Rob Elstone honoured, Kevin Sinfield not (Merged Threads)

No, really. You’re living in a dystopian Britain where Rebrand Rob has been honoured for his services to sport yet Kevin Sinfield, a man who won it all in his chosen career path, and has gone on to complete some absolutely unthinkable challenges to raise awareness and money for charity has received nothing. 

Make it make sense.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Ragingbull said:

Yep thats right. Mr Elstone recieves the MBE in the new years honours list. 

His outstanding contribution to SL sealed the deal im sure.

Is this some type of sick joke?

• Like 4

'Services to sport' ? In which role did he justify this award ? He was paid very well by Castleford, Everton FC & Super League. I guess it must be for the Papa John's sponsorship deal, where Super League received no funds, but the players received free pizzas after each game. Well done Robert you must be so proud.

• Like 4

• John Drake changed the title to Rob Elstone honoured, Kevin Sinfield not (Merged Threads)
10 minutes ago, Zilla Budgie said:

'Services to sport' ? In which role did he justify this award ? He was paid very well by Castleford, Everton FC & Super League. I guess it must be for the Papa John's sponsorship deal, where Super League received no funds, but the players received free pizzas after each game. Well done Robert you must be so proud.

Well WTF did he get it for then.

This is more than comical, it's downright insulting.

Kayakman's incredulity will surely be the ubiquitous response to this award.

Is there any publicly available information about the case made for this monumental farce? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I personally think its worse the England wheelchair team hasn't been recognised as this has been the trend for national teams from other sports that have won World Cups and even players winning the European Championships, as we have just seen with the Lionesses. 

Edited by Damien
  • Like 8

6 hours ago, Jughead said:

And since then raised a simply mind blowing sum of money whilst completing a challenge that doesn’t even sound humanly possible but hey, you be pleased with an OBE, Kev. 

I think because he's already received an OBE he won't get another award so soon,but hopefully he will get a Knighthood eventually, he's certainly earned it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Damien said:

I personally think its worse the England wheelchair team hasn't been recognised as this has been the trend for national teams from other sports that have won World Cups and even players winning the European Championships, as we have just seen with the Lionesses. 

I agree that these players should be honoured.  I just hope it is a process thing with the tournament quite late in the year.

For example, the wheelchair 'rugby' team who won Gold at the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games received their honours in the New Year List in 2022.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 hours ago, Damien said:

I personally think its worse the England wheelchair team hasn't been recognised

It really is.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, Damien said:

Strangely only four of the England women’s football team received an honour! 

Just now, Gomersall said:

Strangely only four of the England women’s football team received an honour! 

Push back, it seems, from things like the entire England cricket team getting an honour for winning a single series.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

3 hours ago, Damien said:

These awards are too soon sadly. There’s a lengthy lead time for the nomination and approval process. The team should be looking at recognition in the King’s Birthday List awards as long as someone nominates them of course.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Push back, it seems, from things like the entire England cricket team getting an honour for winning a single series.

The official line is to stop players who may have only spent five minutes on the pitch the whole tournament being honoured. I still don’t believe only four players won the tournament by themselves though.

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

I agree that these players should be honoured.  I just hope it is a process thing with the tournament quite late in the year.

For example, the wheelchair 'rugby' team who won Gold at the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games received their honours in the New Year List in 2022.

That's a very good point. Of course, we don't know of anyone or any group has submitted any cases, so maybe the most vociferous of complainers could get active, start petitions etc.

BBC News and Sport have done a great job covering Rob Burrow and Kevin Sinfield, as has Helen Skelton.

Maybe a concerted approach to them, and the President of the RFL asking why Sinfield has not been knighted might grab their attention.

However, any such campaign must be completely free of any shoulder-chipping.

Get going, all you social media warriors! 👍

• Like 2

Just read a rage piece on Leeds Live website. Some quite intemperate posts in the comment section. This sort of stuff is unlikely to advance the cause.

"It's an utter disgrace especially given that 4 amateur women footballers are being honoured for playing what is no better then Sunday morning stuff. Oh yes...of course they are women so they get them by default. I also imagine the honours list will be rated with people of all colours, genders and faiths who haven't contribute one iota of what Kev has. Kev has missed out because he's white and married to woman- his face doesn't fit. If he came out as trans they would be falling over themselves to Knight him"

• Like 2
  • Sad 1