Giants v Salford GF

51 minutes ago, JohnM said:

IIRC, only 4 Wigan v Saints Grand Finals since it began in 1998.

In that same 24 year period,  9 different clubs have made appearances, so in total, Saints (13), Wigan (11) Leeds (10), Bradford (6), Warrington (4), Catalans, Cas, Salford, and Hull.

In that same 24 year period, Saints have played 5 different teams, I think.

HTH

Six. 

Leeds, Bradford, Wigan, Hull, Catalans, Salford. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, johnh1 said:

The year that Salford would have benefitted from increased attendances from the 2019 Grand Final would have been 2020, especially as they got to the Challenge Cup Final that year. Covid prevented that. By the time covid restrictions were removed, Salford were back to being one of the weaker Super League teams. If Salford can do it this year, I would hope that there will be a boost attendance wise next year.

For the CC final Salford were unable to maximise exposure and revenue because of the Covid lock down on attendance at Wembley.  That was just plain unlucky.

• Like 2

'The Invisble Man is at the door'.     'Tell him I can't see him'.      The late, great Tommy Cooper

Cracking thread this with some surprising outcomes.

The Wigan and Saints fans generally think another final involving Wigan and/or Saints would be exciting, whereas fans of other clubs seem less sure.

On the other hand, fans of Salford and Huddersfield think a final with their teams in it would be exciting, which we couldn't have foreseen.

For what it's worth I think Salford and full-strength Wigan are the form teams. It's really uncertain, however, which teams can currently string together 3 or 4 play-off standard performances in a row. I make Wigan favourites based on Friday night.

• Like 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Such a final would boost RL in both places.

It would bring in a whole host of returnees and newbies to the two clubs.

Consequently new monies would be brought to the game.

It would make future tournaments seem more competitive egged on by the possibilities.

Undoubtedly it would gather fresh media exposure.

Can the same be said for another Saints/Leeds/Wigan final?

I personally think both Huddersfield and Salford are in good places at the moement.

The Giants have an excellent coach in Ian Watson, the recruitment is good (Expect Bibby, Livett and Naiqama there next year) and of course Tory Davy is happy to shell out the millions.

Salford seem a very well run club with a talented squad and coaching team, plus our noisy and inspirational support.

Obviously I'd been delighted if we won something. I would be also satisfied to see Huddersfield also break the monopoly as well. 

Edited by idrewthehaggis
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, idrewthehaggis said:

It would make future tournaments seem more competitive egged on by the possibilities.

I personally think both Huddersfield and Salford are in good places at the moement.

The Giants have an excellent coach in Ian Watson, the recruitment is good (Expect Bibby, Livett and Naiqama there next year) and of course Tory Davy is happy to shell out the millions.

Salford seem a very well run club with a talented squad and coaching team, plus our noisy and inspirational support.

Obviously I'd been delighted if we won something. I would be also satisfied to see Huddersfield also break the monopoly as well. 

What has who Ken Davy votes for got to do with anything? You marred your own otherwise interesting post there. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, idrewthehaggis said:

How did Sheffield do after winning the Challenge Cup. Presumptions are easy, actuality is not so.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

2 hours ago, Padge said:

How did Sheffield do after winning the Challenge Cup. Presumptions are easy, actuality is not so.

I doubt anyone would force Salford or Huddersfield to merge with a club in a different town if they got to this year’s GF. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, idrewthehaggis said:

You missed out "...and would cure all diseases, known and unknown."

Although I agree with some of your views, I really think the overall effect should not be anyway near as big as you suggest.

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

I doubt anyone would force Salford or Huddersfield to merge with a club in a different town if they got to this year’s GF. 

That was a time after their win, what where their crowds cup season and the season after.

How much of an uplift did they get?

Edited by Padge

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

5 hours ago, Just Browny said:

Cracking thread this with some surprising outcomes.

The Wigan and Saints fans generally think another final involving Wigan and/or Saints would be exciting, whereas fans of other clubs seem less sure.

On the other hand, fans of Salford and Huddersfield think a final with their teams in it would be exciting, which we couldn't have foreseen.

For what it's worth I think Salford and full-strength Wigan are the form teams. It's really uncertain, however, which teams can currently string together 3 or 4 play-off standard performances in a row. I make Wigan favourites based on Friday night.

Leeds 😉

43 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

That’s my bet Leeds v Wigan, Saints are shot but Salford may sneak in

Saints are shot but I still think they’ve got the beating of Leeds. Salford or Catalan finding a bit of form would be a struggle for Saints at the minute. Even at home unless they can get 3 or 4 players back. 

4 hours ago, Padge said:

Would it mean they fill their stadiums the following season ? No , but would it give a whole load of fans of those and other clubs ' belief ' ? Dead right it would 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Would it mean they fill their stadiums the following season ? No , but would it give a whole load of fans of those and other clubs ' belief ' ? Dead right it would 

36 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Some ' anti heartland ' sentiments creeping in here 

The point I replied to was that the clubs would see massive increases of all sorts, Sheffield did, debt.

As for your heartland jibe, Sheffield weren't, aren't heartland I supported the project from the off and am sorry it never really paid off. Heartland clubs would face similar problems, winning silverware is not the great solver of all a clubs problems.

Fookin head in sand with begging bowl on @r$3 cheeks again.

2 hours ago, Padge said:

That was a time after their win, what where their crowds cup season and the season after.

How much of an uplift did they get?

I’ve had a look and can’t find any info about their crowds in 98 and 99, there must have been a bounce though surely? 

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I’ve had a look and can’t find any info about their crowds in 98 and 99, there must have been a bounce though surely? 

1997 Avg = 3,961

1998 Avg = 4,462

1999 Avg = 3,540

Season after winning the cup their crowds were down 900

• Thanks 1