Leigh changing their name? Bored journo doing a rumour?

1 hour ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

I think we need to have ourselves a little graphic design-off.

Everyone put in your best effort for the League Express branding, but do be aware that Martyn will be judging so please carry that in your thoughts.

Jesus, yes let's do this. Whilst I'm not a graphic designer, as a former newspaper and magazine layout designer and before that physical page setter (we had to use hot wax to stick text together on boards and everything!), I can professionally confirm that League Express' front page layouts are consistently some of the worst I've ever seen. I've always assumed they were done in the legendary MS Publisher 97 Small Business Edition 🤣

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

1 hour ago, The Ghost of 99 said:

Here is a proposed rebrand of League Express.

sadlergazette.jpg

Inspired by many Super League clubs adopting wild animals for their names, League Express becomes ‘The Sadler Gazette’.

·         The logo also follows recent trends in adopting within it a large, yet still subtle and appealing, visual of our namesake.

·         As a nod to the League Express’s rich history - and acknowledging fans’ preferences - the newspaper’s traditional colours of not-quite red and dirty gold are retained.

·         Our new mascots “Lelly” and “Elly” also subtly reference the old name, acknowledging all that has gone before whilst presenting a bold, modern and fresh identity.

leagueexpress-mascota.jpg

·         The eagle-eyed might spot the inverted rugby balls in the shape of the mascots’ eyes whilst Lelly’s triangular legs project strength and stability. Elly is anything but a token female, rather being a witty and enthusiastic character that will appeal to fans of all ages.

·         At the same time we are pleased to announce the signings of William Shakespeare, Geoffrey Chaucer, Jane Austin as staff writers and welcome our new columnists Dally Messenger, Harold Wagstaff and Ellery Hanley.

Oh God, I'm crying at my laptop now 😂😂😂😂

Another globally renowned designer in our midst... who knew rugby league had such a niche professional audience?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

8 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

I thought about this Ginger, the popular side at Leigh is the North Stand behind the goals, what we will all see in the future when ever the opposition are kicking off or Leigh have conceded a try is the R'se end of a big feline, good stuff☹

I'm happy with that Harry , the more time we are receiving the ball the more trys we are scoring 😉

13 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Rubbish, of course you are!

That's nice and everything, but with all due respect your opinion carries little weight with me in these matters... I want to know what Kirkmond's Pouch thinks about my career potential. He's a 'real' graphic designer, with a degree and everything. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, JDM said:

What kind of allergic reaction do you have to beginners'-level Photoshop?

It's infuriating that the page titles below don't match the font they've chosen for their logo. I hope for the fans' sake, their team isn't as inconsistent as this half-arsed 'rebrand'

image.jpeg.7c193bd54e6c0bc471b6c25ba4e3b7eb.jpeg

Honestly, I know someone has claimed this as their own work, but I still struggle to believe this is anything other than a skit from Phoenix Nights. 

1 hour ago, The Ghost of 99 said:

Here is a proposed rebrand of League Express.

sadlergazette.jpg

Inspired by many Super League clubs adopting wild animals for their names, League Express becomes ‘The Sadler Gazette’.

·         The logo also follows recent trends in adopting within it a large, yet still subtle and appealing, visual of our namesake.

·         As a nod to the League Express’s rich history - and acknowledging fans’ preferences - the newspaper’s traditional colours of not-quite red and dirty gold are retained.

·         Our new mascots “Lelly” and “Elly” also subtly reference the old name, acknowledging all that has gone before whilst presenting a bold, modern and fresh identity.

leagueexpress-mascota.jpg

·         The eagle-eyed might spot the inverted rugby balls in the shape of the mascots’ eyes whilst Lelly’s triangular legs project strength and stability. Elly is anything but a token female, rather being a witty and enthusiastic character that will appeal to fans of all ages.

·         At the same time we are pleased to announce the signings of William Shakespeare, Geoffrey Chaucer, Jane Austin as staff writers and welcome our new columnists Dally Messenger, Harold Wagstaff and Ellery Hanley.

Superb.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

13 minutes ago, Jughead said:

Honestly, I know someone has claimed this as their own work, but I still struggle to believe this is anything other than a skit from Phoenix Nights. 

Did you see some of the responses to Degsy’s pre-launch pic on Twitter? Comedy gold 

BC4031FC-D80B-4BC8-8248-DBB3C3657506.jpeg

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Chrispmartha said:

The Hull KR rebrand is a very good example of a great rebranding project, it was well thought out and executed brilliantly.

They spent time and money using a good branding agency.

Their badge redesign was annoyingly clever.

Anyway back on topic. I've still get ten pages to catch up on and I can't wait to pick it up again after the Australia v Scotland game. This thread is absolute comedy gold.

• Like 1

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Who cares ? , Nobody 

Your post is on page 35.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

After reading all the posts about our ahem "rebrand" One thing that strikes me is that the public opinion about all this is we think it is naff? Granted amongst the myriad of graphic designers that dwell on these pages there are certain people that don't like Leigh and are overjoyed by this spectacular leopard love in by Derek, however, their point is still valid, it is essentially ######.

Had Derek and co bothered to gauge the fans reaction before inflicting his love for leopards amongst the general public, something good may have come out of this, but it didn't and it won't.

And i'm not even a graphic designer!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, The Future is League said:

Degsy wanted the oxygen of publicity and he's certainly got that, and it's got people talking about him and the club and made more people aware of the club. Mission accomplished for him and the club, and it might even attract new sponsors to the club.

I reckon Chester zoo and Knowsley Safari park are shoe-ins

13 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

Actually, a lot of people care. A strong social media presence is critical to any business in 2022.

Just because your club's social media is shambolic, doesn't mean that you can pretend that nobody cares. It's just not true.

Even working within the constraints of their ###### logo, all they had to do was take the leopard icon out of the shield for use in social media contexts. How hard is it? I could do it myself on my iPhone in 3 seconds 

• Like 4

Looks like one of those 3D graphic hoodies that flash up when you go on Am*z*n. I've got a tenner on the kit the following season being one of those Magic Eye illusions, where you see the leopard if you hold the shirt close enough to your eyes and stare at it, with a changes-colour-when-you-sweat Global Hypercolour away shirt.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, JDINTHEHIZZOUSE said:

After reading all the posts about our ahem "rebrand" One thing that strikes me is that the public opinion about all this is we think it is naff? Granted amongst the myriad of graphic designers that dwell on these pages there are certain people that don't like Leigh and are overjoyed by this spectacular leopard love in by Derek, however, their point is still valid, it is essentially ######.

Had Derek and co bothered to gauge the fans reaction before inflicting his love for leopards amongst the general public, something good may have come out of this, but it didn't and it won't.

And i'm not even a graphic designer!

I'm no massive fan of leigh but don't hate them.. I do feel sorry for all the fans having to go through this for sure..  its the poor logo and the horrific shirt for me... the name is ok but christ alive you guys have to (well you dont) wear that stuff!!