1. 1. Who will win?

• England by 13 points or more
    • England by 7 to 12 points
    • England by 1 to 6 points
    • Papua New Guinea by 1 to 6 points
    • Papua New Guinea by 7 to 12 points
    • Papua New Guinea by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/11/22 at 20:00

Big game for England this.

Winners will top the group and will play New Zealand and runners up will play Australia (bar a massive upset and NZ beating Australia).

I think we can beat New Zealand and so a win here could be a route to the final.

Being realistic, and I am as an ambitious an England fan as anyone, no-one is beating these Australians.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Big game for England this.

Winners will top the group and will play New Zealand and runners up will play Australia (bar a massive upset and NZ beating Australia).

I think we can beat New Zealand and so a win here could be a route to the final.

Being realistic, and I am as an ambitious an England fan as anyone, no-one is beating these Australians.

Haven’t seen the Australians… but have seen England play, are they really that good?

4 minutes ago, Wendigo7 said:

Haven’t seen the Australians… but have seen England play, are they really that good?

The Australians are reaping the rewards of the work they're done. They have amazing strength in depth and, good as the Ferns are, have to be favourites in the other clash.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

19 minutes ago, Wendigo7 said:

Yes, they.  I am not saying it for hyperbole, and I really want England to do well.

But they are unbelievable, another level. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I think Coach Craig Richards is making a mistake here, once again he has picked the weakest prop in the squad and left out Zoe Hornby and Vicky Molyneux.

PNG can get over the top of Hoyle & Wood and Grace Field lacks match fitness.

As previously mentioned, the winner will avoid Australia in the semi finals.

Will captain Emily Rudge finally stand up in this game, she has been quiet so far and on form probably shouldn’t be in the starting lineup

• Like 1

Everything under the sun is in tune

But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

2 hours ago, BroncoFan said:

I think Coach Craig Richards is making a mistake here, once again he has picked the weakest prop in the squad and left out Zoe Hornby and Vicky Molyneux.

Surprised that Molyneux was left out, after getting player of the match.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

England will face a real physical challenge up front against PNG Orchids - those who haven't watched much of the women's game will be shocked by the size and power of Elsie Albert in particular.

To win, England will need some good game management - finishing their sets, and ensuring PNG have to start theirs deep in their own half.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RBKnight said:

England will face a real physical challenge up front against PNG Orchids - those who haven't watched much of the women's game will be shocked by the size and power of Elsie Albert in particular.

To win, England will need some good game management - finishing their sets, and ensuring PNG have to start theirs deep in their own half.

Agree, this will be a huge challenge and as I have said elsewhere England have left out a few players who should be in, leaving them pretty weak up front and that is PNG ‘s strength.

• Like 1

Everything under the sun is in tune

But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

10 minutes ago, Richard de la Riviere said:

I think England will beat PNG as they have fabulous backs and back-rowers, but the front-row selections have been absolutely bizarre. I don’t see how they can do themselves justice in this World Cup with two second rowers starting at prop. 

Have any of the match reports picked up on this, or the journalists blinded by the scorelines and not paying attention to the performances?

25 minutes ago, RigbyLuger said:

Have any of the match reports picked up on this, or the journalists blinded by the scorelines and not paying attention to the performances?

Not that I’m aware of. Same with the bbc coverage I suppose. If the men weren’t any picking props in their 13, it would be a significant talking point. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Richard de la Riviere said:

Not that I’m aware of. Same with the bbc coverage I suppose. If the men weren’t any picking props in their 13, it would be a significant talking point. 

Liv Wood has played as a prop for the last season and a half

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RBKnight said:

Liv Wood has played as a prop for the last season and a half

Yes fair enough, but she is small for a prop, and the size difference between the respective packs tonight is one of the main gists of this thread.

I would say Liv’s natural position is second row. Without checking, I’m sure she started some games this season in the second row - maybe in the challenge cup semi final against Leeds when Savannah Andrade was still playing centre. 

As I’ve suggested elsewhere, Savannah and Jas Bell should be in the squad and obviously Sinead Peach. 

• Like 1

England are clearly looking to play a fast paced style in this competition.  Probably the reason for picking the mobile forwards.

Really looking forward to this.