Signings for 2023

Evs62

1 hour ago, Town utd said:

Brad hepi,Wayne kitchin, ged and Martin oglanby,take your pick👍

I'd go for Hepi as the best allround loose forward i've seen in a Town shirt. Obviously the tackling is legendary but was quick and elusive but most of all he linked brilliantly with the halfbacks so the centre was always coming onto a short pass off him when on the front foot with space to run at. Much cleverer than he was given credit for.

Gary Nixon was great to watch as an old-fashioned LF with that little burst of speed and soft hands, pity he was in such a bad team at the time.

Edited by homeandawayer

6 hours ago, ivans82 said:

Best probably Ged Byrne who used to swap from stand off to loose forward when Wayne Kitchin was injured , great pair of hands on him, that dummy and go try at Old Trafford will live long in the memory .

Ged Byrne was the best bargain buy that  I can remember, and pundits thought he was passed it when Wigan released him. That grand final try happened in the corner where most Town fans congregated. Phil Mckenzie, signed about the same time from Widnes was also a class act, happy days.

• Like 1

Lf these days are used as an extra middle, the role has changed over time from ball player (part of so called spine) to defensive unit on opposing halves to current day extra middle.

Always matter of opinion of coure but for mine as a ball player, not many better than Ged Byrne or Martin Oglanby ( obviously even farther back Billy Ivison would be hard to beat) As a defensive units Brad Hepi and Bill Patty are as good as ive seen. Rodney Smith was a good 13 aswell.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Onreport said:

Rodney Smith was a good 13 aswell.

Rodney only made appearances at 13 when covering injuries.....he mostly starred in second row.

My favourite number 13's, during my early years as a Townie, were the brilliant Frank Foster and John 'spanky' McFarlane.......Billy Patty came along later and was also brilliant.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Rodney only made appearances at 13 when covering injuries.....he mostly starred in second row.

My favourite number 13's, during my early years as a Townie, were the brilliant Frank Foster and John 'spanky' McFarlane.......Billy Patty came along later and was also brilliant.

Wel i may be wrong but am sure Spanky played at 12 mostly, Rodney played 13 with Jazzer  Curwen at11

16 minutes ago, Onreport said:

Wel i may be wrong but am sure Spanky played at 12 mostly, Rodney played 13 with Jazzer  Curwen at11

Spanky started as regular number 13 in 1962....same position as he was in famous cup-tie v Wigan (the 17,741 match.... 1965...Rodney was a sub that day..)

But spanky was moved into second row when the first Bill Pattinson (not Billy)came into team at 13 .....Rodney still was mainly second row making only 100 appearances in 9 years......1961 to 1969.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

Spanky started as regular number 13 in 1962....same position as he was in famous cup-tie v Wigan (the 17,741 match.... 1965...Rodney was a sub that day..)

But spanky was moved into second row when the first Bill Pattinson (not Billy)came into team at 13 .....Rodney still was mainly second row making only 100 appearances in 9 years......1961 to 1969.

Yeah, remember Bill Pattinson also,

62 was just a shade before my memories, would have been there but far too young to remember detail.

I can only remember Rodney Smith playing 13, i know he left town ( for Swinton i think) but its amazing how your memory can play tricks   but there again was a long time ago

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/04/2023 at 17:17, chromedome said:

I thought Frank Foster was number 13 against Wigan

4 hours ago, Brookie said:

I thought Frank Foster was number 13 against Wigan

No it was 'Spanky' at 13..................Frank Foster wasn't in team...injured?

I still can see Wigan's Cliff Hill speeding downfield toward Town end, and John Mc.was heading toward popular side to cut him off....however (sadly) the Wigan speedster stepped inside him and shot in under the sticks....before that game breaker Town were deffo in contention at 4-5.