NRL in talks to expand to 20 teams

Just a few thoughts, that idea of having a Pasifika team based in Cairns and playing games in Tonga, Samoa, PNG and North Sydney has disaster written all over it. 

I'm for the idea of a 20 team comp but the right teams must enter or the value of the rights and quality of the TV product will decrease. 

• Like 3

Perth for the national spread, Ipswich Jets to lock up that Western corridor and the western part of Brisbane and then I`d be thinking about getting Adelaide in if the game can afford it.

The Queensland and NSW Cup competitions are perfectly serviceable for PNG or P.I. teams presently, but definitely accelerating the investment in pathways from these regions.

• Like 4

Of course they should expand to 20, and none of this once a decade nonsense. The money is there, the players are there and the demand is there. 

NZ2 and Perth are the two standouts both in terms of spreading the game and the potential growth in TV deals. Perth has a bubbling RL scene and a NRL team would be the cherry on top. NZ has the players, we all know that.

The third addition is a little trickier and for me goes one of three ways. If the NRL is looking to strengthen and grow the game domestically then Adelaide is the glaring omission in terms of being the only big Australian city left with no NRL team. The game though is significantly weaker there though with little presence compared to other options. It's akin to Melbourne again.

PNG doesn't really bring money to the table in terms of increasing TV deals and would require a huge government subsidy before the NRL would consider it I think. It is also RL mad anyway which may actually go against it in terms of the growth the NRL sees there.

Another Queensland team would be the safe option and further solidify the games dominant position there. It was probably a coin toss anyway between the Dolphin and Firehawks anyway.

I think there's probably a strong, and quite different case, for all those three. Also it's probably why in the longer term 22 is the logical number with 3 overseas teams part of the competition. 

Edited by Damien
  • Like 2

I wonder if they'll ever consider the idea of P&R (two tens). I mean it definitely won't happen but it'd be interesting to know whether anyone floats the idea. A conference system like in American sports could work nicely though.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Perth for the national spread, Ipswich Jets to lock up that Western corridor and the western part of Brisbane and then I`d be thinking about getting Adelaide in if the game can afford it.

The Queensland and NSW Cup competitions are perfectly serviceable for PNG or P.I. teams presently, but definitely accelerating the investment in pathways from these regions.

I actually agree with this. The NSW and Queensland Leagues are ideal for servicing the island teams. The PNG Hunters already put bums on seats in the Queensland Cup so I don't see why that can't continue. A Pasifika team will not work and is pie in the sky. 

Perth is a given and an obvious choice, Ipswich Jets would satisfy demand in Western Corridoor and Adelaide is a major Australian city.

Just out of interest what was your reason for not adding NZ2?

• Thanks 1

Is there any random idea for an NRL club the ageing parasites of the Bears won't try to latch on to?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

12 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

I actually agree with this. The NSW and Queensland Leagues are ideal for servicing the island teams. The PNG Hunters already put bums on seats in the Queensland Cup so I don't see why that can't continue. A Pasifika team will not work and is pie in the sky. 

Perth is a given and an obvious choice, Ipswich Jets would satisfy demand in Western Corridoor and Adelaide is a major Australian city.

Just out of interest what was your reason for not adding NZ2?

The reason the Sky deal jumped so much was because of competition from the streaming service Flick, which has since folded, this takes us back to the situation of a Sky sports monopoly. Hence it is far from guaranteed that a similar deal could be done next time.

The other thing that bothers me is that the N.Z. economy is 1/5th of Australia`s and its` population centres are quite dispersed so that no one other city (apart from Auckland) jumps out as being able support an NRL side yet.

Adelaide is a good sized city of 1.3m in a State of 1.9m, that had a Rugby League team that was well supported until it was sacrificed in the Super League war settlement. Like Storm based in a fumbleball state, I could envisage that state getting behind its` League team even if they still follow the predominate code.

Once again develop the pathways coming out of N.Z. with an eye to the future and getting the Warriors performing first. Like what we are starting to see now finally

.Plans afoot for One New Zealand Warriors to field five teams in 2024 | Warriors

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Is there any random idea for an NRL club the ageing parasites of the Bears won't try to latch on to?

Article in today`s paper and appearing on ABC radio where N.S. Bears spokesperson Billy Moore says the Bears are open to a Pasifika Bears hook-up.

The name says it all. I can see the grizzly bear logo appearing through the palm trees now. The whole thing is quite tragic.

Maybe they could change it to Pasifika Bares in a nod to the traditional habit of some Pacific Island cultures originally getting around in the nuddy.

Edited by The Rocket
  • Haha 4

For me it has to be NZ2 almost straight away. The talent coming through is already there. After a few years of another talent factory coming through and talent being picked up by other teams also we shouldn't see as big a stretch on players numbers and quality while introducing Perth.

After that I'm not too sure. PNG is a complete fantasy. It can't happen. One of the poorest and most violent places on earth.

Possibly Adelaide or maybe a western Qld side.

• Like 2

new rise.jpg

46 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Article in today`s paper and appearing on ABC radio where N.S. Bears spokesperson Billy Moore says the Bears are open to a Pasifika Bears hook-up.

The name says it all. I can see the grizzly bear logo appearing through the palm trees now. The whole thing is quite tragic.

Maybe they could change it to Pasifika Bares in a nod to the traditional habit of some Pacific Island cultures originally getting around in the nuddy.

The local league team who ran a float at the Cook Islands independence day parade behind us when we attended on tour in 2015 had a North Sydney Bears style logo, perhaps they could link up??

4 minutes ago, Copa said:

Would a Pasifika team covering Samoa, Tonga and Papua Guinea really work? They are three different countries so would the fans really get an identity they can embrace?

Are they embracing the Union equivalent?

NZ2 (Christchurch?) and Perth definitely then Adelaide or Queensland seems the most logical to me.

That said I wouldn't discount a Central Coast/Bears link up out of hand either, but it would be behind the above grouping ideally.