Sat 9th Jul: SL-MW: Wakefield Trinity v Toulouse Olympique KO 14:30 (Sky)

Who will win?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wakefield Trinity
    • Toulouse Olympique

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/07/22 at 14:00

42 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

A few years ago there was meltdown of a different kind on these pages when Salford played HKR in the MPG, it was all about what will happen to the player's and employees of the losing team, they could have families dependent on their earnings and have little future prospects.

Now don't get me wrong, I would not change P&R for the boring closed shop situation, but I get the feeling that if Wakey go down there will not be to much concern for those connected to the club by many on these pages, but if it happens to be Toulouse who suffer the jeopardy then that will gather great sympathy from quite a few of our esteemed subscribers.

That's a bit harsh Harry.

I would like to see Toulouse stay up but I have no great desire to see Wakefield (or anyone) go down but that is the nature of the sport... particularly, as you say and prefer to see, one with the jeopardy of P&R.

And absolutely none of this is personal to the players or staff.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

That's a bit harsh Harry.

I would like to see Toulouse stay up but I have no great desire to see Wakefield (or anyone) go down but that is the nature of the sport... particularly, as you say and prefer to see, one with the jeopardy of P&R.

And absolutely none of this is personal to the players or staff.

I was pointing out the feeling to relegation in the MPG and the consensus of many on this site which you must remember Dunny, but I do get the feeling there will be a different opinion registered for whoever suffers jeopardy between Wakey and Toulouse, not so much if it is the former but a massive reaction if it is the latter.

Just my opinion.

4 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I was pointing out the feeling to relegation in the MPG and the consensus of many on this site which you must remember Dunny, but I do get the feeling there will be a different opinion registered for whoever suffers jeopardy between Wakey and Toulouse, not so much if it is the former but a massive reaction if it is the latter.

Just my opinion.

It's a projection where you create other people's opinions so you can valiantly argue against them.

In my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

18 hours ago, Wollo Wollo Wayoo said:

This game will be decided during that 10 minute spell at the start of the 2nd half I reckon.

15 hours ago, meast said:

It certainly was 🙂

I think the moment that killed any hope that we would survive that spell was at the end of T.O. 1st set (includes the 6 again) when they dropped the ball on the last and Corey Hall went for a pick up and break away rather than just dropping on it and taking a steady six.   

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Just my opinion.

Again though, you are suggesting that this site will have a different reaction to seeing Toulouse stay up or go down than Wakey.  That may be true but it is not because anyone would have less empathy with the Wakefield players or staff... just that as fans, we are allowed to favour one side over another.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

It's a projection where you create other people's opinions so you can valiantly argue against them.

In my opinion.

So now I'm manipulative am I?

Anyway I did look back to present you with the link to Radio Manchester re Dr Koukash's interview about joining Leigh, but alas albeit the link was there it was no longer available on the Radio M's site, but you are right about one thing you do have a bad memory you took part in the discussions on the topic, I should get that checked out if I was you!

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

So now I'm manipulative am I?

Anyway I did look back to present you with the link to Radio Manchester re Dr Koukash's interview about joining Leigh, but alas albeit the link was there it was no longer available on the Radio M's site, but you are right about one thing you do have a bad memory you took part in the discussions on the topic, I should get that checked out if I was you!

I do genuinely forget things. It's why when I eventually go loopy no one will really notice.

• Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Just my opinion.

The exact same thing might happen if Leigh or Featherstone fail to get promoted. It's fun for everyone for 80 minutes and then real lives get affected in working class areas in a game that has no money. That is partly why our game in on its knees commercially. 

Wakefield will be in awful strife if they go down and could quickly end up in freefall. 

Edited by Scubby

14 minutes ago, Scubby said:

The exact same thing might happen if Leigh or Featherstone fail to get promoted. It's fun for everyone for 80 minutes and then real lives get affected in working class areas in a game that has no money. That is partly why our game in on its knees commercially. 

Wakefield will be in awful strife if they go down and could quickly end up in freefall. 

Is there any clubs that aren't in working class area's Scubby, or at least the vast majority of supporter's of this game aren't themselves working class?

Do agree with your last paragraph though.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Just my opinion.

The difference with the £m game was clubs and players wouldn’t know until that very last game of the season. Plus you are dragging clubs in who didn’t finish bottom of the table. Which weirdly you were happy with them but are dead against if someone suggests French/promoted clubs get a couple of years grace from relegation. 

36 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Wakefield are still the favourites to stay up by a long chalk. Three wins from 9 will get them safe IMO. 

The max I can see Toulouse getting is 14 points and probably a better points diff than Trinity.

Yes I agree, I would still make Wakey favourites to stay up.

16 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

The difference with the £m game was clubs and players wouldn’t know until that very last game of the season. Plus you are dragging clubs in who didn’t finish bottom of the table. Which weirdly you were happy with them but are dead against if someone suggests French/promoted clubs get a couple of years grace from relegation. 

Yes I can see your point Bob in it being a one off game, but still the same respect applies that one team is going to be relegated.

As for giving one years grace from relegation to any team you are correct I wouldn't do it, not only can it skew the competition but I do not think it right that there is a possibility of the 'wrong' team being relegated, that is one that could finish above in the League table over the protected team.

Supposing Toulouse are not relegated this term, and this "protection" was brought in for next year and Toulouse finish 11th above the promoted team, I can just imagine the outcry on these pages if they were to be relegated - when they shouldn't be.

What's all this "win 4 games from 9" etc?

Toulouse need to win one more game than Wakey, points difference will do the rest. 

Personally, I think TO are getting better each week, and will get a couple of wins at least from their back 9. It's a dogfight for sure now, but one Wakey are habitually used to which may tell in the end, I hope not though 🤷‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

It would be ironic if Wakefield finally get their ground done then  end up in the Championship.

It would be me funny than ironic 

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

9 hours ago, frank said:

Cruising? It wasn't what Wakefield were doing it was the the amount of  simple errors Toulouse made and yes they made them pay. Once Toulouse got there act together it was over, their defence improved and they scored some great tries.

Give over. Didn’t Toulouse score 4/5 while trinity were down to 12. That tells the whole story despite what you may say.

Edited by Trojan Horse

3 hours ago, Ant said:

Toulouse need to win one more game than Wakey, points difference will do the rest. 

Personally, I think TO are getting better each week, and will get a couple of wins at least from their back 9. It's a dogfight for sure now, but one Wakey are habitually used to which may tell in the end, I hope not though 🤷‍♂️

The points difference is only 40, you cant really bank on Toulouse still having a better points difference in 9 games time. Up until the last couple of games Wakefield would have had the better points difference.

Edited by Damien

19 hours ago, Ant said:

Agreed 5/9 of Wakefields last 9 are against the top 4 while 7/9 are against the top 6 - Two games against KR will be crucial.

Toulouse have 3/9 against top 4, 5/9 against top 6 and the same amount of games against the bottom 4 (KR, Wire).

No guarantee of either team getting any wins from the last 9 but the amount of top teams Wakey has in hand is highly unlikely to be good for their F/A moving forward.