Attendance thread

On 24/04/2023 at 09:24, Just Browny said:

Not bad but that Salford side deserves a bigger audience.

Indeed , they deserve 5 figure crowds with the entertainment they are putting on show , but as long as the numbers are going up , that's good 

13 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Was it two different guys you spoke to or did he change his mind?

I can't remember every word of the conversation but he said there was no way 10,000 in today and later in the conversation said no more than 8,000, sorry i will remember to record conversations in future.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, daz39 said:

I can't remember every word of the conversation but he said there was no way 10,000 in today and later in the conversation said no more than 8,000, sorry i will remember to record conversations in future.

Later in the conversation had the full time Claxton sounded?🤔

42 minutes ago, daz39 said:

Less than 8,000 is a subset of less than 10,000, what he said is fine. 

• Like 1

Latest NRL Round

19,548 - Bunnies v Panthers (great game)

11,864 - Eels v Broncos

12,148 - Dogs v Sharks

17,970 - Cows v Knights

22,034 - Dolphins v Titans (brilliant match)

10,033 - Tigs v Sea Eagles

40,192 - Roosters v Drag’s (ANZAC Day)

23,469 - Storm v Warriors (ANZAC Day)

Edited by Sports Prophet
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Latest NRL Round

11,864 - Eels v Broncos

12,148 - Dogs v Sharks

17,970 - Cows v Knights

I've put up a blog article on NRL attendances to celebrate the amazing they are so far. 

https://rugbyl.blogspot.com/2023/04/nrl-attendances-2023-rounds-1-8.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

16 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Latest NRL Round

11,864 - Eels v Broncos

12,148 - Dogs v Sharks

17,970 - Cows v Knights

Any idea why the Eels crowd was so low? 

England v France, 8,422

Lowest non-covid England crowd since England played France in Leigh in 2015. Just over a thousand down on last year's CNAS match.

• Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

England v France, 8,422

Lowest non-covid England crowd since England played France in Leigh in 2015. Just over a thousand down on last year's CNAS match.

World Cup Legacy. 

But, I've been criticised many times for this view, but the French national team make themselves hard to want to support. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dave T said:

World Cup Legacy. 

But, I've been criticised many times for this view, but the French national team make themselves hard to want to support. 

Which is why you don't play the game where people can pick and choose which top level (I leave that open to debate for the match thread) rugby league they can watch because they have so much of it on their doorstep every weekend during the season.

• Like 4

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

12 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

England v France, 8,422

Held at a modern heartlands stadium, but only 3 sides of the ground open. 

I guess that tells us about the demand to see England play.

Lowest since 2015.... that is desperate stuff. The 2015 game was ridiculed by fans for being held at Leigh, so is probably a bit of an outlier. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Which is why you don't play the game where people can pick and choose which top level (I leave that open to debate for the match thread) rugby league they can watch because they have so much of it on their doorstep every weekend during the season.

Very good point

• Like 1

If your core support aren’t interested in watching the game on their doorstep, its going to be incredibly tough to get signed off to be played well away from your core support, which is going to need far greater finances behind it than doing little and playing it at Warrington or Leeds and getting 7-9k attending. 

4 minutes ago, Jughead said:

If your core support aren’t interested in watching the game on their doorstep, its going to be incredibly tough to get signed off to be played well away from your core support, which is going to need far greater finances behind it than doing little and playing it at Warrington or Leeds and getting 7-9k attending. 

Thing is, as we keep repeating, England's highest attendances are consistently outside the heartlands.

• Like 2

Just now, gingerjon said:

Thing is, as we keep repeating, England's highest attendances are consistently outside the heartlands.

During World Cup’s and series’ against New Zealand. Meaningless mid-season friendlies outside of the heartlands are untested and almost certainly won’t be tested because of the risk involved. 

6 hours ago, Madrileño said:

Held at a modern heartlands stadium, but only 3 sides of the ground open. 

I guess that tells us about the demand to see England play.

Lowest since 2015.... that is desperate stuff. The 2015 game was ridiculed by fans for being held at Leigh, so is probably a bit of an outlier. 

Wow - you have negative comments about the UK game.... who would have thought 🤣🤣🤣

The decision to close one stand was probably the correct one as it made the rest of the ground look more full. It gave the impression of a higher crowd than last year's mid-season match at Warrington.

I do have sympathy for the RFL. Play France and it's a tough sell because everyone in the heartlands knows it will be a walkover. Play a Combined Nations team and it lacks legitimacy.

Round 9 NRL

8,148 - Cronulla vs Cows

15,875 - Parra vs Newcastle

40,102 - Brisbane vs Souths

10,445 - Canberra vs Dolphins (played in Wagga)

10,107 - Manly vs Gold Coast

11,055 - Penrith vs Wests (played in Bathurst)

20,395 - Warriors vs Easts

16,678 - St George vs Canterbury

Rd average - 16,601

• Like 1

20 hours ago, gingerjon said:

England v France, 8,422

But some people were saying the game being at Warrington and a double header was the right thing.

A crowd of 5k+ should have been a target for a standalone women's international before the men's match was even brought into the equation.

The whole thing was just another wasted opportunity.

• Like 3