Hull KR sack Tony Smith

51 minutes ago, Dave T said:

The challenge around all that (and your points certainly sound valid) is that Smith has never behaved this way before. Maybe the questions should be asked about why he felt the need to take such drastic action. 

Smith has always been a classy individual and has a lot of integrity, why was he driven to deliver a public FU. 

It was entirely consistent with how he’s behaved for a long time at Rovers. Constant references to “my team”, “my players”, and other revealing circle-the-wagons language. Hindsight is 20:20, but looking back I think it’s interesting to see how much he takes ongoing credit for the performance of clubs he used to manage. One of the world’s subtle egotists.

Hull KR’s back-office culture is one of the most mature and supportive in the sport, it wasn’t them it was him. 

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

5 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

I can't help feeling that you are (unusually) emotionally invested in this.

Maybe you know more than you are willing to divulge (or not) that's your business.

I tend to agree with some of the other comments above, about his previous conduct at other clubs.

I believe him to be an honest man and a man of integrity, whose actions tend to mirror his words.

You say ''It doesn't matter which detail he ..... wasn't happy with......'' but your use of the word detail, presumes or implies that you believe, his dispute was a relatively minor matter but it could be, couldn't it, that he was a victim of extreme provocation? The nature and content of which, prompted him to act unusually.

Anyway, since you admonished me for ''guessing about imaginary events'' I want to make it clear, that I did not guess about anything, I'm merely enquiring as to what happened.

Also, I want to make it clear that unlike you, I'm unwilling to condemn the man, without listening to both sides of the story. It's fairly clear (to me) that some unusual provocation must have taken place, and until we know what it entailed, (hear the case for the defence) I'm going to suspend my judgement of Tony Smith. Whether you do or not, is a matter for your own conscience.

My conscience? You do love a drama don’t you 😂😂😂

He did what he did, other clubs’ fans can put their hands in front of their eyes, fingers in ears and go “la la la” as much as they like about events…. I’m just glad he’s gone 👍🏼

• Haha 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

58 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Smith is my favourite RL coach ever, I think he's a superb coach and a top man from what I have seen of him. 

I would say something very similar. You don’t hang around in SL with four different clubs if you’ve not got something about you.

Interesting that the only negative stuff we’ve read on here is after the sh*t hit the fan at Hull KR and all of a sudden he’s an egotistical character who people struggle to get on with.

In the immediate aftermath of the 2016 RL Cup Final, the BBC grabbed him for an interview and after hearing it Brian Noble said “That’s a really classy interview from a really classy bloke”.

I think some of the bitterness on here is clouding people’s judgements.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1
                                                                     Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

52 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

My conscience? You do love a drama don’t you 😂😂😂

He did what he did, other clubs’ fans can put their hands in front of their eyes, fingers in ears and go “la la la” as much as they like about events…. I’m just glad he’s gone 👍🏼

Yes that's quite clear.

I'm not another club's fan.

I regard myself as neutral.

Just not prepared to judge a man, on half the evidence. 

I’m not a fan of Smith’s. I often find he comes across quite rude when interviewed on Sky, often unnecessarily, even after Angela Powers left. I appreciate its pretty immediate after a game and emotion will be high but it never seemed to matter about the result but that’s not really a reason not to employ him. 

Way back in 2001 we referred to him as ' smug Tony ' given the way he behaved as the Giants coach in the 2nd tier do I like him as a person ? , Nope , has he a bigger ego than a small planet ? , Yes , is he a very good RL coach ? , Undoubtedly , do I believe him to be a man of principle ? , Yes 

8 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

If he’s settled in the area it would be a shame for him to up roots and leave…

I thought he lived in Holmfirth, just outside Huddersfield.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

2 hours ago, redjonn said:

I thought after Warrington he decided to take a break and partially I thought he said to do with the direction of RL. 

Yes, and he said that he wouldn't necessarily stay in the code.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

7 minutes ago, Blind side johnny said:

I thought he lived in Holmfirth, just outside Huddersfield.

You are clearly correct.

It would seem Paul Lakin and two other members of the Hull KR board visited Tony at his home to inform him of their decision. Tony was fine with it but his wife was a little upset at how he'd been treated.

A local journalist managed to capture the Hull KR directors at the time of them leaving the meeting...

Cast bust-ups, fat suits and dangerous stunts ... behind the scenes of  unlikely BBC hit Last of the Summer Wine - Mirror Online

• Haha 7

18 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

has he a bigger ego than a small planet ? , Yes 

Do you believe that planets have egos?

• Haha 1

Can't believe they're still doing repeats of Dallas, especially on here.

• Haha 10

1 hour ago, Old Frightful said:

You're on form tonight! LOL. 

2 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Oh, hats off!

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Big fan of Tony Smith, but having annouced he is leaving earlier on, his departure was inevitable. Best for both parties.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

11 hours ago, Jughead said:

I’m not a fan of Smith’s. I often find he comes across quite rude when interviewed on Sky, often unnecessarily, even after Angela Powers left. I appreciate its pretty immediate after a game and emotion will be high but it never seemed to matter about the result but that’s not really a reason not to employ him. 

11 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Way back in 2001 we referred to him as ' smug Tony ' given the way he behaved as the Giants coach in the 2nd tier do I like him as a person ? , Nope , has he a bigger ego than a small planet ? , Yes , is he a very good RL coach ? , Undoubtedly , do I believe him to be a man of principle ? , Yes 

I've seen this levelled at him relativeky often, and tbh I think some of this is down to his awkward style. I've met him a few times, and even at things like fans' forums where he is relaxed his talking style is still awkward. 

He has a weird twitch and shrug, which maybe makes him appear arrogant or disinterested, but I dont think anything could be further from the truth. 

• Like 1

Unfortunately inevitable after his announcement (which seemed like a toys and pram incident). It's a real shame, as prior to that I would have loved to have him commit to a longer stay, to complete the work he started.

I believe he leaves the club in a better position than he found it and has produced some really memorable moments on the way!