Challenge Cup Final Entertainment

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

RFL should try to get pre match entertainment that brings in a new, younger audience into the game. As an Australian I'm not sure how much they'd even by able to spend, but I'd be trying to get someone like KSI. He's not a fulltime musician and likely spends more on marketing than he actually makes from his music. He has an audience of millions of (mostly) children and would surely not cost as much as a fulltime musician of similar fame

27 minutes ago, HartwoodHarvard said:

RFL should try to get pre match entertainment that brings in a new, younger audience into the game. As an Australian I'm not sure how much they'd even by able to spend, but I'd be trying to get someone like KSI. He's not a fulltime musician and likely spends more on marketing than he actually makes from his music. He has an audience of millions of (mostly) children and would surely not cost as much as a fulltime musician of similar fame

They aren't interested mate. Their idea of modern is to hire Indie bands from 25 years ago, as shown by the Grand Final. 

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

They aren't interested mate. Their idea of modern is to hire Indie bands from 25 years ago, as shown by the Grand Final. 

This really shows how poor the RFL is. It's like they are still patting themselves in the back because they got some praise for it a decade ago.

When they started off doing this many thought it was great. It seemed quite novel and a good time was had by all with Old Trafford rocking to the likes of James. Then they did it again, and again. Fast forward 7 years and the RFL are still doing the same with bands like Shed Seven, bands that were even quite niche when I liked them back in the day. Even people I know my age couldn't name one of their songs.

There is simply no innovation and no moving on. These days I find the sight of 40 and 50 year old dancing away with their beer, while everyone younger thinks what the hell this is, quite pathetic. Surely entertainment should be current and relevant to appeal to each new generation? I've had my time, we don't need to keep reliving the 90s.

On 29/03/2022 at 17:17, Jughead said:

Lizzie Jones’ performance at Wembley a few months after, and not so many miles   from where Danny passed, was sensational. I’ve not seen as many grown men in tears as Abide With Me that day. Conversely, I had the displeasure of sampling Simmons and Wayne Godwin in BoxPark prior to the 2019 final and a barmaid served me and asked me “does anyone find him funny?” and “is he okay?” regarding Godwin.

I got that "I am really trying not to cry" look and the 1.5 metres of feminine joy did the adult thang and weeped.

Bravery is working as a nurse on a COVID ward or assaulting the advances of Russian tanks in Ukraine, not singing nor Phillip Schofield.  But Lizzie Jones certainly was close that day. 

We salute you, so thumbs up on your return. 

Seriously have no idea who Alex Simmons is. I thought we were referring to that Kiss singer?! (Imagine that, perhaps do not).

If he is doing a DJ set, you know it will be somewhere like a cheap version of the already bargain bin facsimile that is Capital radio. Keep his gob shut and resist the jokes, the "classy" insults about passing women and interrupting both the intro and outro. Just play the music. 

Ellery Hanley as a DJ sounds possibly remarkably too good to be true. As a kid I am sure I wasn't the only one who despised the overwhelming juggernaut that was 80/90s Wigan but loved (most) of the individual players, especially Ellery. I'd love it if his son wanted to do a spell at SRD. But the idea Ellery can "do" music, is alluring for a stint. Maybe though too rich for the RFL cloth caps. Is Peter Skellern still about?

My nephew is a Spurs supporter. If he is accurate, we are in for a remarkable treat at that ground, irrespective of who does the DJ duties that day. 

4 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

It is somewhat of an oversight that with so many influencers or sporting vloggers based in London we havent reached out. 

And not just CC final,  with a World Cup opening in Newcastle someone at the rfl should be getting on the phone to the true geordie pod and pitching some guests. 

Great idea. Kind of thing that may not give a return you can measure, but would certainly give exposure to the game to those who may not know about it. Worth a go anyway.

I'm still not sure why they promoted Simmons as if he was a universally popular figure in RL, or maybe they think he is, which shows they have their heads in the sand.

7 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

I am a bit of an oddball being in that 18-34 male demo that does know who these people are but I dont care. 

However,  as a sport we would be mad not to tap into it and new content for content creators is exactly what we look for.  

Getting a lad like Jermaine mcgillvary or Ryan Hall who are perfect for the demo we are seeking to grab is a no brainer.  Ant and Dec was a coup but media outreach has to be a 360 approach and anytime we can get out of our rugby league silo, we have to push it. 

McGilvary or Hall are anonymous to the majority of the country, if you’re getting a vlogger, get a proper vlogger in that bubble who are well known or at least someone plenty have heard of like a Tony Bellew, who waxed lyrical about the game online during lockdown.

McGilvary or Hall putting out stuff on Instagram to their audience of 8,800 and 38,000 is utterly pointless. 

23 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

If you read I wasnt talking about them putting out stuff on instagram themselves. I am talking about leveraging the audience of others  (true geordie as an example) and getting them on in buildup to the World cup.  

Of course our players are unknñwn but thats the job of the game, to promote them by putting them on platforms to reach New audiences. 

You need access to those people with an audience first, you need them at our events in the first place, to create some form of interest and audience before you worry about leverage. 

3 hours ago, Damien said:

This really shows how poor the RFL is. It's like they are still patting themselves in the back because they got some praise for it a decade ago.

When they started off doing this many thought it was great. It seemed quite novel and a good time was had by all with Old Trafford rocking to the likes of James. Then they did it again, and again. Fast forward 7 years and the RFL are still doing the same with bands like Shed Seven, bands that were even quite niche when I liked them back in the day. Even people I know my age couldn't name one of their songs.

There is simply no innovation and no moving on. These days I find the sight of 40 and 50 year old dancing away with their beer, while everyone younger thinks what the hell this is, quite pathetic. Surely entertainment should be current and relevant to appeal to each new generation? I've had my time, we don't need to keep reliving the 90s.

Yup. James was a masterstroke. Then they just did the same thing with less appropriate bands each time. 

Tucking an indie band away in the corner of a huge stadium is useless. I'm a fan of Blossoms (for once a modern band) but I couldn't even hear them and I was sat at that end. 

In my experience, younger kids are a lot more open-minded about older bands/performers than their parents' generation* are about the current scene.

*who would furiously deny that they have turned into their parents, but do rather give it away with every opinion they utter about modern music.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

33 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

In my experience, younger kids are a lot more open-minded about older bands/performers than their parents' generation* are about the current scene.

*who would furiously deny that they have turned into their parents, but do rather give it away with every opinion they utter about modern music.

All I would say is that nobody - or hardly anybody - is going to be buying a Grand Final ticket because Northern Uproar are playing beforehand. But booking Northern Uproar rather gives away exactly who your ticket audience is.

I'd also add that we're not uniquely bad at this. I've watched bewilderingly bad or pointless sets before major football, speedway and cricket events.

But when it works, it really works. And when connected to the creation of a proper fan experience (I honestly think everyone should be made to see how Southampton cricket ground does this as it is a truly awful venue to get to but does everything right in terms of multiple different mini-events when there) does make you want to go back again and again.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

49 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

12 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

All I would say is that nobody - or hardly anybody - is going to be buying a Grand Final ticket because Northern Uproar are playing beforehand. But booking Northern Uproar rather gives away exactly who your ticket audience is.

I'd also add that we're not uniquely bad at this. I've watched bewilderingly bad or pointless sets before major football, speedway and cricket events.

But when it works, it really works. And when connected to the creation of a proper fan experience (I honestly think everyone should be made to see how Southampton cricket ground does this as it is a truly awful venue to get to but does everything right in terms of multiple different mini-events when there) does make you want to go back again and again.

Agree with both of these - and I would add that I have enjoyed many of the bands that SL GF has chosen (I'm a Northern Indie fan, white, 43 year old male).

All of the bands did a decent job, working with a terrible stadium setup and poor sound system, that isn't an issue here - what it does do is demonstrate that we are not modern, and do not do these things well. 

As a direct comparison - The Hundred integrated music as part of their offering (as SL has tried to do), and their acts were Jax Jones, Becky Hill, Jake Bugg, The Lathums, Joel Corry etc. They also had a ruck of modern BBC Introducing bands - many doing well on the gig scene. 

One of these tournaments looks like it is being organised by a modern, forward thinking organisation with a clear vision, the other looks like it was organised by my Aunty Marg.

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Agree with both of these - and I would add that I have enjoyed many of the bands that SL GF has chosen (I'm a Northern Indie fan, white, 43 year old male).

All of the bands did a decent job, working with a terrible stadium setup and poor sound system, that isn't an issue here - what it does do is demonstrate that we are not modern, and do not do these things well. 

As a direct comparison - The Hundred integrated music as part of their offering (as SL has tried to do), and their acts were Jax Jones, Becky Hill, Jake Bugg, The Lathums, Joel Corry etc. They also had a ruck of modern BBC Introducing bands - many doing well on the gig scene. 

One of these tournaments looks like it is being organised by a modern, forward thinking organisation with a clear vision, the other looks like it was organised by my Aunty Marg.

What's your auntie Marg' doing on July 17th?

On 20/04/2022 at 13:35, Anita Bath said:

Whatever happened to the fat bloke in the white suit who would make us sing ilkley moor bah tat repeatedly until we got it right?

No coincidence they were the finals that attracted the biggest crowd.

he does the gocompare ads these days

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

On 20/04/2022 at 12:58, Futtocks said:

A good point, typically well made, Futtocks.

I realise I am a complete oddity in the context of this forum and this thread, but to me, anything written after about the year 1650 is, of course, 'modern music'; my kids - not to mention Mrs WWD - think there is no hope for me!

3 hours ago, meast said:

While they're at it, could they not get the woman who PA announcer at Headingley for womens finals day to replace that horrible, shrieky bloke who usually does it?

Nope. He's the best in the business - the RFL (and Leeds) are lucky he was in RL first so still prioritises it over other sports.

Archived