its history. That's absurd.

6 minutes ago, Damien said:

You've come on this thread and immediately told lies to Dave by saying everyone else can understand him when if you'd have read the thread its quite obvious many can't. Therefore it certainly isn't just my problem. Then you start with the strawman arguments about Eton and spit your dummy out because people don't agree.

He's not even in the best 3 current communicators from Leeds never mind in the game or its history. That's absurd.

Its hardly lies is it 

Ive listened to JJB many times and he is thoughtful, articulate, intelligent and inspiring 

I should have clarified, that is my view and i have no issue comprehending what he is saying 

Archived