1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Jeez, I'd forgotten about that!! 

I've tried to - the whole tour in fact, not just Blake.

• Like 2

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

I reckon the toughest job, for this thread, is to find a player who can play fullback and prop. Moreso than prop and, for example, stand off (or even scrum half). For one, I'm pretty sure that John Asiata has started several games at prop and several others at stand off.

There are, of course, dozens of players who can play in the backline and the back row.

Well done to anyone who can think of a player who has started at least one game each at fullback and prop.

6 minutes ago, Alan Robertson said:

I reckon the toughest job, for this thread, is to find a player who can play fullback and prop. Moreso than prop and, for example, stand off (or even scrum half). For one, I'm pretty sure that John Asiata has started several games at prop and several others at stand off.

There are, of course, dozens of players who can play in the backline and the back row.

Well done to anyone who can think of a player who has started at least one game each at fullback and prop.

Quite a few have started in the backs and ended up decent forwards, ben Westwood was a centre so possibly played in other backs roles and played all the forward roles including prop. Gareth Ellis is another there will be quite a number. 

3 hours ago, Rugbyleaguesupporter said:

Michael Lawrence at giants has covered everything I'm sure 

Gareth Ellis, Richard whiting may have done too 

Richard Whiting for sure. That guy was Mr Versatile.

23 minutes ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Quite a few have started in the backs and ended up decent forwards, ben Westwood was a centre so possibly played in other backs roles and played all the forward roles including prop. Gareth Ellis is another there will be quite a number. 

Definitely, I know that Ruben Wiki went from 'starting centre' to 'starting prop' too.

back in the 70's and 80's I think Kevin O'Loughlin played in every position for Swinton at some point 

• Like 1

"When you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get." -Homer Simpson

mark.gif

"I couldn't be more chuffed if I were a badger at the start of the mating season" Ian Holloway

1 hour ago, Alan Robertson said:

Harvey Howard started life as a Winger but by the end of his career was a prop. Don't ever recall him playing FB though ??

• Like 2

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

On 18/05/2022 at 14:07, Alan Robertson said:

I think Elliott Whitehead could do (at least) a solid job at 3, 4, 6, 8-13.

Peak Inglis, 1-7 with ease and big enough for any pack position (albeit too tall for 9).

Luke Lewis, just about anywhere. I don't think you'd play him at 1, 7 or 9 but the point stands.

Sonny Bill, similar positional options to Luke Lewis (in an emergency).

Farrell and Sculthorpe - plenty of options too.

Luke Lewis actually played 21 games at halfback he wasn't bad either. He only missed out on fullback which he could have easily played in his younger days and prop which he could have played in his older days and hooker which is about the only position he would miss out on.

Others John Plath from Brisbane they basically played him everywhere. 

Tyrone Peachey could probably play everywhere. 

Brad Mackay was another, Jeff Hardy.

Bryce Cartwright could probably play everywhere. 

Matt Burton could probably play everywhere but Prop.

Jake Granville played pretty much everywhere now. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, anjado said:

Luke Lewis actually played 21 games at halfback he wasn't bad either. He only missed out on fullback which he could have easily played in his younger days and prop which he could have played in his older days and hooker which is about the only position he would miss out on.

Others John Plath from Brisbane they basically played him everywhere. 

Tyrone Peachey could probably play everywhere. 

Brad Mackay was another, Jeff Hardy.

Bryce Cartwright could probably play everywhere. 

Matt Burton could probably play everywhere but Prop.

Jake Granville played pretty much everywhere now. 

There you go. Off the top of my head, I knew that Lewis was very versatile. Once I read your post, I did some actual research. Yeah, that's true versatility as he was such a high-level player in so many positions. Rep honours in 4 different positions. MoM awards in 5 different positions.

Edited by Alan Robertson
Extra info

On 18/05/2022 at 09:14, whatmichaelsays said:

Anyone who played in David Waite's Great Britain team. 

In every position a loose forward, except at loose forward. 

This doesn't make him unique in England and GB coaches quite the opposite.

I struglle to remember where any of them didn't decide to play someone in a position they hadn't been in all season or for several seasons in some cases.

Plenty of good examples of people able to play numerous positions on here but suggesting some backs could play prop is the kind of thinking that the RFL use to fine Salford.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

I can't help thinking memory playing tricks might be the key here.

There have been plenty of players who've played in numerous positions and had the skills to cope in all of them but very few were the master of every one.

And I can't help thinking that coming up with players who never looked like they fitted the position they were happiest playing might be a better thread.

TOOHS, TOOHS! O H S 🎶

Edited by Oxford

On 19/05/2022 at 11:53, Scubby said:

Richard Whiting for sure. That guy was Mr Versatile.

Richard Whiting definitely played every position at some point in his Hull career, he may have even started a game in every position. He played them all to a very good standard too. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Waynebennettswinger said:

Phil Veivers definitely played every position at St Helens pre- Super League.

Did he? Admittedly I was young(ish), but I remember him as a fullback and not so much a utility. Definitely not a forward. 

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

Did he? Admittedly I was young(ish), but I remember him as a fullback and not so much a utility. Definitely not a forward. 

Hard to find the stats on this but if you Google you’ll find mention of him on the Saints heritage site at Full Back, Centre and Loose Forward. Another article has him filling in at 9 under Eric Hughes. I remember (maybe incorrectly) an interview on Radio Merseyside where they said to him something like ‘you have played every position at Saints bar prop..’ and Veivers interrupted to say he filled in there when there was an injury. Absolutely a full back, without doubt a back but did play all over the park. Wonderful servant. 

Edited by Waynebennettswinger
  • Like 1

On 19/05/2022 at 11:49, Number 16 said:

I've played every position from 1 to 13. 

But not very well...

🧐

That's funny I played every position bu 8 and 10 and all of them brilliantly!

TOOHS, TOOHS ....O H S 🎶

On 22/05/2022 at 22:53, Waynebennettswinger said:

you’ll find mention of him on the Saints heritage site at Full Back, Centre and Loose Forward. Another article has him filling in at 9

These are certainly the position I rmember him playing.

TOOHS, TOOHS ....O H S 🎶