IMG Grading Unveiled

Honestly I don't know why Keighley are kicking up so much of a fuss. I would imagine it is going to take at least 4 or 5 years to get Keighley anywhere near to being in a position to oust one of the current Sl teams and its more than likely that a new system will be in place by then anyway so they would be best just knowing their role and just trying to do the best that they can.

3 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Honestly I don't know why Keighley are kicking up so much of a fuss. I would imagine it is going to take at least 4 or 5 years to get Keighley anywhere near to being in a position to oust one of the current Sl teams and its more than likely that a new system will be in place by then anyway so they would be best just knowing their role and just trying to do the best that they can.

can that last sentence mean... know yer place and shut up!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

If its more strong clubs that are thriving and less half baked ones scraping by then it should do just fine.

Yes, but I think that a lot of people are missing the point, those being the ones that are crediting this excersize of how well and what it will acheive. To do so it has to have the backing of the majority of those that are already converts of the sport my little excersise says that most do not even know what it is all about - give it a go and do your own straw poll - never mind those we need to attract to the sport.

9 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yes, but I think that a lot of people are missing the point, those being the ones that are crediting this excersize of how well and what it will acheive. To do so it has to have the backing of the majority of those that are already converts of the sport my little excersise says that most do not even know what it is all about - give it a go and do your own straw poll - never mind those we need to attract to the sport.

They will start to have opinions when an A grade gets saved from relegation , or a B is refused promotion 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

It doesn't have to does it? Does your average, even casual fan know the ins and outs of everything? We are a small, if very invested, minority on here H!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Barley Mow said:

I'm not expressing an opinion of what is preferable in this or any other specific situation, but a referendum is a 'purer' form of democracy (direct or absolute democracy) than what you refer to as a democracy (indirect or representative democracy).

But no democratic society would advocate direct democracy as its unworkable and nothing would ever get accomplished. 

• Like 1

I find it ironic that the Keighley owner has stated that he wants it to be all about being able to play for it on the pitch, but when push comes to shove, he shows Catalans' attendance as his measure of (lack of) success.

I also find it ironic that the Keighley owner, who wants it to be about on-pitch ability, has chosen to aim at Catalans, a club that has won more major trophies than Keighley.

I also find it ironic that the Keighley owner has posted about attendances aimed at a club which currently holds the Super League regular season attendance record, holds the second highest Challenge Cup final attendance record in the Super League era, and had an average attendance in 2022 of around 5 times that of Keighley in the same season.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Liverpool Rover said:

I've seen that Castleford apparently are expected to vote against and Wakefield have changed their minds and will now vote in favour.

Apparently they have been in talks with the RFL and IMG wanting clarification on some things. But some people on here seem to assume that each club had been told all the details and it were just fans been kept in the dark a little bit. If its that clear then what were they wanting clarification on? 

It seemed daft Wakey voting against it anyway as its likely going to be their best chance to get back in to SL after this season. As for Cas they may as well just mosey along knowing relegation unlikely in the near future then hope the next lot of criteria in a few years favors them again.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

If it doesn't pass? The Super League clubs will stop playing nice, and do it on their own. Bringing the whole game along is much better, which is why the RFL is trying to do it, but a flawed Super League IMG breakaway is still better than the status quo. Might take a few months to work it out, but it'll happen. Or more likely the threat of it will mean that Plan A happens in the end anyway.  

Thanks for the voting explanation Bronco.

So it is actually designed to ensure that SL clubs get their way, if they don't then in your opinion they will then proceed to get their own way whatever the outcome of the vote.

Is Comrad Putin at the head of IMG, it seems like "My way or No way" is the system being employed here.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

It doesn't have to does it? Does your average, even casual fan know the ins and outs of everything? We are a small, if very invested, minority on here H!

This my whole point Tommy, the 'average' fan of the game, rephrased to the 'average fan who attends games' has no inkling whatsoever of this bright shiney new structure that is coming their way.

Take my club and it's fans as a prime example, I was there last year when we averaged below 3K, in 4 games at home this year we are doubling that in home fans alone, in your opinion (or anyone else) what is the reason for the uplift?

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

This my whole point Tommy, the 'average' fan of the game, rephrased to the 'average fan who attends games' has no inkling whatsoever of this bright shiney new structure that is coming their way.

Take my club and it's fans as a prime example, I was there last year when we averaged below 3K, in 4 games at home this year we are doubling that in home fans alone, in your opinion (or anyone else) what is the reason for the uplift?

Two fold, great marketing, and secondly fans prefer to watch their teams play bigger teams. If for instance Wakey, Huddersfield, or Salford were in the Championship, what crowds would they get?. My own club has show what can be done, by increasing crowds to an average of around 3K, from what in the past would have been around 2K max.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Because Mr Beaumont is pulling his finger out and trying to run the club like it's 2023. Like a business.

Booking actual entertainment for pre-game and half time, rebranding (even though I'm not a massive fan) and increasing their social media presence. 

They've actually won me over a little. I used to think Leigh was the epitome of the small-minded nature of the game in England. I'm actually loving the direction Leigh are heading. I know you won't like it but they've taken a leaf out of Toronto's book and made match day an experience.

• Like 3

new rise.jpg

1 hour ago, The Blues Ox said:

Apparently they have been in talks with the RFL and IMG wanting clarification on some things. But some people on here seem to assume that each club had been told all the details and it were just fans been kept in the dark a little bit. If its that clear then what were they wanting clarification on? 

It seemed daft Wakey voting against it anyway as its likely going to be their best chance to get back in to SL after this season. As for Cas they may as well just mosey along knowing relegation unlikely in the near future then hope the next lot of criteria in a few years favors them again.

....and they'll also be a few years closer to starting work on their new ground. 🙄

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

Asking for clarification seems like a perfectly normal part of any process like this. No conspiracy theory required.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

14 minutes ago, Pulga said:

Because Mr Beaumont is pulling his finger out and trying to run the club like it's 2023. Like a business.

Booking actual entertainment for pre-game and half time, rebranding (even though I'm not a massive fan) and increasing their social media presence. 

They've actually won me over a little. I used to think Leigh was the epitome of the small-minded nature of the game in England. I'm actually loving the direction Leigh are heading. I know you won't like it but they've taken a leaf out of Toronto's book and made match day an experience.

I was waiting for the entertainment angle, just an observation but for 20 to 25 mins before kick off when the teams come out to do their limbering up and drills,  all the focus and discussion is on them the player's and not so much attention on the 'turns'.

I expect that come the end of the season our 'home' fans average attendance will not be very much different from 2017 of about 5,500, but could well be boosted over the 6,500 total average boosted by the away fans, probably because Leigh will be more competitive to visit, Salford x 2 and Wigan were better attended by their fans this year, Saints were pretty much the same as in '17 the best away following by far, it will be interesting to see how Leeds fans will travel this week, in '17 it was like a game of "I Spy with my little eye" trying to spot the Leeds fans in the stadium.

As for Toronto I think you will find all the fans at Leigh facing the pitch not mulling around the beer tents.

Edited by Harry Stottle

1 minute ago, Jughead said:

Four votes against in Super League and at least one in the Championship, it seems. 

That seems like it’s passed then?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

Can we swop the word passed for 'contrived', as in the voting system.

That would be a majority in both Super League and Championship so how contrived is it?

Just now, Jughead said:

Not necessarily. That’s the clubs who have gone public with their concerns. I also forgot Batley and Fev weren’t sold either, so there could well be more. 

Ah, sorry. I thought you’d had a bit of inside knowledge about the actual vote!