What constitutes being a supporter of a club ?

What do you consider to be? Regular match attendance, merch buying etc etc?

What is the bare minimum requirements to justifiably say you are a 'supporter' of the club? 

Does anyone here 'support' more than one RL team ? ( As in not just looks out for the result but actually supports them whatever that may mean)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

What do you consider to be? Regular match attendance, merch buying etc etc?

What is the bare minimum requirements to justifiably say you are a 'supporter' of the club? 

Does anyone here 'support' more than one RL team ? ( As in not just looks out for the result but actually supports them whatever that may mean)

Touchy subject Mr Bronco!  I have followed Cas since I was a kid around 1971 and when I bought my first car around 1981 I followed them home and away and was a junior then an adult season ticket holder.  But according to one or two on here my credentials to comment on SL has been questioned as I migrated to Adelaide in 2006.  Me and my daughters still buy Cas merchandise every year.

• Like 10

54 minutes ago, Adelaide Tiger said:

Touchy subject Mr Bronco!  I have followed Cas since I was a kid around 1971 and when I bought my first car around 1981 I followed them home and away and was a junior then an adult season ticket holder.  But according to one or two on here my credentials to comment on SL has been questioned as I migrated to Adelaide in 2006.  Me and my daughters still buy Cas merchandise every year.

Yeah according to one poster on here you have to either live or have been born in a town to support that club,something I’ve always found mystifying.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I certainly think you need to generate income for the club in some way to be a "supporter". Just looking at the results in the paper every week relegates you to "follower" status.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

The real fan/supporter debate is the most deathly in sport.

You get happy when your team wins and sad when they don't? Congrats, you're a supporter.

You like to come up with definitions about match attendance, raffle tickets bought, number of times you followed the team away during that season fifteen years ago when you lost every game? You're a gatekeeper.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

It’s whatever you want it to be, isn’t it?

If you want to religiously watch a team’s games home and away, using your annual leave to make sure you see every second of every match or if you want to sit at home or in a pub and watch a particular teams games, and everything else in between, then that’s entirely up to you, as is the way in which you allocate your free time and disposable income. 

• Like 8

58 minutes ago, Griff said:

I certainly think you need to generate income for the club in some way to be a "supporter". Just looking at the results in the paper every week relegates you to "follower" status.

Following the club on social media or being a viewing figure they can sell to sponsors is valuable tbh.

• Like 3

Objectively (which I appreciate isn't the way this debate is likely to go) I guess it's any lasting commitment to and identity with a team. There are different levels of fan-ship from answering "I support XXX" when asked and doing little more than that (which is where I am with my football interest) to people who are full in - travelling to every game home and away, But really this is a case of self identification - you decide IF you are a fan; others may debate how MUCH of a fan you are.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Being a staunch, and die hard supporter is to be confirmed when a solid group of about a dozen  made the daily trip over to Scarborough over many weeks in order to dismantle, load up and transport the modern stands and floodlights from the defunct soccer club followed by the rebuilding at PO Road. That is what I classify as being a supporter. Come on FEV.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

The real fan/supporter debate is the most deathly in sport.

You get happy when your team wins and sad when they don't? Congrats, you're a supporter.

You like to come up with definitions about match attendance, raffle tickets bought, number of times you followed the team away during that season fifteen years ago when you lost every game? You're a gatekeeper.

No , a supporter ' supports ' , by financially contributing to a club , a fan follows a clubs fortunes and may argue the toss about everything but doesn't really make a significant financial difference to the club , my brother in law who I work with ' follows ' Man City , buys a shirt every couple of years but hasn't watched them live for 30 years and even before that probably hasn't seen them live more than a dozen times  , he's a fan , I'm less of. Fan of UTD , as I've not watched or bought a shirt for 30 plus years , but for 15 years before that I was a regular at OT and plenty of away games 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

No , a supporter ' supports ' , by financially contributing to a club , 

The dictionary definition:

"someone who wants a particular team to win and might show it by going to watch the team play" [italics my own]

So, to go back to my words:

"You get happy when your team wins and sad when they don't? Congrats, you're a supporter."

• Like 5

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, gingerjon said:

"someone who wants a particular team to win and might show it by going to watch the team play" [italics my own]

"You get happy when your team wins and sad when they don't? Congrats, you're a supporter."

I care not what the dictionary says , support is offering ' support ' , if it's a proffessional club that means supporting them financially , a fan is just interest 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, GUBRATS said:

I care not what the dictionary says , support is offering ' support ' , if it's a proffessional club that means supporting them financially , a fan is just interest 

Financial support is a subset of support. Just one kind of support, in fact, from the many kinds available.

• Like 3

I don't think there's a standard people have to meet to qualify. For Neil Hudgell it was about £500k a year and all the stresses of the work behind the scenes, in my case it involved still buying a season ticket even though I was living in Sydney for years and only saw one match a season, but from each according to their means etc etc... if someone wants Rovers to win, watches matches on telly and can only make one match in a season because they've got busy family lives, work shifts, play sport at the weekend, whatever it is then who cares. Every little counts, clubs need all flavours. 

• Like 2

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

and fan is short for fanatic, dictionary definition - “a person filled with excessive and single minded zeal”

24 minutes ago, Ragingbull said:

I believe ive got the longest un broken streak (baring games behind closed doors for covid)  for attending all 1st team games amongst all Bradford fans. 

Hopefully thay classes me as a suppporter!

It classes you as a lot of things mate 😅

• Haha 5

Supporters provide financial support to a club, be it by attending (and paying), buying merchandise or supporting lotteries etc.

Fans follow a clubs fortunes but do not provide direct financial suport from their own pocket.

Edited by Padge
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.