Fri 16th Sept: SL: Wigan Warriors v Leeds Rhinos KO 20:00 (Sky)

Who will win?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors
    • Leeds Rhinos

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 16/09/22 at 19:00

I think that was a completely fair try tbh, no idea why Moore blew the whistle.

Well done Leeds. You'd have to say Bentley is an England player in that form, remarkably.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 minute ago, Ant said:

Just because they know how it works, doesn't make it a good system 

But it does work. To deny it flies in the face of all the evidence.  Tonight's game alone shows that. As will tomorrow's and as will the GF itself....as long as Leeds lose.

• Confused 1

Just now, DavidM said:

Smith’s got Leeds going . Someone like Austin was going nowhere earlier in the year

At the start of the season, Austin and Sezer looked like they'd never played together before. Late-season runs seem to be a Leeds speciality these days.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Good bit of dog in that Rhinos performance tonight. I didn't see that sort of performance coming.

Very listless and unsatisfactory home GF qualifier performance from Wigan. The absence of Cust, Farrell, and then French affected them a lot, but they seemed quite a bit off.

Bentley MOTM for me. His toughness spread throughout his team-mates.

Strange that the Rhinos have made another GF, finishing well under Rohan Smith.

Wigan just didn't fire. Empty end to the season for them.

• Like 1

A fun 150th anniversary season with plenty of memories and the Challenge Cup to show for it, but injuries to Farrell and Cust left the team lacking in ideas for the play offs. A massive improvement on the Adrian Lam years

Edited by Nate90

That's a brilliant 5 minutes of tv, a coach massively emotional, players with fans, players with family. Losing coaches and players showing class. Magnificent television. 

Matt Peet is a class act, turned the interview from being Wigan failed to Leeds succeeding. Been really impressed by him this season. 

Edited by dkw
  • Like 16

1 minute ago, andyscoot said:

Last season was dreadful for Wigan. They've been thoroughly enjoyable to watch this season and a great cup win. I'm not too disheartened at losing fair and square in a play off game.

Agree.  Some "easy" fixes...discipline, practicing goal kicking, finding why Bateman is lacking form.

1 minute ago, ShropshireBull said:

But french is gone and Pearce Paul is going after one more year, Field after two. It actually feels like Wigan have a tiny window with this team before they have to rebuild. 

French will be a big loss (if he goes, it's all gone quiet) but KPP less so.

Joking aside, Leuluai has always been a credit to his club and his country as a player and as a human. Wish him the best for his retirement from playing.

• Like 8

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

12 minutes ago, ShropshireBull said:

The Grand Final isnt going anywhere and nor should it. Leeds will take a good amount as will Saints or Salford who I actually think will sell similar amounts. 

It will be 60,000 plus and will be a great success. Pies havent been to SL Grand Final (with fans) now since 2018 and Leeds first for 5 years.

Don't you ever stop obsessing about crowds?

Enjoy the sport on the field 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, dkw said:

That's a brilliant 5 minutes of tv, a coach massively emotional, players with fans, players with family. Losing coaches and players showing class. Magnificent television. 

Matt Peet is a class act, turned the interview from being Wigan failed to Leeds succeeding. Been really impressed by him this season. 

Really well said. His compliments and humbleness have a genuine quality.

Both coaches were wonderful post-match.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Live after death said:

The fear and hatred that Leeds might do it from 5th again.

Fair play to Leeds if they manage to go on and win the Grand Final and take advantage of the system in place.

However people can't then moan when much of the season becomes a procession once teams are safely in the play offs and teams play weakened sides and don't take games seriously.

• Like 1

Peet was being very magnaninous but I think he made a key mistake tonight at half time. French coming out for the second half was an error. He could hardly walk and it seemed to unsettle the defence. 

Also, with a weakened St Helen's side, this was a massive opportunity for Wigan. Leeds were 4/1 at half time so something went badly wrong. 

The sending off didn't really make a difference as it was 14-4 and Wigan did not look like scoring twice by then.

Leeds of course played very well. I think Smith has outcoached both McNamara and Peet. He has installed a great defensive system especially. 

• Like 2