1. 1. Who will win?

• England by 13 points or more
    • England by 7 to 12 points
    • England by 1 to 6 points
    • France by 1 to 6 points
    • France by 7 to 12 points
    • France by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 22/10/22 at 16:30

Positives:

- The ability to make easy yards through the tackle, attacking wide, coast to coast and around the fringes seems to be something the teams good at.

- Welsby is a classy classy operator. Radley too. We've got a young spine coming through again who look talented.

- I think we were sloppy so it could have been another really big score. I think we carry the most threat ball in hand of any team at the tournament. 

- France vs Samoa on a tangent... looks mouthwatering now.

Negatives:

- Marogue's kicking was good in the endzone, borderline very good, but it was too easy to score against us. Need to be more disciplined because I can guarantee the aussies in particular will pounce on everything.

- We give away too many set resets. Think I counted 5? We can't be giving away more than probably 2 against the better sides.

On the whole, pretty bloody good. Radley is a find. Would be nice if we could find replacements for Hill, Burgess and co.. but we're still a very good side all round.

• Like 4

Great day out. Glad I made the last minute decision to add this one to my ticket portfolio!

We do look good on the ball, and when our backs get a roll on with quick PTBs, we are almost unstoppable. I thought France showed some heart and they looked good on the ball most of the time. If it wasn't for our ill-discipline and a few handling errors, we might have made the gap 20 points bigger. 

Back to Nottinghamshire in 2 hours flat. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, The Masked Poster said:

England never have been ruthless, I know it's a desirable quality but why are we going to see it now suddenly? They are more ruthless than in the past and looking good and look like they can get better.

Maybe it will end up with the same old story but for now it's enjoyable. 

The fact that we have never previously been ruthless (and haven't changed) makes me very concerned about the above - that it will end up with the same old story.

Over the last 32 years of watching GB and England, I'm yet to enjoy that ending.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Is Vic there?* VR says... YES!

*A department S joke for the teenagers.

Blimey I've still got that 7" single.

But that probably doesn't surprise you.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

3 hours ago, Damien said:

Jon Wilkin yet again letting his personal beefs with players judge his commentary.

Yep, a really off-putting trait of his.  Saying that Pelissier ''should be ashamed of himself'' is no way for a commentator to be talking - especially when it was PTB verbals and the hooker was the one who ended up being shoved over.

He's the one who should feel that way, IMO.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ullman said:

Blimey I've still got that 7" single.

But that probably doesn't surprise you.

I just remember the younger me thinking the singer was a bit of a div for holding his microphone that way on TotP.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

3 hours ago, Stuff Smith said:

I wouldn't want an English referee either.

Because I don't trust them: they'll "show their neutrality" by continuously favouring Australia.

I want a neutral referee. Pity there aren't any French ones.

England were favoured very heavily today by an Australian referee, got away with absolute murder in the ruck the entire game. 

It's a complete myth that England don't get favourable treatment in internationals, only have to look back at some of the gifts given in 2017 SF to see confirmation of that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, UTK said:

England were favoured very heavily today by an Australian referee, got away with absolute murder in the ruck the entire game. 

It's a complete myth that England don't get favourable treatment in internationals, only have to look back at some of the gifts given in 2017 SF to see confirmation of that.

Yeah, true. Wouldn't happen against Australia though.

47 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Radley has made the England attack look a lot crisper. His skill allows the mid-field to square up and the ball-players to play off that good direction.

Looks tight and incisive.

Not sure he’d have the same range of pass but reminds me very much of a prime Sean O’Loughlin. He probably has a bit more aggression to his game and Lockers a bit more skill but both have/had that ability to be the link between the forwards and backs. Very rare to have a player who can hit like a train, charge a ball in like a prop but have hands like a halfback. I’ll be honest, I’m a huge Morgan Knowles fan and felt he was unlucky not to get a start last week but you can see there’s a bit more to Radleys game. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, UTK said:

Yeah we should have Casty lined up to take the final if that becomes an eventuality.

We should, but unfortunately Casty isn’t a very good ref, he always makes the wrong calls and consistently misses offsides, Knock ons, Dodgy play the ball etc. I’ve watched him ref like 3 or 4 games now and they’ve all been poor.

Just now, WN83 said:

Not sure he’d have the same range of pass but reminds me very much of a prime Sean O’Loughlin. He probably has a bit more aggression to his game and Lockers a bit more skill but both have/had that ability to be the link between the forwards and backs. Very rare to have a player who can hit like a train, charge a ball in like a prop but have hands like a halfback. I’ll be honest, I’m a huge Morgan Knowles fan and felt he was unlucky not to get a start last week but you can see there’s a bit more to Radleys game. 

Yes, I'd agree with that. Radley's passing offers a different element and adds a facet to the attack across the board.

21 minutes ago, UTK said:

Are you talking about the game when two of Tonga's tries were awarded despite being very questionable (to be extremely charitable), but everyone South of the Equator performatively messed their pants about the 50/50 chance that was actually disallowed near the end?

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Well England far the better team. Reading some comments seems we were lucky having a bias ref favouring England. We do look to nit pick and ignore any harsh decisions and iffy passers against us.

YEP England not perfect but do give confidence they can challenge any team.

WANE would know his preferred 17 now.

10 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Went a few scores up and then lost discipline. Got reminded of the game plan at half time and played better.

Showed that the players left out last week are not good enough for international footy.

Didn't think they did too badly. It was ill discipline that did for England.

Tomkins reacts too easy and that can set the tone of losing focus.

Thought Hall looked fine, Oleski just needs more game time to combine with the team  now I assume he isn't carrying his injury anymore. At the moment others are ahead.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, shrewsbury roughyed said:

Hint of Alvin Stardust if you ask me

Oh yes, good call!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

Are you talking about the game when two of Tonga's tries were awarded despite being very questionable (to be extremely charitable), but everyone South of the Equator performatively messed their pants about the 50/50 chance that was actually disallowed near the end?

Yes, the same game where every genuine Tongan try was analysed within an inch of its life while a couple of additional times the Tongans crossed the line they were refused the opportunity to be considered by the video referee.

Because of course we can't have England missing a WC Final at the hands of a little tier 2 nation can we?

• Like 2
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 3

Judging from the two games, I'd say our best 17 is:

Tomkins, Young, Watkins, Farnworth, Makinson, Welsby, Williams, Burgess, McIlorum, Hill, Whitehead, Bateman, Radley           

Knowles, Oledski, Thompson, McMeeken 

I'm aware that KPP and Batchelor haven't had a run yet. Unless they're nursing little injuries, I'm guessing that Wane doesn't have either of them in his best 17 either (even though they'll play next week).

I didn't think Oledski was incredible but, now he's blown off the cobwebs, I think he'll offer more than Cooper or Lees. 

Young and Makinson are better than Hall.

I prefer both Williams and Welsby over Sneyd. 

Probably my least popular opinion, I'd definitely play McIlorum ahead of Ackers.

• Like 6

In relation to trying to gauge France’s strength that seems a better result than their 30-10 defeat at home to an England team without NRL players last year. England at home coming off 2 huge victories over Fiji & Samoa and France keep the margin to 24 and were within 6 at half time that looks a good result, especially missing Fages & Bosquet.

The Samoa game will be interesting, I still think Samoa will come good and win but going off other results a French upset isn’t out of the question which would be great for them. It would take a huge Tonga Vs Samoa quarter off the table which would be a shame but that’s sport.

I’m hopeful the days of 60-70 scores against the French are over. I think there would be some value in England playing them at least once a year even if it’s mid-season without NRL players. A mid-year tri series with England, France & Ireland would be good to see based on current strength, England can play CNAS when Ireland play France.

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Alan Robertson said:

The fact that we have never previously been ruthless (and haven't changed) makes me very concerned about the above - that it will end up with the same old story.

Over the last 32 years of watching GB and England, I'm yet to enjoy that ending.

I last enjoyed a series win against the Aussies back in 1970 and cannot see a change in the ending this time either.

• Like 1