England Squad 2023

https://www.rugby-league.com/article/61618/shaun-wane-names-england-mens-squad-for-2023

40 man squad

• Jordan Abdull (Hull KR)
  • Andy Ackers (Salford Red Devils)
  • Matty Ashton (Warrington Wolves)
  • Daryl Clark (Warrington Wolves)
  • Ben Currie (Warrington Wolves)
  • Tom Davies (Catalans Dragons)
  • Tyler Dupree (Salford Red Devils)
  • Lewis Dodd (St Helens)
  • Liam Farrell (Wigan Warriors)
  • Morgan Gannon (Leeds Rhinos)
  • Ash Handley (Leeds Rhinos)
  • James Harrison (Warrington Wolves)
  • Ethan Havard (Wigan Warriors)
  • Chris Hill (Huddersfield Giants)
  • Tom Holroyd (Leeds Rhinos)
  • Tom Johnstone (Catalans Dragons)
  • Toby King (Wigan Warriors)
  • Morgan Knowles (St Helens)
  • Matty Lees (St Helens)
  • Mikey Lewis (Hull KR)
  • Jez Litten (Hull KR)
  • Jonny Lomax (St Helens)
  • Tommy Makinson (St Helens)
  • Liam Marshall (Wigan Warriors)
  • Mike McMeeken (Catalans Dragons)
  • Harry Newman (Leeds Rhinos)
  • Matty Nicholson (Warrington Wolves)
  • Mikolaj Oledzki (Leeds Rhinos)
  • Kai Pearce-Paul (Wigan Warriors)
  • Mark Percival (St Helens)
  • Will Pryce (Huddersfield Giants)
  • Harry Smith (Wigan Warriors)
  • Morgan Smithies (Wigan Warriors)
  • Josh Thewlis (Warrington Wolves)
  • Danny Walker (Warrington Wolves)
  • Alex Walmsley (St Helens)
  • Jake Wardle (Wigan Warriors)
  • Jack Welsby (St Helens)
  • George Williams (Warrington Wolves)
  • Oliver Wilson (Huddersfield Giants)

A look to the future, mixed with plenty of mainstays. I’m surprised Cam Smith isn’t in as well tbh. He’s a throwback and a point of difference we could potentially use in the forwards against the sides from down under.

Plenty of time for that to change though but the competition will be tough, with Smithies playing extremely well, Knowles obviously a top player and Radley being first choice. He does feel like a good bench option, alongside one of those however. 

Pretty exciting squad & not many complaints over the selections/non selections & with the NRL players to come in it shows we have some genuine depth now in most positions.

Edited by Davo5
  • Like 1

On 13/04/2023 at 15:41, Chrispmartha said:

Surprised Cam Smith isn't in there TBH

Extraordinary considering the performance/ statistics this season..... ....he's also not a grub like Smithies or Knowles .....essential if we don't want to go down to 12 men ...also has a better rugby brain in attached than either...he can carry to the line and pass late better than any loose in SL

11 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

I’d go with:

1. Welsby 2. Ashton 3. Newman 4. Wardle 5. Johnstone 6. Williams 7. H Smith 8. Oledzki 9. Clarke 10. Walmsley 11. Nicholson 12. McMeeken 13. Smithies

14. Harvard 15. Lees 16. Pearce-Paul 17. Ackers

Planning for 2025.

Don't think I'd argue much with that team, maybe give a younger prop a go ahead of Walmsley as we know what he can do.

Before the season I'd have had Dodd ahead of Smith but not now after what I've seen of them this year so far

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

55 minutes ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

Don't think I'd argue much with that team, maybe give a younger prop a go ahead of Walmsley as we know what he can do.

Before the season I'd have had Dodd ahead of Smith but not now after what I've seen of them this year so far

Aye - you are right. I’ll change Walmsley for Wilson. Start Lees. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

Tommy Holroyd is Leeds’ form prop at the moment I think he’s in with a shout.

Saints players will probably pull out before the game anyway

• Like 1

On 15/04/2023 at 09:51, Chrispmartha said:

Saints players will probably pull out before the game anyway

I doubt Walmsley will be playing as he isn't due back from his hamstring injury until sometime in early May as he was given a 4-6 week recovery time, and Knowles is banned so definately wont be playing

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

On 13/04/2023 at 20:48, WN83 said:

Radley being first choice

We'll need cover for Radley, if he keeps picking up bans like he's been doing recently.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

We'll need cover for Radley, if he keeps picking up bans like he's been doing recently.

Yes, Radley is prone to getting a ban or two.  Luckily we have the squeaky clean Morgan Knowles as backup.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

16 hours ago, shrewsbury roughyed said:

Great to see Tyler Dupree in there. Not long since he was playing for Oldham. Makes you wonder how many as yet 'undiscovered' top level players are in league 1 and Championship, who with dedication, full time training and opportunity could make the same journey.

Matty Ashton is in the squad as well who was playing Championship with us at Swinton, Ackers was at Swinton when Warrington released him and Marshall played a year on loan as Wigan were not sure if he would make it, round that off with players like Frankie Halton who swinton signed from Leigh Miners and now is playing for Hull KR and alongside players like Dupree who stood out a mile when we played Oldham. I think Louis Brogan will be another one at Swinton who goes on to better things at the end of the season if he applies himself

"When you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get." -Homer Simpson

mark.gif

"I couldn't be more chuffed if I were a badger at the start of the mating season" Ian Holloway