Attendance thread

15 hours ago, Chris22 said:

Some stadiums hide empty seats better than others. For example, it's immediately obvious at Wembley with its bright red seats but I've always thought less so a stadiums with darker coloured seats like St James' Park.

Aussie grounds seem to make gaps in the crowd far less conspicuous - I think partly because of the seat colours and partly because of lighting. In the UK tend to have bright, primary-colour seats which stand out a mile when empty.

• Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

2 hours ago, Ragingbull said:

Less than 6k home fans for a team 2nd in the league is pretty poor isnt it. 

Maybe Degsy should try another rebrand.

Dissapointing without a doubt , but hopefully will have helped us going forward , our previous televised games were 3 defeats at home to Salford twice and Wigan , then the magic demolishing of Wakey , the general concencious locally by those only watching on TV has been we are rubbish and have been lucky , my brother in law who I work with has consistently all season said Leyth are sheeite and the other team must have been worse , " they'll never beat Saints or Wigan " 

This morning upon him entering the van it was " Leigh played well , play like that and they'll beat Saints " , I then informed him we'd been playing like that pretty much after round 1 apart from the Wigan and Salford games on TV 

So hopefully perceptions are changing , I just posted on the Leigh thread about a conversation with an attendee at the Wigan game of Friday , where apparently they were all that bored they were all discussing how good Leigh were 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JonM said:

Attendance was 4829.

Lets not deny it, Bradford is a huge City and have huge potential. A crowd of just under 5k is fine, but its overall 'income' thats the be all and end all. They Should be in SL, as Should Toulouse as Should Fev. A 28 game SL suits me just fine- with a 3 day Magic weekend over a BH.

Revenue is King, and I doubt that many (if any) of Leighs 6k attendance is a freebie of such, but things are quietly ticking over. Well done to Hull, Wigan and Saints who constantly get 10k plus also. What revenue they get from those gates though would be interesting.

I think we are getting somewhere though for sure !

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

Dissapointing without a doubt , but hopefully will have helped us going forward , our previous televised games were 3 defeats at home to Salford twice and Wigan , then the magic demolishing of Wakey , the general concencious locally by those only watching on TV has been we are rubbish and have been lucky , my brother in law who I work with has consistently all season said Leyth are sheeite and the other team must have been worse , " they'll never beat Saints or Wigan " 

This morning upon him entering the van it was " Leigh played well , play like that and they'll beat Saints " , I then informed him we'd been playing like that pretty much after round 1 apart from the Wigan and Salford games on TV 

So hopefully perceptions are changing , I just posted on the Leigh thread about a conversation with an attendee at the Wigan game of Friday , where apparently they were all that bored they were all discussing how good Leigh were 😉

I think the big test will come on how many memberships we can sell next season. There have been a number of false dawns for Leigh over the last 30 years or so, so it's going to take time to build. 

We have three games in September, might be worth selling a bundle of tickets for all three games for a reasonable price that might encourage folk.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Just Browny said:

Aussie grounds seem to make gaps in the crowd far less conspicuous - I think partly because of the seat colours and partly because of lighting. In the UK tend to have bright, primary-colour seats which stand out a mile when empty.

Yep York stadium has that ....makes a big difference to the look on TV when the ground isn't full 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Yep York stadium has that ....makes a big difference to the look on TV when the ground isn't full 

Something else Yorks stadium, has going for it is the camera position facing the big main stand. The CC quarter was my first visit there and i was quite surprised at just how small a couple of the stands were - from what I'd seen on TV previously i was expecting a mini LSV(4 relatively equal sized stands) whereas it's more of a mini AJ Bell(a really nice, bigger main stand and 3 much smaller and basic stands). The TV angle does a good job of covering that fact and it's something the AJ Bell could learn from as it TV games always make that stadium look a lot worse that it is when you can only see the 3 cow sheds.

• Like 1

On 02/07/2023 at 18:14, GUBRATS said:

So for Leeds Rhino's benefit , but detrimental to the image of the sport as a whole 

Some would argue that's what's been wrong with RL for its whole life , and indeed something i'm sure some Rhino's fans on here have criticised other ' lesser ' clubs for in the past 

Feel free to reply , but I've said my piece and won't continue this line of discussion 😉

chuckle...

you never know if sky were involved where they wanted the camera's when initial planning... no idea but conjecture given their importance may suggest they had an input as to where they prefer the camera's to be... 

On 02/07/2023 at 15:25, EggFace said:

The heads that be need to change it so we have a great view of the fans and not an empty stand as it's not a good look of the game.

Guess as a wakey fan a good view of then fans maybe more of a priority than a good view of the pitch ?!

17 hours ago, phiggins said:

I think the big test will come on how many memberships we can sell next season. There have been a number of false dawns for Leigh over the last 30 years or so, so it's going to take time to build. 

We have three games in September, might be worth selling a bundle of tickets for all three games for a reasonable price that might encourage folk.

Or offer season ticket holders an early deal for the Wigan game that results in little supply being available for general sale, a few days before offer the £75 for 3 games or a £60 deal for the extremities of East and West.

Once you cheapen admission you are on a road to nowhere, we will average over 7000 this season and hopefully over 8000 next. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Or offer season ticket holders an early deal for the Wigan game that results in little supply being available for general sale, a few days before offer the £75 for 3 games or a £60 deal for the extremities of East and West.

Once you cheapen admission you are on a road to nowhere, we will average over 7000 this season and hopefully over 8000 next. 

I was thinking £75 for the three games, wouldn't expect them to be made cheaper than the cost per game for a season ticket holder. Though, I think they'll keep the prices as they are, but also have a surprise or two when it comes to the pre match stuff. Which I'm also fine with.

Would also like to see some promotion of the Catalans game start now as well.

4,879 at Bradford v Keighley, that’s a respectable crowd. Pleased to see London and Swinton both get into four figures as well, against teams (Newcastle and Sheffield) who won’t have taken many away fans. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Eddie said:

4,879 at Bradford v Keighley, that’s a respectable crowd. Pleased to see London and Swinton both get into four figures as well, against teams (Newcastle and Sheffield) who won’t have taken many away fans. 

I heard somewhere London were playing in Ebbsfleet...is that right?

12 hours ago, phiggins said:

I was thinking £75 for the three games, wouldn't expect them to be made cheaper than the cost per game for a season ticket holder. Though, I think they'll keep the prices as they are, but also have a surprise or two when it comes to the pre match stuff. Which I'm also fine with.

Would also like to see some promotion of the Catalans game start now as well.

I think today's announcement of the 7500 average being the benchmark for IMG points might see something like this happen, or at least a bigger push than would have been as we're currently averaging 7085. It's unlikely to hit 7.5k but whilst it's still possible it wouldn't surprise me if DB goes all out, especially after the year we've had.

4 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

I think today's announcement of the 7500 average being the benchmark for IMG points might see something like this happen, or at least a bigger push than would have been as we're currently averaging 7085. It's unlikely to hit 7.5k but whilst it's still possible it wouldn't surprise me if DB goes all out, especially after the year we've had.

Depends what happens in the run in , if we can keep a fully fit squad and still be in a similar position as we are now when it comes to the last regular season game against Wigan then that one game could bounce our average , I am referring to home fans , not travelling Wiganers 

29 minutes ago, LeytherRob said:

Isn’t it next year teams will be aiming for the 7500 average?

I recall a similar criteria of around 2500 being used for the previous attempts at licensing, and Fax declaring their last home crowd as the exact number to get to that average. 

35 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Depends what happens in the run in , if we can keep a fully fit squad and still be in a similar position as we are now when it comes to the last regular season game against Wigan then that one game could bounce our average , I am referring to home fans , not travelling Wiganers 

So 1 game at 12k is 5k above average, averaging that out across 13 games is an extra 350 ish onto the average however that is presuming the remaining games are all around the 7k mark

Edited by yipyee
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, phiggins said:

Isn’t it next year teams will be aiming for the 7500 average?

I recall a similar criteria of around 2500 being used for the previous attempts at licensing, and Fax declaring their last home crowd as the exact number to get to that average. 

Having looked again, the average is across 3 years, so when grading comes in it will take into account 2022,23,24 crowds so will be massively dragged down by 2022. We're currently averaging 5050 when including 2022 and 23 so far so way off 7.5k, although that will only keep rising the longer we stay in SL. 

8 hours ago, LeytherRob said:

If Leigh, from a small town surrounded by successful RL and football towns and cities can average 7,500 it will be the greatest attendance achievement in the history of the game - particularly with the context of gates at many established SL clubs. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, OnStrike said:

I heard somewhere London were playing in Ebbsfleet...is that right?

Yes. Attendance given as 1208. They also play Toulouse there on Saturday afternoon, with a women's game after the men.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JonM said:

Yes. Attendance given as 1208. They also play Toulouse there on Saturday afternoon, with a women's game after the men.

Having lived in Kent (and watched London at Charlton) it does seem to me an area that could support a RL team so who knows maybe Kent Broncos is a better bet than a London one.

31 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

Having lived in Kent (and watched London at Charlton) it does seem to me an area that could support a RL team so who knows maybe Kent Broncos is a better bet than a London one.

Haven’t they had a (short lived) pro RL team before?