Attendance thread

6 hours ago, Hull Kingston Bronco said:

Rovers have finally made their first attendance announcement of the season:

Averaging 8,782 so far, which is the highest in over 40 years 

To be honest if they aren't disclosing attendances then they would say that....not saying it isn't true but who would know otherwise?

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, daz39 said:

To be honest if they aren't disclosing attendances then they would say that....not saying it isn't true but who would know otherwise?

In fairness they could make up individual attendances just as easily as making up an average 

From what I've seen on telly and one game live the average looks about right 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, daz39 said:

They've just disclosed their attendances. Which you now doubt, because they... er... haven't disclosed their attendances. 

Just checking I've got that right? 🤣

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

On 06/05/2023 at 07:57, Davo5 said:

That’s a poor turnout at Leigh considering how well they are going.

If Leigh can average 6,000 home fans over the season that will be very good Dav, that will more than double what they averaged last season for a team that was unbeaten at home, and in '17 there was in the region of 5,500 average number of home fans.

6,000 represents something in the region of 14% demographically of the towns 42,000 population, that would put Leigh high up on the list of 'target audience' figures returned for any team in the British game, off the top of my head I would say that would be only bettered by Castleford.

And another point, on Tuesday's and Friday's I go for a pint in a popular local, there is anywhere up to 12/14 of us that congregates - a reasonable cross section of clientele - nearly all can tell you everything you wish to know about the round ball game, the upcoming games, recent results, league positions, who plays for who etc etc,  but apart from making a passing enquiry in how their local professional RL team are doing they have little to no interest, there is me and one other guy - both season ticket holders - who regularly attend albeit he doesn't go to away games. The reason I am saying this is that those returns could be much worse in other towns and cities where the number of people per capita attending or having any interest in the sport is of a much less %, at the other end of the scale is Leeds with approx 12/13,000 regular attendees out of an 800,000 population, put like that Leigh do reasonably well.

PS, I won't even go anywhere near mentioning the interest in the towns two local NCL teams!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

If Leigh can average 6,000 home fans over the season that will be very good Dav, that will more than double what they averaged last season for a team that was unbeaten at home, and in '17 there was in the region of 5,500 average number of home fans.

6,000 represents something in the region of 14% demographically of the towns 42,000 population, that would put Leigh high up on the list of 'target audience' figures returned for any team in the British game, off the top of my head I would say that would be only bettered by Castleford.

And another point, on Tuesday's and Friday's I go for a pint in a popular local, there is anywhere up to 12/14 of us that congregates - a reasonable cross section of clientele - nearly all can tell you everything you wish to know about the round ball game, the upcoming games, recent results, league positions, who plays for who etc etc,  but apart from making a passing enquiry in how their local professional RL team are doing they have little to no interest, there is me and one other guy - both season ticket holders - who regularly attend albeit he doesn't go to away games. The reason I am saying this is that those returns could be much worse in other towns and cities where the number of people per capita attending or having any interest in the sport is of a much less %, at the other end of the scale is Leeds with approx 12/13,000 regular attendees out of an 800,000 population, put like that Leigh do reasonably well.

PS, I won't even go anywhere near mentioning the interest in the towns two local NCL teams!

Nice story but it was still a very poor turnout for a team that’s going so well & will be a major concern for the owner who has pumped in so much to build a team that on the pitch finally looks like it belongs in Superleague,obviously the leopard print rebrand isn’t proving popular with the Leigh residents.

10 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Nice story but it was still a very poor turnout for a team that’s going so well & will be a major concern for the owner who has pumped in so much to build a team that on the pitch finally looks like it belongs in Superleague,obviously the leopard print rebrand isn’t proving popular with the Leigh residents.

I don't think what your shirt looks like would affect whether you go to support yor team. Fax could wear bright pink with luminous green tadpoles on and I'd still go to the match. I wouldn't be buying the shirt mind. 😬

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Davo5 said:

I don't think the Leopard print has anything to do with anything Dav, it is the interest in the game that is the common denominator, not only in Leigh but across the RL spectrum in this country as my previous post indicates For that reason I don't see that IMG's involvement will improve anything, I know this won't happen but if Leigh got an 'A' grade do you think that would entice any of those I congregate with to attend? For a start they and most other people don't even know of IMG's involvement and their stratergies and that most probably also applies to 90% of those who do attend unless they come onto platforms such as this or buy the sports publications, try it, ask people who and what IMG are to Rugby League, I have and recieved blank expressions.

4 minutes ago, Ovenden Grunt said:

I don't think what your shirt looks like would affect whether you go to support yor team. Fax could wear bright pink with luminous green tadpoles on and I'd still go to the match. I wouldn't be buying the shirt mind. 😬

Exactly Grunter, there is still quite a number of Cherry & White tops still evident on match days.

46 minutes ago, Ovenden Grunt said:

It actually makes quite a big difference. 

Some sports teams are "easier" to support once you see their colours.

It is why a number of NFL teams choose black for example. 

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

All thats saying H is that you're club try 10 times as hard to achieve half as much... this is not a good argument.

1 hour ago, Madrileño said:

It actually makes quite a big difference. 

The question was directed at Leigh with their new design kit, if you read back you will see what prompted that question, now I don't know what your expierence is of that town but I have given you a clue with regards to its population figures, I will stand by the change of kit is insignificant in its attendance figures it makes no difference.

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

The question was directed at Leigh with their new design kit, if you read back you will see what prompted that question, now I don't know what your expierence is of that town but I have given you a clue with regards to its population figures, I will stand by the change of kit is insignificant in its attendance figures it makes no difference.

So  one of the rebrand aims wasn’t to attract new fans then ?

Just now, Harry Stottle said:

How so Tommy?

Your point is that Leigh do well on a local level with a % of their population. 

Yet that in raw figures is still half (and we're being kind) of the club you chose to compare with. 

Its a bit like saying everyone in the village goes to the corner shop but only 1% of the people in the city go to a particular supermarket, so the corner shop does better as a business?

15% of 40k (your Leigh figure) is half as much as just 1.5% of 800k. That is the inherent advantage of a larger market. It is not good point for Leigh to be pointing that out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

…  For that reason I don't see that IMG's involvement will improve anything, I know this won't happen but if Leigh got an 'A' grade do you think that would entice any of those I congregate with to attend? For a start they and most other people don't even know of IMG's involvement and their stratergies and that most probably also applies to 90% of those who do attend unless they come onto platforms such as this or buy the sports publications, try it, ask people who and what IMG are to Rugby League, I have and recieved blank expressions.

The strategy for IMG is not to increase following by dishing out A licences, it’s that clubs which warrant A licences, will be attracting fans themselves by achieving the criteria of being an A licence club.

You are right, no one is coming to the fixtures because they heard IMG are involved. I don’t think anyone thinks that.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Ah OK. Yeah I was not aware you were talking about Leigh.

Am not sure why Rugby League teams only seem to expect/target support from their own town. Other sports don't appear to think like that. It feels really small-time, as if they are admitting that growth is impossible beyond their own locality. 

Edited by Madrileño

Am not sure why Rugby League teams only seem to expect/target support from their own town. Other sports don't appear to think like that. I feels really small-time, as if they are admitting that growth is impossible beyond their own locality. 

H has always had a puzzling theory that you have to live or have been born in the town/city to support its RL team.

• Confused 1

Am not sure why Rugby League teams only seem to expect/target support from their own town. Other sports don't appear to think like that. I feels really small-time, as if they are admitting that growth is impossible beyond their own locality. 

If you ever go to the Challenge Cup final you usually see 1000s of Southern based RL fans in Leeds, Saints, Wigan tops - similar to when you see a Man U top in say Portsmouth- lots of London and SE fans follow SL and adopt a team to support.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

Your point is that Leigh do well on a local level with a % of their population. 

Yet that in raw figures is still half (and we're being kind) of the club you chose to compare with. 

Its a bit like saying everyone in the village goes to the corner shop but only 1% of the people in the city go to a particular supermarket, so the corner shop does better as a business?

15% of 40k (your Leigh figure) is half as much as just 1.5% of 800k. That is the inherent advantage of a larger market. It is not good point for Leigh to be pointing that out.

It seems to Leigh are just proving the need for expansion, whilst they seem to think it is vice versa.

And when Toulouse averaged 4,500 with no away fans.

it's an odd argument for sure.

1 hour ago, Leonard said:

It seems to Leigh are just proving the need for expansion, whilst they seem to think it is vice versa.

And when Toulouse averaged 4,500 with no away fans.

it's an odd argument for sure.

I don't have a dog in this fight, if anything I'm a Toulouse advocate, but having been to 2 of their home games last year honestly anybody who believed their published attendance figures might also want to buy this beautiful bridge I've just put on the market 😃

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

4 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

By your way then Tommy, the combined populations of Wigan, Warrington, St Helens and Leigh is still below that of Leeds but will average well over three times as many fans of Rugby League Football through their doors, the only conclusion I can see is whoever is the marketing man at your club is not very good at his job is he? No way is he taking advantage of the "inherent advantage of a larger market"