The Transfer Rumour Mill Thread

7 minutes ago, dboy said:

No, they simply point out the impending quandary.

It's not only the number of players, it's the overall effect of having to meet salary cap regulations next year, as well.

Still, I'm sure Derek Beaumont knows exactly what he's doing.

What impending quandary? They sign who they think will fit into the squad next season subject to non fed and other rules

They have to meet the same salary cap requirements this season

Stop digging when you don’t know what you are on about

Is this a transfer thread or Leigh are the New Bradford ?

If it's the former I see Brad Dwyer chose Hull rather than Salford and looking at the weekends results I can see why.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Hope this helps

Leigh have 1 overseas spot left for 2023 should we make SL

8 Fed trained from the squad are signed already

The 3 Wire seem nailed on ie Mulhern Davis and Hughes

I wouldn’t be shocked to see McDonald to Leeds and Leutele to Leigh

Bevan French had been offered a huge deal to be a Marquee player, think he will be back in NRL though

Hood may be on his way back again

There are strong rumours of two new owners joining Derek, all are seriously rich and are friends who have been around the club years.

Leigh are signing a SL squad now on a full cap plus marquee spend, if we don’t make it some may have clauses but most won’t 

great times to be a Leyther

• Like 2

12 hours ago, dboy said:

If Leigh gain promotion, they will have to release a number of OS players to meet the SL overseas players rules. They won't be in a position to demand anything.

If other clubs don't players off their hands, they are in deep doo-doo.

As far as I'm aware, the number of overseas players contracted for next season is less than the 7 you can have in SL.

So, there's no necessity to offload contracted players if Leigh are promoted. 

Though, it will be a weaker team in SL than currently in the Championship

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Hope this helps

Leigh have 1 overseas spot left for 2023 should we make SL

8 Fed trained from the squad are signed already

The 3 Wire seem nailed on ie Mulhern Davis and Hughes

I wouldn’t be shocked to see McDonald to Leeds and Leutele to Leigh

Bevan French had been offered a huge deal to be a Marquee player, think he will be back in NRL though

Hood may be on his way back again

There are strong rumours of two new owners joining Derek, all are seriously rich and are friends who have been around the club years.

Leigh are signing a SL squad now on a full cap plus marquee spend, if we don’t make it some may have clauses but most won’t 

great times to be a Leyther

Very helpful.

The Hood move is a new one - I'd be amazed if Wakey want to let him go. Didn't he state that being closer to home was a big thing for him?

Still, money talks.

EDIT  "He said: “I’m buzzing, to be honest. I live in Wakefield now, so it is nice to be closer to home."

Edited by dboy

18 minutes ago, phiggins said:

As far as I'm aware, the number of overseas players contracted for next season is less than the 7 you can have in SL.

I don't think we'll be weaker next year. Of all the overseas players being moved on, I think only Kai O'Donnell and maybe Sam Stone would be missed. Inu will be 36 next year and not up to the pace of SL, Ioane/Nakubuwai/Hitchcox have done decent enough jobs when needed but would be comfortably below average in SL. Aekins is a solid but unspectacular fullback. None of them are irreplaceable.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, phiggins said:

Depends what comes in that we have agreed not to disclose. Some young forwards at Wigan who they are struggling to keep and it would be nice to see Hill back were it all started as a 16yo, but we must be in SL to get them and that’s not a done deal

I expect our last non Fed to be a real wow!! btw if it’s not French

33 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

I don't think we'll be weaker next year. Of all the overseas players being moved on, I think only Kai O'Donnell and maybe Sam Stone would be missed. Inu will be 36 next year and not up to the pace of SL, Ioane/Nakubuwai/Hitchcox have done decent enough jobs when needed but would be comfortably below average in SL. Aekins is a solid but unspectacular fullback. None of them are irreplaceable.

I think Stone and O'Donnell will be missed. Of the names that I've seen mentioned, I'm not convinced that they offer an improvement. Not sure if Sidlow is signed up to stay either, and our game is based on power up front.

And yes, Inu will be 36, and probably won't be up to SL next year. But his sheer physicality fits in perfectly with how Lam wants them to play this season. I don't think Charnley offers the same. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

Leigh currently have 1 available quota spot for next year, with Ferguson, MacDonald, Asiata, Lam, Amone and Ipape under contract for at least next season. Any others are all one deals expiring at the end of this year so Leigh don't need to rely on any other clubs whatsoever. They aren't in any sort of 'doo-doo' whatsoever and the continued narrative that Leigh are going to be screwed because of the quota next year is pretty funny to me considering we have more(and better quality) players signed for next year than we've ever had going into a (potential) SL year. This time in 2020 we had 0 players contracted for the following year and didn't even know which division we'd be playing.

Whilst this is a thread of rumours, in terms of the players that will be coming in to replace the ones we aren't resigning.. Rob Mulhern, Matt Davis and Jack Hughes are rumoured to be done deals from Wire, whilst we are speaking to Gareth O'Brien and Tom Briscoe. I'm sure there are probably more(which Adrian Lam has alluded to a few times in interviews) but I doubt any will be announced til the conclusion of their respective clubs seasons.

Sounds like you'll be in a position to have another crack at that top 4 spot that a number of Leythers claimed you were good enough for last time you came up.😁👍

2 hours ago, dboy said:

No it was the arrogant dismissive and rude "people like you" comment, along with "oh yes, you make it up" nonsense.

There have been a few articles, around the time you signed Lam, highlighting the fact you need to drop some overseas players next year.

Be less arrogant and rude and people will like you more.

OK sorry if I offended you, but your opening post was rather condescending in that you said 

"They won't be in a position to demand anything. If other clubs don't take players off their hands, they are in deep doo-doo"

The thing is unless the club has offered contracts to any of it's players this mid season and had them accepted, they are free agents to go where they please and Leigh have no hold or call on them, yes you are correct in that they can only have 7 overseas player's, there are 6 already signed - inc Nene Macdonald so if anyone one wants him they will have to cough up - so one space left to fill.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Completely lost me Oxy.

Really which bit?

Leigh taking the thread off track, which is the Bulls job, or Dywer choosing the wrong team to join?

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

The bit I highlighted in bold!

So you did 'arry I was so surprised someone wanted to engage with me I dropped my sandwich pickle and didn't notice.

I was talking about on this here forum 'arry the Bulls used to be the interminable debates that went off track and got nowhere, and now it appears to be Leigh.

It's going to be interesting to see what the promotees from L1 do. From what I've seen I reckon Keighley (who are effectively up already) only need a couple of big forwards to give a bit of extra heft in the pack. The second club will be a bit different - I think that as far as the Crusaders are concerned we'd pretty well need to completely rebuild the side to have a chance of staying up and I reckon the other contenders are in much the same state. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

Whilst this is a thread of rumours, in terms of the players that will be coming in to replace the ones we aren't resigning.. Rob Mulhern, Matt Davis and Jack Hughes are rumoured to be done deals from Wire, whilst we are speaking to Gareth O'Brien and Tom Briscoe. I'm sure there are probably more(which Adrian Lam has alluded to a few times in interviews) but I doubt any will be announced til the conclusion of their respective clubs seasons.

There are a few average names in there, to be honest

I suspect Leigh are in the position where they are more or less fixed up with overseas signings, and now need to sign a LOT of English players to fill out the squad.

Are pickings slim with English players because I'm not sure Briscoe and Hughes are the answer for a serious tilt at Super League.

Still, Leigh are WAY ahead of where they were the last twice they went into Super League, so fair play to Beaumont for learning the lessons.

• Like 1

Why do the leigh lot bite and get so defensive.  I would have thought you would all be in a good mood winning every week but all i see is anger and bitterness. 

God help us all this time next year when your bottom of the league about  to be relegated again you will be unbearable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

There are a few average names in there, to be honest

I suspect Leigh are in the position where they are more or less fixed up with overseas signings, and now need to sign a LOT of English players to fill out the squad.

Are pickings slim with English players because I'm not sure Briscoe and Hughes are the answer for a serious tilt at Super League.

Still, Leigh are WAY ahead of where they were the last twice they went into Super League, so fair play to Beaumont for learning the lessons.

I am with you Paul on "A Few average names" and the two you highlight Briscoe and Hughes would be nowhere near my choice.

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Good question, not as I know of but considering he has brought his lad over for next season and he has laid down what and who he wants for next season, I would wager he is staying.

Thanks. I couldn’t recall any announcement that he was staying although I would be surprised if he left if you get promotion.