Fri 15th-Sun 17th Apr: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

2 hours ago, Derwent said:

Stupid time to have the West Cumbria derby, 7pm on Easter Sunday when there’s no public transport between the 2 towns.

That says more about our appalling the country’s appalling public transport than anything else.

It is a great time for TV and TV rules. If we want public exposure for Cumbrian sides (like everyone keeps saying) then this is what the compromise is.

It is 8 miles away. Not ideal but sharing a cab between 4 won’t cost much more than the bus.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, theswanmcr said:

That says more about our appalling the country’s appalling public transport than anything else.

It is a great time for TV and TV rules. If we want public exposure for Cumbrian sides (like everyone keeps saying) then this is what the compromise is.

It is 8 miles away. Not ideal but sharing a cab between 4 won’t cost much more than the bus.

Yeh and it can wait for us to go home , we won’t be long 

1 hour ago, OriginalMrC said:

Sheffield looking like they are finally going places again. Broncos in a right state and likely will be bottom 2 all season

Thackeray's last season. He'll take some replacing next year - he's been brilliant so far.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Yeh and it can wait for us to go home , we won’t be long 

Moan, moan. This couldn’t be more small town if you tried.

If you want to go to the game you can get there by bus but will have to get a cab back. It’s only 8 miles so won’t cost the Earth. Or don’t go and you watch it live on TV or listen on the radio/online. Lots of options.

God help you if you ever get to SL and have Thursday night games.

2 minutes ago, theswanmcr said:

Moan, moan. This couldn’t be more small town if you tried.

If you want to go to the game you can get there by bus but will have to get a cab back. It’s only 8 miles so won’t cost the Earth. Or don’t go and you watch it live on TV or listen on the radio/online. Lots of options.

God help you if you ever get to SL and have Thursday night games.

Remind me not to sit next to you at parties 

13 hours ago, tim2 said:

Thackeray's last season. He'll take some replacing next year - he's been brilliant so far.

I've always liked him and wondered whether he could have spent a bit more time in Super League. He's been an absolute legend in the Championship over many seasons. 

I think a few of us have mentioned a few rounds back that we would start to see how things were shaking out by the time we headed to round 10 but we are only at round 8 and a win tonight for Haven makes it look like a very clear 3 goes in to 2 situation for the relegation spots.  Maybe Haven could get dragged back in to it but even when you consider Bradford's next run of fixtures where there may only get 1 win from the next 7, you just can't see those bottom 3 teams having more than 3 or 4 wins in them at the moment.

Top half of the table the top 2 is done and the decider will be at the LSV. Taking in to account the fixtures played, York, Batley and Fax look well positioned to occupy the next 3 spots and it will be a big game in a months time when Fax travel to York. The fight for the last spot looks like its going to be very interesting as like most years in the championship you will get a surprise team but this year we have 2 that are picking up enough wins to claim a playoff place in Sheffield and Barrow.

26 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

I think a few of us have mentioned a few rounds back that we would start to see how things were shaking out by the time we headed to round 10 but we are only at round 8 and a win tonight for Haven makes it look like a very clear 3 goes in to 2 situation for the relegation spots.  Maybe Haven could get dragged back in to it but even when you consider Bradford's next run of fixtures where there may only get 1 win from the next 7, you just can't see those bottom 3 teams having more than 3 or 4 wins in them at the moment.

Top half of the table the top 2 is done and the decider will be at the LSV. Taking in to account the fixtures played, York, Batley and Fax look well positioned to occupy the next 3 spots and it will be a big game in a months time when Fax travel to York. The fight for the last spot looks like its going to be very interesting as like most years in the championship you will get a surprise team but this year we have 2 that are picking up enough wins to claim a playoff place in Sheffield and Barrow.

Agree with this the league is starting to form a bit of a pattern.

I do think we have a league where from third down if you're not on your game you can lose so it's going to be very interesting for the playoffs. 

I'll say my bit on Thunder having been there last night. To me O'Carroll summed it up in his post match it wasn't anywhere near what is expected. York thoroughly deserved their win. I hope we can get some bodies back for Friday at Sheffield. 

It's our second year in the Championship and we have to be patient. We know there's a plan in place that includes the pathway etc so patience is required as disappointing as nights like last night are. 

For me I want to see an improvement on last season's league position at the end of the season.

22 minutes ago, Phil W said:

Agree with this the league is starting to form a bit of a pattern.

I do think we have a league where from third down if you're not on your game you can lose so it's going to be very interesting for the playoffs. 

I'll say my bit on Thunder having been there last night. To me O'Carroll summed it up in his post match it wasn't anywhere near what is expected. York thoroughly deserved their win. I hope we can get some bodies back for Friday at Sheffield. 

It's our second year in the Championship and we have to be patient. We know there's a plan in place that includes the pathway etc so patience is required as disappointing as nights like last night are. 

For me I want to see an improvement on last season's league position at the end of the season.

I think a lot of the hype comes from the expectation of full time especially from outsiders. The fact is Newcastle had a very small talent pool available to them to fill their team with full time players and a lot of the time these players will be worse than their part time counterparts but if they can stick it out for a couple of seasons then there is a very good chance that in a few year they could build to be a top Championship team especially if they start developing their own talent. I thought the playoffs would be a reach for them this year but a decent season this year will start to widen that player pool available to them.

2 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Top half of the table the top 2 is done and the decider will be at the LSV.

Meaning Leigh will finish as League Leaders?

Have you had change of heart Oxy, not to long ago you were all for Fev finishing top, what has changed your thought process?

As I have just posted on the Leigh signs........ thread, I believe Fev are still the front runners.

4 hours ago, Archie Gordon said:

I've always liked him and wondered whether he could have spent a bit more time in Super League. He's been an absolute legend in the Championship over many seasons. 

Super player for Fev.

4 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Meaning Leigh will finish as League Leaders?

Have you had change of heart Oxy, not to long ago you were all for Fev finishing top, what has changed your thought process?

As I have just posted on the Leigh signs........ thread, I believe Fev are still the front runners.

I kind of didn't say that, what I meant was the decider for top spot would be at LSV. 😃

I think it is a lot closer now though and having played both teams Leigh certainly looked the stronger of the two. I never thought we were in the game against Leigh at home where as we probably should have beat Fev away. Although Leigh maybe slight favs for mine I still stick by what I said about Fev having the best chance of keeping a place in SL if promoted.

16 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

I kind of didn't say that, what I meant was the decider for top spot would be at LSV. 😃

I think it is a lot closer now though and having played both teams Leigh certainly looked the stronger of the two. I never thought we were in the game against Leigh at home where as we probably should have beat Fev away. Although Leigh maybe slight favs for mine I still stick by what I said about Fev having the best chance of keeping a place in SL if promoted.

There's a lot of twists and turns yet.

Archived