England Vs Samoa - Your Team

So taken from another thread, this is my team and why 

I think Dom Young played himself into the starting line up yesterday, while Ryan Hall with a couple of mistakes and little impact probably did the opposite. I fully expect the wingers to be Young and Makinson against Samoa while the centres will be Watkins for definite and a toss up between Farnworth or Wardle with Welsby an outside chance of being used there.

Wane will select Tomkins at Full Back but that doesn’t mean he deserves it, Welsby was outstanding against Fiji and will be unlucky not to start on Saturday.

Half Backs are interesting, I think Sneyd will get the nod alongside Williams. They both played well, they seemed to compliment each other so why mess about with that combination.

I think Wane will go with 6 middles, any combination of Oledski, Thompson, Burgess and either Hill or Lees to play in the front row with the others as interchange. Then I think he’ll start with Radley at Loose Forward and interchange him with Knowles. That will mean we have a very dynamic middle unit for the full 80 minutes and we won’t lose any quality, size or power when we make substitutions.

Micky McIllorum will start and may well interchange with Radley moving up from 13. This is dependent upon whether he starts Welsby in the centres or has him on the bench, if Welsby is in the centres I think Ackers will be on the bench but if he goes with Watkins - Farnworth/Wardle in the centres then Welsby will be on the bench not Ackers meaning Radley moving up to Hooker.

Second Row, one is easy, Whitehead! The other is a little harder, conventional thinking is that Bateman will play but McMeekin had a very solid game as did Batchelor and don’t rule out the possibility of KPP playing right side Second Row.

1. Tomkins, 2. Makinson, 3. Farnworth 4. Watkins, 5. Young 6. Williams, 7. Sneyd. 8. Hill, 9. McIllorum, 10. Thompson, 11. Whitehead, 12. Bateman, 13. Radley  SUBS Welsby, Knowles, Oledski, Burgess

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

So taken from another thread, this is my team and why 

I think Dom Young played himself into the starting line up yesterday, while Ryan Hall with a couple of mistakes and little impact probably did the opposite. I fully expect the wingers to be Young and Makinson against Samoa while the centres will be Watkins for definite and a toss up between Farnworth or Wardle with Welsby an outside chance of being used there.

Wane will select Tomkins at Full Back but that doesn’t mean he deserves it, Welsby was outstanding against Fiji and will be unlucky not to start on Saturday.

Half Backs are interesting, I think Sneyd will get the nod alongside Williams. They both played well, they seemed to compliment each other so why mess about with that combination.

I think Wane will go with 6 middles, any combination of Oledski, Thompson, Burgess and either Hill or Lees to play in the front row with the others as interchange. Then I think he’ll start with Radley at Loose Forward and interchange him with Knowles. That will mean we have a very dynamic middle unit for the full 80 minutes and we won’t lose any quality, size or power when we make substitutions.

Micky McIllorum will start and may well interchange with Radley moving up from 13. This is dependent upon whether he starts Welsby in the centres or has him on the bench, if Welsby is in the centres I think Ackers will be on the bench but if he goes with Watkins - Farnworth/Wardle in the centres then Welsby will be on the bench not Ackers meaning Radley moving up to Hooker.

Second Row, one is easy, Whitehead! The other is a little harder, conventional thinking is that Bateman will play but McMeekin had a very solid game as did Batchelor and don’t rule out the possibility of KPP playing right side Second Row.

1. Tomkins, 2. Makinson, 3. Farnworth 4. Watkins, 5. Young 6. Williams, 7. Sneyd. 8. Hill, 9. McIllorum, 10. Thompson, 11. Whitehead, 12. Bateman, 13. Radley  SUBS Welsby, Knowles, Oledski, Burgess

My thoughts.

If Wane had some intention to use Radley at 9 during the Samoa game, he would have given him some time there against Fiji purely to get him used to it.  He didn't so that is out.

I am sure he will go with Ackers and McIllorum as the rotation at 9.

The backline picks itself for me and it is the one you have named.

I think he will start Knowles as he is a Wane player through and through.

The only question for me is the halves and it is 2 from 3.  I really don't know how he will go about deciding if Sneyd's kicking game is enough to warrant the 7 shirt (I would) or go with the more dangerous running threat of Williams and Welsby. 

Is Bateman available as there is some confusion on whether the Fiji game counted for his ban.

What I think he will go with is.

1. Tomkins, 2. Makinson, 3. Farnworth 4. Watkins, 5. Young 6. Welsby, 7. Williams. 8. Hill, 9. McIllorum, 10. Thompson, 11. Whitehead, 12. Bateman, 13. Knowles  SUBS Ackers, Radley, Oledski, Burgess

What I would go with

1. Welsby, 2. Makinson, 3. Farnworth 4. Watkins, 5. Young 6. Williams, 7. Sneyd. 8. Hill, 9. Ackers, 10. Oledski, 11. Whitehead, 12. Bateman, 13. Knowles  SUBS Radley, Thompson, Burgess, Batchelor 

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

Wane has started Knowles as a prop before and I wouldn't rule out him doing that again so Knowles and Radley start.

Seems overkill to pick Oledski, Hill, Burgess, Cooper, Lees and Thompson in the squad if he was also thinking of Knowles as a prop as well.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

23 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

the centres will be Watkins for definite and a toss up between Farnworth or Wardle

Wardle isn't in the 24 man squad. 

Think I did a team last night but I’ve changed my mind about a couple of things, as this is who I’d go with - not necessarily who Wane would pick. 

Welsby 

Young

Watkins 

Farnworth

Makinson

Sneyd 

Williams

Oledzki

Ackers

Cooper

McMeeken

Whithead

Knowles

Radley, Thompson, Burgess, Tomkins

Edited by hunsletgreenandgold
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

My thoughts.

If Wane had some intention to use Radley at 9 during the Samoa game, he would have given him some time there against Fiji purely to get him used to it.  He didn't so that is out.

I am sure he will go with Ackers and McIllorum as the rotation at 9.

The backline picks itself for me and it is the one you have named.

I think he will start Knowles as he is a Wane player through and through.

The only question for me is the halves and it is 2 from 3.  I really don't know how he will go about deciding if Sneyd's kicking game is enough to warrant the 7 shirt (I would) or go with the more dangerous running threat of Williams and Welsby. 

Is Bateman available as there is some confusion on whether the Fiji game counted for his ban.

What I think he will go with is.

1. Tomkins, 2. Makinson, 3. Farnworth 4. Watkins, 5. Young 6. Welsby, 7. Williams. 8. Hill, 9. McIllorum, 10. Thompson, 11. Whitehead, 12. Bateman, 13. Knowles  SUBS Ackers, Radley, Oledski, Burgess

What I would go with

1. Welsby, 2. Makinson, 3. Farnworth 4. Watkins, 5. Young 6. Williams, 7. Sneyd. 8. Hill, 9. Ackers, 10. Oledski, 11. Whitehead, 12. Bateman, 13. Knowles  SUBS Radley, Thompson, Burgess, Batchelor 

Pretty much my thoughts, on both fronts.

If Bateman is available I'd have him starting, with McMeekin on the bench. Batchelor would be the unfortunate one to miss out.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tippytoe said:

Whitehead is 8/9 out of 10 every week in the Nrl he's a dead cert starter but yeah McMeakin is bigger.

I would agree before this year but he has looked off the pace in quite a few games.

I think he deserves to start against Samoa as he has been one of England's best for some time but he has to perform. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Tippytoe said:

Whitehead is 8/9 out of 10 every week in the Nrl he's a dead cert starter but yeah McMeakin is bigger.

Quite a lot of 5s and 6s this year IMO. He had an 8 or a 9 against Melbourne.

Deserves to start on his stature, but there are others yapping at his heels.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, saintspete83 said:

Phil "Gus" Gould on twitter when asked about England v Samoa "England can't beat Samoa"             to say I'm up for Saturday is an understatement. They really do not respect us.

God i hope we trounce them now.

• Like 2

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

1. Welsby

2.Young.  3.Watkins.  4. Herbie.  5.Makinson

6. Williams.         7. Snead.

8. Hill.            9. Ackers.         10. Cooper

11. Whitehead.      12. McMeeken

13. Radley

14. Burgess 15. Thompson  16. Oledski

17. Knowles. 

Tomkins has been named captain so he will start if fit and Welsby has x factor so I'd go with:-

Tomkins 

Young Watkins Farnworth Makinson

Sneyd Welsby 

Oledski Mcllorum Thompson

Whitehead Batchelor

Radley

Subs. Ackers Burgess Williams McMeakin.

24 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Quite a lot of 5s and 6s this year IMO. He had an 8 or a 9 against Melbourne.

Deserves to start on his stature, but there are others yapping at his heels.

He's one of the more seasoned professionals a good rugby brain that others will look up to, when Bateman is clear to play I think they will get the 2nd row spots even though Bateman hasn't been at his best either.

• Like 1

It’s so tight in a few spots. Realistically it feel like there’s only 2-5 that’s absolutely nailed down and probably Williams in the halves and Whitehead in the second row. I think we’ll see Knowles at prop but there are so many options in that middle channel, that picking who plays is extremely difficult. 

Tough to call but I’d go-

Welsby

Young Watkins Farnworth Makinson

Williams Sneyd

Oledzki McIlorum Knowles

Batchelor Whitehead Radley

Subs

Thompson T Burgess Hill Ackers

I don’t think many teams would have Micky Mac, Knowles and Radley all starting. It will put us at a size disadvantage early doors but all three are smothering defenders and will get off their lines and get in to the big Samoan props before they get up a head of steam. We can then roll our bigger guys on and off around them and bring Ackers on to start getting at them once they start to tire.  If we play like any Wane team I’ve watched, there will be a big onus on the outside backs to work the ball away from our line early in sets and let those guys get a rest. I’m expecting our defence to be extremely intense in the early stages. 

3 minutes ago, Tippytoe said:

He's one of the more seasoned professionals a good rugby brain that others will look up to, when Bateman is clear to play I think they will get the 2nd row spots even though Bateman hasn't been at his best either.

I agree. They do both need to perform though.

Since I'm Samoan and seeing all the strong English line ups I'll put up my samoan prediction squad

1 Joseph Suaali'i- Pretty obvious he'll be the starting fullback. I think he'll slot right in with the Panthers boys and do well. Pretty much everyone who watches the NRL will be keeping an eye on him especially to see if he lives up to the hype.

2 Tylan May- Similar to Brian To'o has a very big engine to run over 15 hit ups a game. Doesn't shy away from contact and I'm looking forward to his battle with Dominic Young.

3 Izack Tago- Another young prospect from the panthers. Did very well in his debut season in the nrl and didn't shy away from the big occasion. Also another exciting match up against Farnworth.

4 Stephen Crichton- One of the smartest and safest Center in the Nrl. His main strengths is Defense. Reads the game well on the defensive and offensive end. And threatening when competing for the high kicks on attack.

5 Brian To’o- The best winger in the Nrl without a doubt. Combination with Stephen Critchon will be crucial against England. Has the ability to break the whole game open on the wing and dominate.

6 Jarome Luai- Panthers left side edge has been the most dominant edge for the last 2 years in the nrl and that's thanks to Jarome Luai's footwork, vision and kicking game. He's always judged because he's next to Cleary, the best halfback in the world but now it's his chance to prove that he can shine without being in Clearys shadow.

7 Anthony Milford- Has a underrated kicking game and the leader of this team. Samoa needs him to be at his best to have any chance to beat England.

8 Junior Paulo- Would've slotted in the kangaroos starting line up easily. Very strong ball runner and on his day can be the best prop in the world.

9 Danny Levi- Playing in the SL will give the samoan forward pack some insight on what to expect. Has a good passing game and good vision.

10 Josh Papali'i- Another one that would've made the the kangaroos squad. Has huge experience in big matches and has played alot of games with junior paulo in the samoan team.

11 Kelma Tuilagi- Started off with a bang for the Tigers at the start of the season and he was their best player. But than dropped off form in the 2nd half of the season that probably came down to the Tigers management letting players go during the season and ruined any chemistry the tigers had left. He should do well and has the ability to do what kikau did on the left edge for the samoan team running off Luai.

12 Jayd'n Sua- A very strong defensive player. Who's also good on the offensive end. Played Origin last year and he was in the Rabbitohs squad that made the grand final against the Panthers last year.

13 Martin Taupau- Played at lock for the Kiwis in the past so has a lot experience. Also played lock when Aloiai came off injured against the cook islands and was the best forward in that game. Needs to be at his best for samoa to have a chance against England.

14 Tyrone May- I can see Taupau going hard for 25 mins and than they put May on at lock to play the playmaking type style at the back to spread the ball to the backline. Another Panthers player that was part of the title win last season. Knows Luai's game more than anyone in that forward pack.

15 Josh Aloiai- Strong ball runner and was one of Manlys best forward this season.

16 Spencer Leniu- Probably the best impact player off the bench in the nrl. Damaging ball runner and brings alot of energy off the bench.

17 Braden Hamlin-Uele- Very underrated prop. Has a big engine to make 30+ tackles and run all day. Will be the key on the defensive end against the big English pack early in that 2nd half.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1