RLWC Attendance-O-Meter

17 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

I'm gonna have to defend my fellow loiners here. The Aus game at 13.5k is pretty impressive when we are talking alot of £55 and £75 tickets sold.

Its also more than this fixture would have got in Australia 😄 

Apologies, I meant for Jamaica vs Ireland not Australia vs Fiji, though the latter should have been in Hull originally.

31 minutes ago, RP London said:

yes agree with that.. I'd be interested (but cannot seem to find) anyone that was not picked but bid to host games.. that would tell us whether we have really missed out, as we can only use places that want us to be fair. 

from reading the article it was 80% as a cumulative number across all tournaments. yes the mens game is heavy in the north, the womens totally in the north.

If non of the cities / hosts in the south was interested in hosting a game, then we do have a problem for this.  in 2013 we made a real effort to get to as many games as possible being based in west london, I even took 2 weeks off, but having games in south wales / bristol / neath helped for midweek games.

For me it did feel a kick in the teeth when no games was in the south for this one, did not expect Eng, Aus or NZ, but I was hoping for a Jamaica or France or Pacific team having a game closer to home

• Like 1

I personally don't think a lack of bids is any excuse for not having another game in London, at Brentford's ground for example. The organisers could have rented a stadium and had a match there quite easily.

I'm not sure if councils in London would feel the need to bid for this in the same way as other places to be honest. If they didn't then I feel the game should have been more proactive.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FearTheVee said:

Maye there just aren't enough RL fans who care enough for a WC to make sense.  At some point there is a responsibility on the supporters to get behind International RL and we clearly aren't there yet.

And no doubt those are the same fans who moan that the RFL don't plough money into their club or that RL doesn't get as much coverage as union.

3 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

And no doubt those are the same fans who moan that the RFL don't plough money into their club or that RL doesn't get as much coverage as union.

There does seem to be a special breed of London fan that will refuse to watch a London team and also internationals. 

2 hours ago, Leonard said:

FWIW - I would not expect the England games to sell out at least until Semi final stage - but I doubt they would sell out the Emirates anyway. France, Greece and PNG always unlikely and Samoa too.

Tbf I've seen zero advertising locally at Angel, King's Cross, Highbury, Holloway Road etc. I'd have no clue it was on without being an RL fan. 

4 hours ago, ATLANTISMAN said:

I agree + its mainly been pitched at RL fans, the whole thing is a mess right upto the premium hospitality prices being the same as the 6 Nations for the Semi-Finals and Final (Its being run by the same Edinburgh company that have the SRU contract) they have taken the RUWC and 6 Nations model and tried to replicate it and now the wheels have fallen off.

Thank god the France 2025 organisers  have already seen the mistakes made and will make tickets affordable for all at 30 euros with one price hospitality packages far easier and simple to understand and a great way to expand  the footprint and support base backed up in each town and city by the Marie with CASH:)

Simple , good word that , " keep it " added to the front and you're halfway there 

2 minutes ago, Leonard said:

There does seem to be a special breed of London fan that will refuse to watch a London team and also internationals. 

Agree. But tbh most of them aren't RL fans who attend. Those are the 'event' fans that the WC needs to target more of. 

1 minute ago, londonrlfan said:

Tbf I've seen zero advertising locally at Angel, King's Cross, Highbury, Holloway Road etc. I'd have no clue it was on without being an RL fan. 

I think they were praying England beat Samoa and that would do the trick. My guess is that sort advertising is simply too pricey and probably has little ROI. 

With Saturday and the BBC coverage of the England games, they are probably relying upon that media coverage to do the job.

2 hours ago, FearTheVee said:

Maye there just aren't enough RL fans who care enough for a WC to make sense.  At some point there is a responsibility on the supporters to get behind International RL and we clearly aren't there yet.

Yes, at what point is it decided that there isn’t enough interest currently to host a WC in the way in which we would all like?

11 minutes ago, St Reatham said:

Yes, at what point is it decided that there isn’t enough interest currently to host a WC in the way in which we would all like?

Usually on here the day after they announce the tournament.

Edited by Leonard

3 hours ago, Damien said:

I'm not sure if its always been like this but tickets are now cheap with a set price for anywhere and even premium seats at just £25. I wonder if it was like this a few days ago?:

image.png.7076b38747cf051645da6917bba6ee0b.png

This is how you do it , one price , earlier you buy , better seat you get 

Simples , said the little furry creature 😉

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, londonrlfan said:

Agreed - I can see the entrance to The Emirates from my front door, you wouldn’t know a World Cup quarter final is going to be hosted. Literally tens of thousands of Arsenal fans walk down my road on a match day… seems like the lowest hanging fruit of advertising 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, St Reatham said:

Depends what is classed as "success". The point of the WC is bring in profits used to grow the sport. That looks like it'll happen and even the much maligned 2000 edition made a profit. If RL wants bigger crowds, then it needs to become more of an 'event' that attracts neutrals rather than preaching to the choir. 

26 minutes ago, Damien said:

I personally don't think a lack of bids is any excuse for not having another game in London, at Brentford's ground for example. The organisers could have rented a stadium and had a match there quite easily.

I'm not sure if councils in London would feel the need to bid for this in the same way as other places to be honest. If they didn't then I feel the game should have been more proactive.

Isn’t it just speculation that no London grounds were interested? 

1 minute ago, londonrlfan said:

Depends what is classed as "success". The point of the WC is bring in profits used to grow the sport. That looks like it'll happen and even the much maligned 2000 edition made a profit. If RL wants bigger crowds, then it needs to become more of an 'event' that attracts neutrals rather than preaching to the choir. 

I’d love to see large crowds, full stadiums, a healthy profit and some after tournament legacy. A supposed profit is the only thing I can see potentially at present.

13 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Simples , said the little furry creature 😉

There is a good chance we'll see the lowest crowd of the tournament tonight if have thought... 

2 hours ago, Just Browny said:

Yeah I'd agree with that.

Am I misremembering or in 2013 did we not have 'categories' of games with different pricing tiers? That's what we should have had here

There has been that to a certain extent

Wales v Cook Islands at LSV is £15 to stand behind the sticks, but £20 for Lebanon v Ireland

(apologies if someone has already pointed this out. Hard to keep up with this thread!)

2 hours ago, Number 16 said:

I keep hearing this 4th largest statistic, but, frankly, based on nearly forty years living in the capital, I don't believe it! I rarely meet French people, and the real stats disprove it. To be the 4th largest French city you'd need upwards of 1.5m people to be French, which is around 1 in 6 of our capitals population.

It's one of those urban myths that was doing the rounds a few years ago.

35 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Yeah. Nah.

As discussed, it works for single tier bowl stadiums where every seat is essentially the same.

It falls apart when there are variations enough in seats/standing that mean that no compromise work is going to work for all and you're actively guaranteeing that once you reach a certain point people will refuse to buy.

And any time you then add a second category, you've torpedoed the "just one price" gimmick.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

19 minutes ago, Welshleaguelover said:

I think we've missed a trick by not having an England game on in prime time. I know it can be a ballache for families to attend a night game but it's the time where you get the most eyeballs on the game.

Maybe, however we have a 5pm kick off this Saturday so the BBC have shunted us to BBC Two. 

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Yeah. Nah.

As discussed, it works for single tier bowl stadiums where every seat is essentially the same.

It falls apart when there are variations enough in seats/standing that mean that no compromise work is going to work for all and you're actively guaranteeing that once you reach a certain point people will refuse to buy.

And any time you then add a second category, you've torpedoed the "just one price" gimmick.

It's also 'fixing' a non-existent problem. 

Tickets aren't unsold because there is different pricing in different stands. That is perfect normal. 

• Like 2