Sat 18 Jun: England v Combined Nations All Stars KO 17:45 (Sky)

Who will win?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• England by 13 points or more
    • England by 7 to 12 points
    • England by 1 to 6 points
    • Combined Nations All Stars by 1 to 6 points
    • Combined Nations All Stars by 7 to 12 points
    • Combined Nations All Stars by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/06/22 at 17:15

Bateman at 13 is a strange selection, IMO. He's an edge forward.

I actually really like the England backline. Watkins is a genuine RC and Wardle is an out-and-out LC. Looking forward to seeing how Welsby and Williams combine. I think that on paper it looks a run-heavy pair, who will be off-the-cuff and ad-lib. Could be fun. Paul McShane coming on could offer game control.

I think England will win this by a couple of scores.

26-16

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

I actually really like the England backline. Watkins is a genuine RC and Wardle is an out-and-out LC. Looking forward to seeing how Welsby and Williams combine. I think that on paper it looks a run-heavy pair, who will be off-the-cuff and ad-lib. Could be fun. Paul McShane coming on could offer game control.

26-16

26-16 is my prediction too

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

26-16

I agree about Bateman.  In fact, when injuries forced Catalan to play McMeeken in the middle he looked more effective than Bateman due to his size.

Also agree the backline looks decent.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, StandOffHalf said:

26-16

Wardle has played LC, RC and latterly, Left wing this season.

He's also played stand off earlier in his career, not an out and out left centre, although it is probably his best position.

37 minutes ago, JohnM said:

You care enough to tell us, though.

Indeed. It may be an unreasonable ask, but it'd be nice if those not interested just left it alone, did something else and left it to those who are interested. 

29 minutes ago, JohnM said:

If this were a rugby union fixture, fans,  school teams and amateur cubs would be all over it and would treat it as a festival 

A couple of my neices are looking forward to it, they are part of a dance even at half time of the games, they pay for the privilege and get tickets for their parents. Quite a few of my family are now going who normally wouldn't. 

I'm looking forward to it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, meast said:

Wardle has played LC, RC and latterly, Left wing this season.

He's also played stand off earlier in his career, not an out and out left centre, although it is probably his best position.

His outside skip to the left is a great feature. He is BY FAR a better left centre.

I realise that he has played elsewhere, but I just think there is a gulf in effectiveness. I think he can genuinely be world class at left centre.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I agree about Bateman.  In fact, when injuries forced Catalan to play McMeeken in the middle he looked more effective than Bateman due to his size.

Also agree the backline looks decent.

I'd have gone with McMeeken as a starting prop or prop interchange. I was really impressed with him there for Catalans.

Interesting selections from Wane. One or two things I would have changed, but I'm interested in seeing how his team goes.

Nicely bustling round the ground even half an hour ago. French Wheelchair Team hanging around. Wife noted that a few of the French lads were handsome. We moved on. 

I love international RL.*

*Don't come back going on about whether this is a real international or not. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Agbrigg said:

As far as England are concerned  its nice to see some of the young blood getting a run out. But i just cant understand the likes of Hall,Watkins and Micky M. They are the past,we need to look to the future.

I suppose the immediate future is this winter, the World Cup. I can understand Watkins as we struggle with centres, but I'd have picked Ashton instead of Hall as pace is important and we maybe lack it in the backs. I also think we have better options at 9. But Wane does tend to have favourites and like players he's worked with, he's the coach and it's his prerogative, we'll see what he can do with his team. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

A couple of my neices are looking forward to it, they are part of a dance even at half time of the games, they pay for the privilege and get tickets for their parents. Quite a few of my family are now going who normally wouldn't. 

I'm looking forward to it. 

👍👍👍

I’m interested to watch it . We hardly ever see internationals so that’s one thing , and it’s a World Cup year . We’ve got a new coach and hopefully some players who wanna put a hand up for later in the year . It’s not perfect but right now it’s what  we’ve got in prep for the WC

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

I suppose the immediate future is this winter, the World Cup. I can understand Watkins as we struggle with centres

Newman is fit again I believe. This would be an ideal opportunity to blood him at centre. If we are to have any chance at all we need fresh blood, not a bunch of old players past their best who have lost to the Aussies many times before. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JohnM said:

If this were a rugby union fixture, fans,  school teams and amateur cubs would be all over it and would treat it as a festival 

It’s competing with the Middlewich Folk and Boat Festival further south in Cheshire. That’s where I am this weekend, and I have to say it’s been more fun than Super League 2022 for Warrington fans ☹️

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

3 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

His outside skip to the left is a great feature. He is BY FAR a better left centre.

I realise that he has played elsewhere, but I just think there is a gulf in effectiveness. I think he can genuinely be world class at left centre.

I remember when he first broke into the first team fold, us who had been watching him in the academy were quite amused when people told us he wasn't big or strong enough to play centre, then we said he doesn't need power when he's got the skills that Wardle has.

Edited by meast
  • Like 2