Sun 21 Aug: The Betfred Championship Match Thread

15 minutes ago, Fevrover said:

Harry we've had some right batterings over the years against Bradford and especially Widnes so like many older supporters enjoyed battering them. Some supporters didn't enjoy it against Widnes calling it boring BUT then moaned at Widnes when we scraped home 20-16, work that one out lol.

Widnes in recent years have terrified us , we had the hoodoo on them for about 4 years giving them some right batterings , then Danny Craven turned up and played like Cooper Cronk against us ever since , I recall watching their last middle 8 game in the pub against at Catalans back in 2017 , a great cheer went up as the Chemics won , they'd beat us easily 3 times despite finishing below us , we really fancied turning over the French as we'd narrowly lost and then beat them in Perpignan in the '8' s , unfortunately we froze on the day 

Anyway enjoy your day in Barrow 

Come on the Raiders 😉

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

unfortunately we froze on the day 

I put down to being under the influence.................... of Keiron Cunningham,

We could have scored 3 tries before Catalan had a sniff in if McNally had been chosen at FB, instead of Cunninghans choice of Hampshire who completely disrupted our attacking options, yes I know Jukes was the coach but he was secondary to KC once he arrived.

• Thanks 1

If Barrow can keep the score reasonably close in the first half we will certainly have a chance. Although there was a wide margin in the scores in the previous home game the older Fev forwards were really gassed in the second half. It's actually still warm in Barra so Dads army are in for a close one.

1 minute ago, bar red said:

If Barrow can keep the score reasonably close in the first half we will certainly have a chance. Although there was a wide margin in the scores in the previous home game the older Fev forwards were really gassed in the second half. It's actually still warm in Barra so Dads army are in for a close one.

Yep a good kick 'n chase game is required have the owd un's keep turning round running back half the length of the pitch, but I am sure Mr Crarey will have recognised this and Mr Sammutt will deliver.

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

I put down to being under the influence.................... of Keiron Cunningham,

We could have scored 3 tries before Catalan had a sniff in if McNally had been chosen at FB, instead of Cunninghans choice of Hampshire who completely disrupted our attacking options, yes I know Jukes was the coach but he was secondary to KC once he arrived.

Agree completely Harry , I thought Hampshire had done well for us in SL , his versatility was vital in an injury blighted season , but he'd fallen out over that very aspect , Gregg was as you say was an integral part of our attack , and we just didn't get going , oh how different things could have been , Catalans taking a couple of our players the following year and taking the CC to France 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Agree completely Harry , I thought Hampshire had done well for us in SL , his versatility was vital in an injury blighted season , but he'd fallen out over that very aspect , Gregg was as you say was an integral part of our attack , and we just didn't get going , oh how different things could have been , Catalans taking a couple of our players the following year and taking the CC to France 

Nothing against Aekins but I reckon if Gregg or even Ryan had been at No 1 this year with their skills of linking up in the attack and ball delivery even far more 4 pointers would have been registered.

Edited by Harry Stottle

47 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Widnes in recent years have terrified us , we had the hoodoo on them for about 4 years giving them some right batterings , then Danny Craven turned up and played like Cooper Cronk against us ever since , I recall watching their last middle 8 game in the pub against at Catalans back in 2017 , a great cheer went up as the Chemics won , they'd beat us easily 3 times despite finishing below us , we really fancied turning over the French as we'd narrowly lost and then beat them in Perpignan in the '8' s , unfortunately we froze on the day 

Anyway enjoy your day in Barrow 

Come on the Raiders 😉

Sport, as we know, is cyclical. So I look forward to a future Widnes team, who will batter Fev and terrify Barrow!😁

Not saying how far in the future though!😁

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

This is what I was worried about, I thought York may save themselves for next week v Sheffield, big score margins do not appeal to me one bit not got a ticket yet as I thought this was going to happen may not bother now.

I do hope we manage to get promotion, I would sooner lose in competitive games than walk games far to easily.

York have only got 17 harry not a question of saving them , as a loyal fan get yourself there😀😀😀

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Nothing against Aekins but I reckon if Gregg or even Ryan had been at No 1 this year with their skills of linking up in the attack and ball delivery even far more 4 pointers would have been registered.

It's always the case Harry , everybody is searching for the perfect player in every position , they don't exist , Turley had it , Ryan and Gregg have had it , " Run it back in " , " can't tackle " , " rubbish defence " , while scoring or setting up literally hundreds of trys at the other end , it's the same with wingers , the reason a try is scored out wide is usually because of numbering mistakes further inside , which again can come down to the defensive ' skill ' of your full back , something Gregg was very good at IMO 

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

It's always the case Harry , everybody is searching for the perfect player in every position , they don't exist , Turley had it , Ryan and Gregg have had it , " Run it back in " , " can't tackle " , " rubbish defence " , while scoring or setting up literally hundreds of trys at the other end , it's the same with wingers , the reason a try is scored out wide is usually because of numbering mistakes further inside , which again can come down to the defensive ' skill ' of your full back , something Gregg was very good at IMO 

There was no fitter fullback than Gregg McNally, I think he’s probably the best pass choice selector with an overlap I’ve seen. Had a nak of always picking the right pass and made it look easy.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, doc said:

Sport, as we know, is cyclical. So I look forward to a future Widnes team, who will batter Fev and terrify Barrow!😁

Not saying how far in the future though!😁

Hopefully donkeys year lol  had more then enough defeats against Widnes. Although in fairness they had some terrific players.

• Like 1

A back on the bench again for Leigh today. Have mentioned a few times that the lack of depth in the forwards is a worry, and with McDonnell getting a game at Wigan, no sign of Green, Nakuwabei or Jones featuring and we seemingly do not have enough forwards to fill a starting 13 and a bench.

Any more injuries could seriously undermine how Lam wants us to play. Would’ve thought there’d be a bit more depth, given the budget. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I maybe totally out of order here Stirlin, but I reckon if the fixtures were reversed and you were playing Sheffield today your team would have a different look to it.

Well as you know Harry we can't play Ata and we picked up a few injuries last week , small squad and even one of our loans is injured , honestly , this is all we have.

Edited by Stirlin
  • Like 1

Widnes 12 Sheffield Eagles 10 HT.  Only one penalty in the first 30 minutes, but it got a bit feisty towards the end of the half.  Welham in the sin bin currently for Eagles.

Fev 26-24 up with 20 to go. How we are competing with so many out is such a testament to our teams character. Our bench started with 2 second rowers, a hooker and a winger yet we are still in it. 

• Like 1

Widnes 18 Sheffield 30 FT

Not the best of games, you can see why both teams are mid-table in the championship, with pretty much all of the tries coming off the back of penalties or errors.

• Like 1