Gambling / Betfred

To be clear, most PL clubs remain very much open to receiving money from gambling companies.

But this is a step, cosmetic as it may be, that other sports will almost certainly take sooner or later.

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

To be clear, most PL clubs remain very much open to receiving money from gambling companies.

But this is a step, cosmetic as it may be, that other sports will almost certainly take sooner or later.

The direction of travel is only way now. More restrictions will follow over the next few years.

Not that I like gambling sponsors whatsoever, but this might play well for RL as there'll be a few companies out there used to getting on prime time Sky Sports who might need a new vehicle to get there. 

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

9 minutes ago, OnStrike said:

The direction of travel is only way now. More restrictions will follow over the next few years.

I think once the PL clubs get rid of stadium and all shirt sponsorship from gambling companies, that'll be the significant step, as those companies won't be willing to spend anywhere near the same amount if their names aren't visible.

As it currently is, they'll still be prominently visible at the matches.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

Will this hit RL down the line ?

Yes and so it should. In my eyes there is no difference between advertising alcohol or cigarettes being on the front of the shirts. Sends a terrible message to children and is an unnecessary temptation for gambling addicts which could actually prove restrictive in terms of them accessing the sport. 

Kick gambling advertising and sponsorship out of the game completely. If the powers to be think that the game would struggle without Betfred, it was their own stupid fault fir basically letting them fund the game almost completely.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

But gambling sponsorship will still be allowed on shirt sleeves and pitch-side LED boards. Usual nonsense from sports NGBs.

• Like 2

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

Yes, but as has been pointed out, it's the direction of travel that matters.  They've already had a go at clubs that use private aircraft for internal short-hop flights to away fixtures, so I guess that airlines in general with their effect on our climate will be next, then what?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spidey said:

Short-term opportunity to sell advertising to firms who can no longer use Premier League, long term risk yes. I don't think the Govt. will ever outright ban gambling ads though - if anything this football change might make it less of a pressing issue.

Let's be honest though Betfred isn't really a sponsor, it's Fred putting his money into rugby league in a wider way than owning a club. He only does it because we can't actually sell our properties to anyone else, Betfred would happily allow other firms to take up things like the England shirt contract. Our issue is that the RFLs commercial team haven't sold anything apart from small stuff like that embarrassing "free pizza for players" contra deal for about a decade 

• Like 2

Apparently this site says I "won the day" here on 23rd Jan, 19th Jan, 9th Jan also 13th December, whatever any of that means. Anyway, 4 times in a few weeks? The forum must be going to the dogs - you people need to seriously up your game. Where's Dutoni when you need him?

It’ll happen eventually across all sports. This will be the catalyst, you’d expect. 

It’s TV advert after TV advert in the immediate buildup to a game with live odds that I find more targeted and abhorrent than the name of a bookmaker I’ve never heard of plastered across the third kit of Southampton. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sam4731 said:

Yes and so it should. In my eyes there is no difference between advertising alcohol or cigarettes being on the front of the shirts. Sends a terrible message to children and is an unnecessary temptation for gambling addicts which could actually prove restrictive in terms of them accessing the sport. 

Kick gambling advertising and sponsorship out of the game completely. If the powers to be think that the game would struggle without Betfred, it was their own stupid fault fir basically letting them fund the game almost completely.

What about the people that like smoking, drinking and gambling?

I think it's unlikely that the govt will ban gambling advertising anytime soon unlike the ciggies ban, so I don't think there's an immediate crisis brewing.

I think gambling will end up like alcohol - restrictions on certain commercial aspects, but overall still very much part of sport.

Rugby League could capitalise on this, I would welcome every single betting company to plaster out shirts, stadiums, even kicking tees!!! 

Our League AND Challenge cup are sponsored by the lovely Fred Done aka Betfred.

Gambling companies pay lots and lots of money to sponsor football, I'm sure you'll agree money( however it occurs) is welcome in this sport

The changes voted in by the Premier League, to my understanding, are actually minimal. Effectively, you can have a betting company’s logo on your shorts, on the sleeves of your shirt, in on the back of your shirt, you can name your stadium after a betting company, you can even have pitchside LED boards advertising a betting company, what you can’t do, however, is have the betting company on the front of your shirt. 

If Rugby League followed suit, I think the effect would be minimal and probably only be an issue to England. Though they never play, so it doesn’t really matter. 

Edited by Jughead