Bill Ashurst RIP

Really sad news about a terrific player who starred for both  Wigan and Wakefield over here. having been born just outside Wigan. He also starred for Penrith over in Oz.

I remember him as a great back rower for Wakey in the late 70's and early 80's.

He had recently come out of hospital having been ill for a while I understand.

Condolences to his family and all who knew him.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

One of the greatest players of his time and still able to turn it on at the latter end of his career at Wakefield.  Always remember him getting sent off during a televised Wigan v Bradford game (if I remember rightly) after flattening anyone who dare come within arms length.  Not long after that incident we signed him for a club record of £18k.  Happy days but sad time now.  RIP.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Sad news, one of the best I have seen play the game. A real character (in the nicest way).

Had us in stitches at his book launch.

R.I.P. Bill, condolences to all his family and friends.

• Like 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

7 hours ago, Forever Trinity said:

Top fella he lived in Crofton when he played for Wakey, had a few beers with him in the #### and Crown he was a real character RIP Bill great to watch you at BV.

He did mention in his book that Wakefield provided him with a house on C o c k Lane in Crofton. 

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

39 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

Fantastic player and way ahead of his time with his kicking game. Pity the 40/20 came muched later, that rule would have been tailor made for Bill.

RIP 

He actually said if it was around when he played the opposition would never get out of their own half.

Mate watched him training lads at Rose Bridge on a muddy pitch wearing wellies and kicking 40/20s for fun. He was in his sixties.

• Like 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 hour ago, Padge said:

He actually said if it was around when he played the opposition would never get out of their own half.

Mate watched him training lads at Rose Bridge on a muddy pitch wearing wellies and kicking 40/20s for fun. He was in his sixties.

I remember him coaching at Rose Bridge it was the time "he found god" for such a larger than life character who didn't mind breaking many rules, it was quite amusing to hear him shouting from the touchlines at his charges with nothing stronger than "Oh fippin heck" or "Good Grief"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1