RLWC Attendance-O-Meter

Thought it might be a few more sat in there but 28k is a good effort. I’d love to see Elland Road developed. It’s an uncomfortable dump (sat here with a stiff knee and back from being squashed in to the point of not being able to get my right leg down on the ground) but we draw good crowds there and it’s a good atmosphere. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Mark Chapman said loads of free tickets had been given to key workers, which I kind of wish he hadn’t said, but even so there were a lot of paying customers. 

I was thinking the same as the free tickets around my way were for Care workers BUT they were limited so not a complete give away to everyone.

1 minute ago, WN83 said:

Thought it might be a few more sat in there but 28k is a good effort. I’d love to see Elland Road developed. It’s an uncomfortable dump (sat here with a stiff knee and back from being squashed in to the point of not being able to get my right leg down on the ground) but we draw good crowds there and it’s a good atmosphere. 

I had a great view but it is so cramped and that was in the newest stand

15 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

But it was a lot easier with the £5/£10 tickets 

I had a quick scan in my email archive and I paid £25 for a ticket for the 2013 opener. I paid £30 this time. 

For the final I paid £25 with a £5 off early bird offer. 

One of the prominent offers was buy one for the first Wire game and get one half price for the next game. This meant it was £30 for two games, £15 each. 

Edited by Dave T

10 hours ago, Dave T said:

Looks great, Elland Rd whilst being a pretty horrible ground in person does look great on TV, not unlike Old Trafford. 

Looks a very good crowd, being treated to a great game. 

The configuration means it does look good on TV. There were over 8000 empty seats there tonight but you couldn't tell because they were in the East Upper and the upper blocks of the West Stand which neither stand out in person or on TV.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

Might explain some of the no shows?

FWIW i think it was a good initiative, my wife’s a Nurse but never got offered any, might be because shes a bank nurse.

The NHS is the fifth largest employer in the world and nurses are by far the biggest staff group. No idea how they selected which key workers to offer tickets to, but however they did it it would still be a tiny percentage of nurses. 

16 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

The configuration means it does look good on TV. There were over 8000 empty seats there tonight but you couldn't tell because they were in the East Upper and the upper blocks of the West Stand which neither stand out in person or on TV.

I also think the fact that the seats are so small and pretty much on top of each other means that gaps look pretty small. Same at Old Trafford. 

On the flip side, I think that's an issue at Wembley and Man City for example, a small block of empty seats really stands out. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Eddie said:

The NHS is the fifth largest employer in the world and nurses are by far the biggest staff group. No idea how they selected which key workers to offer tickets to, but however they did it it would still be a tiny percentage of nurses. 

I'm not actually sure whether key workers were selected or whether they just had to apy during the ballot. I read about it a long time ago tbh. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

moved from the cheap seats to the dear seats in the east stand and plenty of opportunity for social distancing.

9 hours ago, WN83 said:

Thought it might be a few more sat in there but 28k is a good effort. 

I read on Twitter (a thread linked on here in fact) that the union lot got 33k at the same ground in 2015 for Canada v Italy. Two complete nothing teams, in a meaningless pool game.

Is 28k for a semi final in the heart of rugby league land between 2 giants of the game really a "good effort"?

Edited by Madrileño
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

I read on Twitter (a thread linked on here in fact) that the union lot got 33k at the same ground in 2015 for Canada v Italy. Two complete nothing teams, in a meaningless pool game.

Is 28k for a semi final in the heart of rugby league land between 2 giants of the game really a "good effort"?

Yes. But room for improvement 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

No point in comparing 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Madrileño said:

I was at that game in 2015. There was Scotland vs USA the day after too iirc. 

To put it briefly, it's not fantastic, its better than has been before, Union is a more popular sport and the RUWC is a bigger event.

9 hours ago, Dave T said:

I had a quick scan in my email archive and I paid £25 for a ticket for the 2013 opener. I paid £30 this time. 

For the final I paid £25 with a £5 off early bird offer. 

One of the prominent offers was buy one for the first Wire game and get one half price for the next game. This meant it was £30 for two games, £15 each. 

You slipped up Dave. We paid a fiver for NZ v Samoa, £10 apiece for Tonga v Italy, Tonga v Cook Islands and Ireland v Fiji and a whopping £13.50 for the final

• Like 1

Just now, Leyther_Matt said:

You slipped up Dave. We paid a fiver for NZ v Samoa, £10 apiece for Tonga v Italy, Tonga v Cook Islands and Ireland v Fiji and a whopping £13.50 for the final

Yeah I know there were 50% codes knocking about on here. They were the only games I had emails for, but I'm pretty sure I recall paying £7.50 for a game, probably in Workington. 

35 minutes ago, Madrileño said:

Context tells us this was very good. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Dave T said:

Yeah I know there were 50% codes knocking about on here. They were the only games I had emails for, but I'm pretty sure I recall paying £7.50 for a game, probably in Workington. 

Just Browny's signature is the reference point for this.

• Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)