Widnes this sunday

georgeb1

2 hours ago, georgeb1 said:

Very nasty , a proper thug similar to Mike markeeto would fit😉

Great days!! Beat the Leeds pack single handed - well ok he used both his hands I'm sure but you know what I mean 😁

And while we're at it, another Matt Carter, Rod Pethybridge and Peter Martin wouldn't go amiss either. What a bunch of aussies we had that year! BTW - apparently 36 players turned out in a York shirt that year. 😲 Makes current squad sizes look positively anorexic!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JonT said:

Great days!! Beat the Leeds pack single handed - well ok he used both his hands I'm sure but you know what I mean 😁

And while we're at it, another Matt Carter, Rod Pethybridge and Peter Martin wouldn't go amiss either. What a bunch of aussies we had that year! BTW - apparently 36 players turned out in a York shirt that year. 😲 Makes current squad sizes look positively anorexic!

Sean Willey was another good young signing that year.If I remember correctly he stopped another couple of seasons.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wiggyroad said:

Sean Willey was another good young signing that year.If I remember correctly he stopped another couple of seasons.

Gosh, I'd forgotten about Sean. Another great player. Ross Windshuttle was pretty handy as well if I remember correctly. It was like there was a conveyor belt to British RL clubs all the way from down under back then.

1 hour ago, Wiggyroad said:

I was one of the sceptical ones about Clint , but the interview last night was a good indication of his ideas moving forward. He has got the business sence to move us forward from what I heard 

Have to agree with you, I too was in the ‘not too sure about this guy’ camp and a big fan of Flatman and Ford, however, having heard Clint last night I am a lot happier, the guy is no mug and it would seem that both he and Hendo will progress this club. I thought his answers were well thought out and he is obviously passionate about York. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JonT said:

Good points Jon , but we were effectively superleague that year.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, White Knight said:

Three more sleeps. Weather forecast is good. I’m expecting a big crowd. Up the Knights. 

Should be quite cosy in the east stand with Widnes getting blocks a and b previously theve been in the southstand.

22 minutes ago, Stirlin said:

Marsh

Brown

Glover

Dee

Towse

Hingano

Harris

Teanby

Jubb

Fitzsimmons

Clarkson

Antrobus

Thompson

Daley

Cunningham 

Kirmond

Michael

------

Barnard

Kirby

Price

Harrison

Bench is lightweight and questions over match fitness of Dee and Clarkson. Bring in a centre and experienced prop to cover Ukuma and PP's injuries and we're actually looking pretty decent!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Widnes 1989⭐⚫⚪️ said:

Looking forward to todays game. Stayed over in York last night, so a little muzzy headed this morning. I’m expecting a close game, 8 points in it either way! ⚫⚪⚫⚪

Thanks Widnes 1989. An overnight stay you say? 🤔 Rugby/tourism achievement unlocked! That's us nailed on for a A grade from IMG then 😆

Joking aside, enjoy the game and I suggest sitting a block or two away from the guy with the drum! 

Edited by JonT
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Widnes 1989⭐⚫⚪️ said:

Looking forward to todays game. Stayed over in York last night, so a little muzzy headed this morning. I’m expecting a close game, 8 points in it either way! ⚫⚪⚫⚪

You had a night out in York and you can still afford a ticket! Rishi should give you a job 👍

• Haha 1

Shame Cunningham went off, but just shows up there is no plan B. Although too many mistakes to win a game.

Thought bailey was MOM by a country mile, Fitzsimmons looked good and the young lads played well. Shame Barnard didn't get on.

The injured can't come back soon enough

• Like 1

As

On 30/11/2022 at 10:24, Live after death said:

Great player always 3rd 4th best half in Australia, consistently for about 15 years, but when you look who was around as the same time thats no mean feat.

had to compete with Lewis, Kenny, sterling, Langer. Then Daley, Fittler, and latter stages Johns. Superb in both spells  at Leeds, had everything except pace and lacked a bit of size strength  compared to say Lewis, Fittler. 

Genius will ball in hand not many better.

On 25/01/2023 at 21:57, Yorkie-Girl said:

Is Ellis fit to play?

On 29/06/2022 at 22:30, ShropshireBull said:

Worthless for Cornwall RU who need 10k so cant see them putting a penny in. 

15 minutes ago, Nige Arro said:

Shame Cunningham went off, but just shows up there is no plan B. Although too many mistakes to win a game.

Thought bailey was MOM by a country mile, Fitzsimmons looked good and the young lads played well. Shame Barnard didn't get on.

The injured can't come back soon enough

Agree with all of that. Antrobus is an absolute machine!

Thought the days of trying to win games with only one half were behind us. All the weight was on Liam's shoulders today. The guy did his best but little creative support elsewhere. Marsh, Jubby and others didn't step up to give him a hand at all. The positives for me - liam, Connor, Bailey, Myles and, as always, Jordan. Thought most of the others looked off the pace. Had all the feels of a first run out, i suppose.

Still, early days and plenty to play for yet.

Edited by JonT
  • Like 1

Couldn't understand turning the 2 down just before half time either. I thought it was an enjoyable game between two evenly matched sides. We certainly need some of the troops back asap, Hendo obviously didn't fancy putting Barnard on,  was he the only option available to make up the 17?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JonT said:

Thought the days of trying to win games with only one half were behind us. All the weight was on Liam's shoulders today. The guy did his best but little creative support elsewhere.

It's incredibly frustrating isn't it. We seem to have had about two years of it. We've had the likes of Washbrook and Clarkson having to fill in there and Marsh which takes away his threat from full-back. I assume Hingano is injured?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HaxbyKnight said:

Ha ha we were saying that, but also wonder why we didn't vary the kicking a bit, try the odd grubber just for a change.

It was another case of the opposing teams half backs controlling the game much better than we do ie. varying the kicks and knowing when to take 2 points as an example.

• Like 3